More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Re: Recent vinyl acquisitions

Post by servo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:33 pm

i met the kid sam that runs traffic street at the don giovannni show in new jersey last month. good guy. i need to order that. i also need an mp3 of the measures how to thrash a million if you have that sort of technological capability.

this month ive gotten:
7"s
schlong-limp (splatter vinyl)
steinways/peabodys split
steinways-art of the underground singles series #27
authority abuse/kakistocracy split
modern machines/blotto split
calvary-the will of the way
devices/the critic (green splatter)
black castle-night wounds (clear)
v/a we do what we want (olympia comp feat shorebirds)
v/a blleeeeaaauurrrrgghh the record (on clear green. slap a ham #7. paid $4 for this. score of the year so far)

lps
sinking steps rising eyes-majestic blue (whatever color i have is limited to 100)
devices-s/t (green splatter lim 100)
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:56 pm

servo wrote:i met the kid sam that runs traffic street at the don giovannni show in new jersey last month. good guy. i need to order that. i also need an mp3 of the measures how to thrash a million if you have that sort of technological capability.
Yeah, man....Sam is a really good dude. I also think he has one of the best up and coming lables going, in Traffic Street, right now. So you went to the Don. G showcase last month? Lucky bastard...that means you saw both the last Steinways and For Science shows? *jealous*

I was super bummed when the Steinways announced they were splitting, but will be sweet to see what bands form out of their ashes. Same goes for The Ergs! (we already got Psyched to Die), Chinese Telephones, For Science, Dateless, etc. Too many good bands have called it quit recently.

As for the MP3 of the Measure[SA] song, here is the link to the whole Dangerous Intersections, Vol. 2 split. The Dead Mechanical song is the standout track on the split for me. SO good! Sam includes download codes with all of his vinyl releases, so I happen to have these on hand. The quality is only 160kbps, so I am still planning on ripping the record at a higher bitrate myself. I can send you those once I get around to that if you want. I told Sam on future releaes to make the mp3s a higher quality. He said he'd get on that!

Also....that MoMacs/Blotts split rules hard. Glad to see there is someone on here who share an interest in not only records, but also bands that I like.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:01 pm

yeah that don giovanni show was so good. steinways have one more show in them, insubordination fest i believe. for science was awesome and id never listened to them before.

the worst moment of the show was when for science was setting up and all three ergs got on stage and stood near their respective instruments, chuckled, and got off the stage

mikey erg is in so many good bands right now its not even fucking funny.
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:06 pm

@ Servo.....you seriously need to check out The Brokedowns/Turkish Techno split. Both bands fucking own, but the Turkish Techno side just slays, especially the song "Meth Not Meat." To date, it is the best Traffic Street Records release if you ask me, with the Rumspringer e.p.. close behind.

Check it out here: The Brokedowns/Turkish Techno - "Split 7"

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:09 pm

servo wrote:steinways have one more show in them, insubordination fest i believe.
I think that is just speculation at this point. I'll have to ask Grath is that is true or not. Unfortunatley, I can't make the Insub Fest this year. You going?
servo wrote:the worst moment of the show was when for science was setting up and all three ergs got on stage and stood near their respective instruments, chuckled, and got off the stage
What a fucking tease!

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:14 pm

last couple weeks:

LPs
Pig Destroyer - Prowler In The Yard (pink)
Failures
Paintbox - Singing Shouting Crying
Paintbox - Earth Ball Sports Tournament
Sloth - XV (handpainted cover numbered out of 100)
Sloth/Netjajev SS

7"s
Paintbox - Raw Ore / Thorn In My Side
Sloth - Sweet Deal Vince Neil
Sloth - Candy Bar Caper

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:15 pm

i suspect i might go... depends on cam i guess. heh.

i bet good money the steinways play insub fest. ace especially has been vocal about he cannot wait to play "the next last steinways show"

honestly, it wouldnt surprise me if they arent really breaking up and just drop and album on us out of nowhere. they are some wacky guys. and that girl is even wackier

this turkish techno doesnt really jump out at me. i like the second track more than the first.

daaaaaaaaaaaarrin
what percentage of completion has your sloth collection reached?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Servo, if you haven't heard Paintbox you should. I think you'd be really into them.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:20 pm

servo wrote:this turkish techno doesnt really jump out at me.
I guess it prolly isn't for everyone, but I love the shit outta that band.

Also, I got the Steinways set from Insub. '08 on DVD. I'll try and rip it and upload it sometime this weekend.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Hahah my Sloth collection is at like 15% completion or some shit. It's a futile effort, really.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 pm

this thread pisses me off.

Tampa Josh
Keepin it Real, Hatin Herb

Post by Tampa Josh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:29 pm

I just got Skullhead - Odin's Law

Another copy of US of Oi!

Skrewdriver - Blood and Honour, but the insert was missing :x
Thom wrote: At least assholes like tampa josh know they hate people.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:40 pm

inx515xhell wrote:this thread pisses me off.
Srsly. Vinyl is a fucking asshole. Shit enrages me too.

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

What is this a pop punk thread?

Ill be seeing the Brokedowns on Saturday w/ D4, Psyched to Die and Deep Sleep. Killer show.

Also Darrin is that Paintbox 7" new. I have never heard it. I sweat those Paintbox LP's pretty hard. A few years ago I got way into a lot of that Burning Spirits type stuff. You into any others?

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Nick wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:this thread pisses me off.
Srsly. Vinyl is a fucking asshole. Shit enrages me too.
srsly can't tell if you're being a homosashmo on purpose or not. pisses me off cuz i'm broke and can't buy any right now.
clear?

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Maybe Cam will post what he recently bought then you can hate life even more for being broke.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Josh wrote:Ill be seeing the Brokedowns on Saturday w/ D4, Psyched to Die and Deep Sleep. Killer show.
That at the Triple Rock? Also...sweet fucking show indeed.
inx515xhell wrote: srsly can't tell if you're being a homosashmo on purpose or not. pisses me off cuz i'm broke and can't buy any right now.
clear?
Mellow, dude. I was just being sarcastic. I guess it doesn't come off good over the interwebz. Didn't mean to come off as a ass, so sorry. I get a 'lil upset when I go to the store and look at new TVs I can't afford too. It's all good. I just thought you were pissed off because of a thread about vinyl?
Josh wrote:Maybe Cam will post what he recently bought then you can hate life even more for being broke.
I just bought the Quick Fix - "Rat Race 7" from Cam the other day, but I technically haven't "acquired" it yet, as it is still in the mail. Should have it soon I hope.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:05 pm

d4 show josh speaks of is in chicago. im stooooked
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:09 pm

servo wrote:d4 show josh speaks of is in chicago. im stooooked
Reggie's I assume? You see the lineup for the Windy City Sound Clash? Punkrockjeff and Fletcher from The Copyrights are putting it on. Shit is almost better than Insub. Fest.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
V/A - Speed Metal Hell 1 original press
Requiem - Storm Heaven
The Royalties - Welcome to New Jersey 7"

-Joe.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:56 pm

my records are better than your records. see how cool i am.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:18 pm

joseph wrote:my records are better than your records. see how cool i am.
I guess take this thread however you want. I started it to discuss and talk about vinyl with vinyl collectors. Not for a cock showing contest.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Nick wrote:
joseph wrote:my records are better than your records. see how cool i am.
I guess take this thread however you want. I started it to discuss and talk about vinyl with vinyl collectors. Not for a cock showing contest.
i try to buy records only. but collectors are bs

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm

joseph wrote:i try to buy records only. but collectors are bs
I guess the word "collector" was probably used wrong. That makes it seem like I'd collect them like I collect baseball cards or something. I don't buy records just for the purpose of collecting them, I buy them for what is on them...music. That being said, vinyl is sort of a hobby, in that it is the last physical form of music that I take pleasure in actually purchasing for the sake of how it looks (the packaging, inserts, cover art, sleeves, and the vinyl itself). It's much more satisfying for me to purchase a record, take it home and put it on the record player and then read the liner notes, that it is to buy the mp3s or even the CD.

There are the types of people who do buy records simply for the "collector" status of it and I agree, that is total bullshit. They are more worried about what color the record is on and how limited the pressing was, than the music that is on it. Half the time those same people are the assholes that buy multiple copies (colors, variants, etc.) of a certain record in hope of soon after flipping it on eBay for 4 times the amount they paid after it goes out of print. Or the kids that need every single color of every single pressing of every single Hot Water Music/Against Me/No Idea Records band....that is a joke to me. Collectionists and completists are annoying, but if that is what trips their trigger, then so be it.

I guess all I'm saying is, yeah...I like buying and talking about vinyl. I don't buy it as some sort of contest or in hopes of flipping it on eBay to make money. I just like to talk with other record enthusists. I mean how boring of a thread would "Recent MP3 Acquistions" be? At least this is a format that is cool to discuss and form a hobby around.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Nick wrote:
joseph wrote:i try to buy records only. but collectors are bs
I guess the word "collector" was probably used wrong. That makes it seem like I'd collect them like I collect baseball cards or something. I don't buy records just for the purpose of collecting them, I buy them for what is on them...music. That being said, vinyl is sort of a hobby, in that it is the last physical form of music that I take pleasure in actually purchasing for the sake of how it looks (the packaging, inserts, cover art, sleeves, and the vinyl itself). It's much more satisfying for me to purchase a record, take it home and put it on the record player and then read the liner notes, that it is to buy the mp3s or even the CD.

Servo.

I guess all I'm saying is, yeah...I like buying and talking about vinyl. I don't buy it as some sort of contest or in hopes of flipping it on eBay to make money. I just like to talk with other record enthusists. I mean how boring of a thread would "Recent MP3 Acquistions" be? At least this is a format that is cool to discuss and form a hobby around.
-Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:53 pm

^^I'll admit, I've never met Servo and he seems like a solid dude, but that really made me laugh for some reason. Also, if he is the collector type, that's totally cool, I have a LOT of friends that are that way, but that ain't for me. Like I said...whatever floats yer boat.

Still, lolz though. :lol:

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 pm

justfornowplz: hey
justfornowplz: do you like the jonas brothers?
wearedevo33: what are their singles?
justfornowplz: I dunno
justfornowplz: I have their first 7" for sale though
justfornowplz: on red
justfornowplz: limited to 50
justfornowplz: and I have the split they did with Caustic Christ too
justfornowplz: on black, limited to 100
wearedevo33: variant cover?
wearedevo33: photocopied on lime green?
justfornowplz: I don't have that one, just the tour cover.
wearedevo33: cause i have the regular one, i just need the green one now
wearedevo33: i got the new Miley Cyrus cassingle
justfornowplz: Also, if you're interested, I have a test copy of the first Chris Brown 7"
wearedevo33: i have his split with Pennywise from 1998
justfornowplz: GOOD SHIT
wearedevo33: its not that good....

-Joe.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 pm

the clash - first album
the rites - there shall be no encore
stray cats - built for speed
merle haggard - okie from muskogee

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:03 am

i have a pretty choice collection. i put a lot of money into it. its probably one of the best anyone on the board can offer up (cams is larger and the comparative merits of our collections are debatable) i'm proud of it and happy with it. but i collect for music first and foremost. sure i have a lot of rarer versions of some stuff and with certain bands i make it a point to try and get the rarest version, but rarely these days. i would point out that im happy with just having one version of any given record and can think of very few i have multiple copies of.
to offset the cost of my collection and life i flip. oh well. supply and demand etc etc etc
Tu vir nunc es, canis

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:29 am

joseph srsly has a better collection that anyone on this board.
no joking.