Video Game Elitist

Re: straight edge

Post by Joe » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 am

I had no clue.

-Joe.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:01 am

servo wrote:what does this sentence mean?

The highlight of the show was Choke back is loved hockey stick cause people woouldn't stop spitting beer on him.
The highlight of the show was Choke broke his loved hockey stick cause people wouldn't stop spitting beer on him.

Funny I didn't notice that and no one mentioned until hours later. Odd isn't it?
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:11 am

um.....this band fucking rules.
http://www.myspace.com/letxdown
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:13 am

Good stuff.

As we all know, besides Catharsis, ORCHID is the best edge band.

-Joe.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:34 am

davo- saying the first generation or wave is more original and better is like saying my(or your) great great great grandfather was a better man than i(or you) could ever be. which might or might not be true...

joe- good enticement
bullettooth- still hilarious
tyler- stranglehold 4evr

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:39 pm

I don't really count Minor Threat as a straightedge band, but some people make that stretch, and I like them. I also like Gorilla Biscuits. Just about every other straightedge band I have heard has been awful, but then again... I have no interest in hardcore as a genre.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm

My only contribution to this thread is to refute Ryan's statement, and declare that the U.S. Bombs and The Humpers are both fucking fantastic.

That's all.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:11 pm

seconded. more for the Humpers, but US Bombs are aiiiiight.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm

i dislike the humpers and cannot stand us bombs gross.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:25 pm

elliot wrote:My only contribution to this thread is to refute Ryan's statement, and declare that the U.S. Bombs and The Humpers are both fucking fantastic.

That's all.

What? Sorry, my eyes started to glaze over once you mentioned U.S. Bombs. Those guys are so. fucking. boring. as are The Humpers.

Your silence on the issue of X after "Los Angeles" is noted, however.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 pm

El Rhino wrote:
elliot wrote:My only contribution to this thread is to refute Ryan's statement, and declare that the U.S. Bombs and The Humpers are both fucking fantastic.

That's all.

What? Sorry, my eyes started to glaze over once you mentioned U.S. Bombs. Those guys are so. fucking. boring. as are The Humpers.

Oh shit, I forgot about X. Their first four albums rule. Your musical taste is wrong, wrong, wrong!

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm

joseph wrote:davo- saying the first generation or wave is more original and better is like saying my(or your) great great great grandfather was a better man than i(or you) could ever be. which might or might not be true...

joe- good enticement
tyler- stranglehold 4evr
That argument isn't going to work. See listening to first generation and current bands doesn't involve time travel. See I can listen to some modern day SE band and then listen to just about any first generation band.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:davo- saying the first generation or wave is more original and better is like saying my(or your) great great great grandfather was a better man than i(or you) could ever be. which might or might not be true...

joe- good enticement
tyler- stranglehold 4evr
That argument isn't going to work. See listening to first generation and current bands doesn't involve time travel. See I can listen to some modern day SE band and then listen to just about any first generation band.
what??
ok. how about the first time you pierced to the last time? which one was better?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 pm

El Rhino wrote:

That's all.

I saw the Humpers about 4 or 5 times and they were anything but boring. I can see if you are going off the one all ages show they did at Safari, you might think they are less then great. I think they only played for about 15 minutes before I had to stop them cause of curfew.

The US Bombs first record is their best stuff. Everything after that has been OK. Live they are one of the best disasters to grace a stage in years.

Los Angeles is a great record but I have to say that the organ drives me nuts. Wild Gift is more driving, hard hitting and punk. Under the Big Black Sun has some of their best songs. Then they moved in a more roots direction, and along with the side project the Knitters they helped developed the whole alt country scene. A lot of the fire of the band left with Billy Zoom. However each album after Under the Big Black Sun had a couple of great songs on it like "The New World", "I must not think bad thoughts" on 'More Fun in the New World', and "Around My Heart" and "What's Wrong With Me..." on 'Ain't Love Grand' and "Surprise, Surprise" and "4th of July" on 'See How We Are'. X like a lot of punk bands evolved over the 10 years they were nonstop active but unlike a lot of bands they didn't evolve to fit the pop music model of the time. They really went in the same direction they had been going for the start. That all said "Hey Zeus!" was really disappointing.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:19 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:

joe- good enticement
tyler- stranglehold 4evr
what??
ok. how about the first time you pierced to the last time? which one was better?
Are we talking about first impressions? Well, on that one you are going to loss, cause I have to say the first time I heard Minor Threat was a great deal more of rush then the first time I heard YOT or Earth Crisis. Sure there is the jaded factor that I had heard a great deal more music by the time Earth Crisis came around but there was something in those earlier bands that spoke to me in a ways EC and most of the modern stuff doesn't. Maybe one of the main probems is that most SE bands tend to be one trick ponies with limited subject matter, agenda and music style. Even by the time YOT was around the subject matter and music had narrow and become, well, dull and boring.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:40 pm

im not talking about impressions. i was making reference to you always saying first generation/wave is better cause it was first. which i think is a horrible defense. also im not trying to get into a this band is better discussion you and i have different likes/dislikes, which is fine.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:42 pm

S-A-N-F-O-R-D PERIOD

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:50 pm

inx515xhell wrote:S-A-N-F-O-R-D PERIOD
i sign for stuff at work daily and started using the period. upsguy got weird about it.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:06 pm

:lol:

baron.von.wasteland

Post by baron.von.wasteland » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:10 pm

My great great great grandfather was a better man the you or me.
eatin witches...elbowin bitches

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:14 pm

baron.von.wasteland wrote:My great great great grandfather was a better man the you or me.
but did he drink pepsi?

jesse p

Post by jesse p » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:17 pm

DaVo reminds me of some teenage nu metal kid. "Man we totally poured peer on this straight edge kid! He was so pissed!" If you can't respect someone's choice to be straight edge (And I don't mean "Man they have so much integrity respect" either) I'm not surprised you don't get respect back. Though I'm sure you're used to not having people respect you.

So many good straight edge bands in the 80s and the 90s. How the fuck can you say Youth of Today played rehashed material, they fucking revitalized the whole straight edge movement on the East Coast. Though I'm sure they care what some turd from Iowa has to say. No one here is impressed that you're an old dipshit.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:33 pm

jesse p wrote: So many good straight edge bands in the 80s and the 90s. How the fuck can you say Youth of Today played rehashed material, they fucking revitalized the whole straight edge movement on the East Coast. Though I'm sure they care what some turd from Iowa has to say. No one here is impressed that you're an old dipshit.

Point being that they revitalized something that sucks and is boring. Just because a turd is born on the East coast does not make it special.

jesse p

Post by jesse p » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:17 am

robdigi wrote:
jesse p wrote: So many good straight edge bands in the 80s and the 90s. How the fuck can you say Youth of Today played rehashed material, they fucking revitalized the whole straight edge movement on the East Coast. Though I'm sure they care what some turd from Iowa has to say. No one here is impressed that you're an old dipshit.

Point being that they revitalized something that sucks and is boring. Just because a turd is born on the East coast does not make it special.
Someone who listens to Yo La Tengo is telling me what is "boring". Clearly you have the words good music confused with complete shit.

Thom

Post by Thom » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:39 am

jesse p wrote:Clearly you have the words good music confused with complete shit.
So many gems in this thread, but this outshines them all. Good form.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:51 am

jesse p wrote:
Someone who listens to Yo La Tengo is telling me what is "boring". Clearly you have the words good music confused with complete shit.

check and mate

loud and fast (and especially loud and slow) does not automatically equal exciting

but go on, enjoy your juvenile singular definition of what is "good"

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:37 am

Shut up Rob.
You circlepitted to CHUD and you liked it.

-Joe.

jesse p

Post by jesse p » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:51 am

robdigi wrote:
jesse p wrote:

check and mate

loud and fast (and especially loud and slow) does not automatically equal exciting

but go on, enjoy your juvenile singular definition of what is "good"
Haha check and mate? Yeah you sure showed me by quoting what I said!

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that you are just some hipster fuck by using the word juvenile. It's obvious that I just don't get music because I'm "young" and "immature". After all, that's the only kind of individuals who listen to hardcore. :roll:

Enough fighting though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwHyx269mmU

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:33 am

Yeah ok. Let me break it down for your reactionary asses. My point is that loud and fast AND slow and simple are both exciting in different ways and that pointing out that I listen to one particular band that is generally mellow has no bearing on my ability to criticize music that isn't. I listen to all kinds of shit (hardcore included) so you can't point out one single band in a misguided attempt to discredit my judgement and expect to make any sense.

I came to the conclusion that you are being juvenile -specifically- because you decided to criticize Yo La Tengo, who could only be considered boring if you have no tolerance for subtlety, diversity, or creativity. It has nothing to do with your age or maturity level (which I don't know, considering this is the first thread I've ever noticed you posting in) and everything to do with your obviously simple and narrow view of what is good music. If you think they are so boring for reasons other than some of their songs having a relatively slow BPM, prove me wrong and elaborate.

But... that's not what this thread is about. It's about how "straightedge" is a boring subject to write music about, and is only relevant within a small and increasingly incestuous music scene. It's like Christian (or any other religious) music. You can believe what you want but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be bored to tears by songs written about those beliefs, especially as a genre.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:26 am

robdigi wrote:It's about how "straightedge" is a boring subject to write music about, and is only relevant within a small and increasingly incestuous music scene.
Bingo.
The best edge bands never fucking talked about straight edge in their music.

-Joe.