More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Josh

Re: omg nick, did you hear the new houseboat songs?

Post by Josh » Wed May 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Ive got that RVIVR 7". If i wasnt so lazy id upload it.

I much prefer Erica and Matts other band prior to this, Hooky. I got that to upload as well. Check it http://www.myspace.com/hookycutsclass

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed May 20, 2009 9:38 pm

And sticking with the Jawbreaker talk, anyone else stoked for Thorns of Life? The couple of live sets I checked out sounded like it should be pretty good stuff.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed May 20, 2009 10:17 pm

I am stoked to hear some studio recorded material from Thorns of Life, but they are easily the most over-hyped band of 2009 (in punk anyway). I mean Cometbus and Schwarzenbach will rule at anything they'll do, but the stuff I've heard so far wasn't mind-blowing or anything. I'd much prefer some new Jawbreaker or Crimpshrine and am more stoked for new Pinhead Gunpowder.

Thom

Post by Thom » Thu May 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Josh wrote:Ive got that RVIVR 7". If i wasnt so lazy id upload it.
I found that RVIVR 7" right after I asked for it. If anyone wants it I can up it. Seems like just about everyone has heard it by now.

If you could either link me/up that hooky I would be stoked.

Nick

omg servo, did you hear the new dear landlord songs?

Post by Nick » Sat May 23, 2009 3:41 pm

There is a thread about it on the PPMB too, but I thought I'd post it here.

This will easily be my #1 album of 2009. I am SO fucking stoked! I have been waiting for this release for over a year. Such a goddamn great band. My boner is massive right now.

Oh and it's up for pre-order over on No Idea Records website. Pre-orders come with cool shit and limited edition screened covers.

Tracklisting:

1. I Live In Hell
2. Rosa
3. High Fives
4. Lake Ontario
5. Landlocked
6. Doormat
7. Three to the Beach
8. Park Bench
9. Goodbye to Oakland
10. Last Time I Checked
11. Whiskey and Records
12. Lost Cause
13. Begging for Tips
14. A World that We Never Made

3 tunes off their upcoming album over on their MySpace page. Get into this!

http://www.myspace.com/letslynchthedearlandlord

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Sun May 24, 2009 1:33 am

gonna wait for the landlord lp to come out before i listen to songs from it.

hung out with sam tonight. went to a show. got the barrakuda 7" and a dangerous intersections iv 7" instead of gad money.
sam is so fucking hilarious and fun and cool.
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun May 24, 2009 1:13 pm

So how was the Mex Levine show?

That's rad you met up with Sam and had a good time. You shoulda picked up all the Dangerous Intersections splits. Sorta funny you got #4 before I have gotten mine and I ordered mine like a month and a half ago....but it was part of a huge pre-order and some shit in that order just got released, so he was holding the rest of it. I can't wait to hear that split.

Also, I think it is pretty safe to say that Dear Landlord record will be my Top release of 2009. I've been anticipating a full length from these dudes for 2 years now.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun May 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Goddamn....another record that will be contender for album of the year. Beyond stoked. Can't wait to see them next weekend. Everyone should come out to this show at the HB next weekend and see these guys. They are gonna rule.

Copied and Pasted from It's Alive Records.

Two summers ago Dear Landlord came out west for the first time. On their merch table at their show at the Awesome Fest in Riverside, California. Brad "Half Pint" had copies of a 4 song 7" by his latest band, The Gateway District. It was, without a doubt the best 7" that came out that year. I told Brad and fellow former Rivethead bass man Nate that if they ever wanted to do another record that It's Alive would love to do it. We were hoping for a 7" and got the incredible news that they were recording a full length instead. When asked if we'd be into it, you better believe we were! I didn't need to hear song one before knowing it was gonna be awesome - and so it is! This is likely to be considered by many the best record It's Alive has ever put out - and they're probably right!

Available now for pre-order at It's Alive Records, The Gateway District - Some Days You Get The Thunder. 13 songs of punk rock served straight up, country fried and even a little folkified. Check out song samples at http://www.myspace.com/itsaliverecords and http://www.myspace.com/thegatewaydistrict

Pre-orders will begin to ship when the album is officially released on June 30th, 2009. If we get them sooner, you'll get them as soon as we do! CD's, LP's, T-shirts and Super Packs are all available for pre-order.

The Gateway District is one of the latest and definitely greatest bands to come out of the Minneapolis, MN scene. Members include Maren (of the Soviettes and Salteens), Carrie (of American Monsters and Salteens), Brad (of Dear Landlord and Rivethead) and Nate (of Banner Pilot, OWTH and Rivethead). Call it a super-group, a side project or whatever you want. All three song writers bring a style of their own to this album making for a great mix of character and approach from song to song. The artwork is fantastic and something you should care to own - 16 page full color booklet. Each band member contributed art for each of their songs, so again, three styles come together to make for an awesome whole. Some days you days you get the thunder... This is gonna be one of those days!

The Gateway District will be doing some touring in support of the album. They will have CD's of Some Days You Get The Thunder for sale at all dates! Catch a show if you can!

** All dates with Banner Pilot and The Manix **

Thursday May 21 - Minneapolis, MN
Getthefuckouttamyhouse w/ Dopamines, Pretty Boy Thorson, Brickfight, Straight As

Friday May 22 - Cedar Falls, IA
1108 House w/ Quick Fix

Saturday May 23 - Chicago, IL
Windy City Sound Clash @ Reggie’s

Monday May 25 - Columbus, OH
Monster House w/ Dopamines, Fop & The Dandys

Tuesday May 26 - Dayton, OH
Dayton Dirt Collective w/ Dopamines, Black River Falls, Raging Nathans

Wednesday May 27 - Cincinnati, OH
Bikehaus w/ Dopamines, Till Plans

Thursday May 28 - St Louis, MO
Tip Top w/ The Humanoids

Friday May 29 - Oklahoma City, OK
OKC Infoshop w/ Needlepoints

Saturday May 30 - Des Moines, IA
Haunted Basement w/ Tyborn Jig, Steve Martin Memorial Service

Nate (guitar) Maren (vocals/guitar) Brad (Drums) Carrie (bass/vocals)

Nick

Gateway District

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:08 pm

For those who didn't pick this up at the show last weekend, I ripped the CD. Amazing album. Early contender for album of the year for me. It's that good. Your thoughts?

Gateway District - "Some Days You Get the Thunder"

01 - Keeps Track Of The Time
02 - Bad Idea
03 - River Trash
04 - Some Days You Get The Thunder
05 - Song For Sue
06 - This Guitar
07 - United Crushers
08 - Odd Pauses
09 - Highway Song
10 - Lake Street Is For Suckers
11 - Falling Down And Leaving Town
12 - September
13 - Run To Me

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:38 pm

This isn't that pop punk message board, so stop making a topic for every dumb fucking band you come across.

-Joe.

Nick

ATTN: Servo

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:24 am

I know you are a big Steinways fan, so you'll appreciate this. Grath Madden was a "contestant" on an MTV show called "Slient Library." Check this out. Lolz.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/403036/s ... id=1614433

What do you suppose the Cheetos were stuck to the fat man's skin with? I hope it was just sweat.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick

Re: ATTN: Servo

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:29 am

Here is what Grath said about that clip:

"We lost that one! I couldn't find the ones under his armpits, so I pulled his pants down, but nothing was there. After that, he showed me the ones under his arms, and I fucking ate the fucking things, and we still didn't win the money on that one. We won $ on most of the other ones, though."

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Re: ATTN: Servo

Post by servo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:56 pm

oh fuuuck man. i used to watch the og japanese version of this game show all the time. had no idea mtv copped that idea...

also, that was hilarious. mostly cuz its grath
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:11 pm

I'd like to see the Japanese version of the show. What was it called?

Also, I'll take this time to post a leak of my most anticipated album of the year. I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago from No Idea, but I couldn't wait for my LP/CD/7" package to show up, so I downloaded this.

A lot of the people over on the Pop Punk Bored are saying this is the best pop punk album since "My Brain Hurts." I just got this a few hours ago and have only listened to it like twice, but I am pretty much in agreeance with those people. Jesus fuck, this is just a ridiculously good album. I am going to try everything I can to try and get these dudes to play Des Moines in the future. Brad (Halfpint) is the drummer in Gateway District as well, so he's already been to the HB and I talked with him some that night. I hope he can convice the other dudes to come play here.

Dear Landlord - "Dream Homes"

Adam Fletcher - bass, vocals
Brad Lokkesmoe - drums, words
Brett Hunter - guitar, vocals
Zack Gontard - guitar, vocals

Recorded by Jacques Wait at the Terrarium in Minneapolis in March 2009.
Mixed & mastered by Jacques at his apartment.

1. I Live in Hell
2. Rosa
3. High Fives
4. Lake Ontario
5. Landlocked
6. Doormat
7. Three to the Beach
8. Park Bench
9. Goodbye to Oakland
10. Last Time I Checked
11. Whiskey and Records
12. Lost Cause
13. Begging for Tips
14. A World that We Never Made

Hanging around outside the OWTH show at THE FEST 6, I remember berating someone in DEAR LANDLORD, Zack maybe? “Let me put out your record!! Let me put out your record!! I’m not kidding!!” And I am never that aggressively to-the-point. There was just something in their brand of Minneapolis madness run through a Chicago grinder that made all reason fly out the window! Heart pounding punk rock! Immediate and relentless! Anyhow, he seemed flattered but said they had, literally, NO songs. In the interim two years, OWTH put out 37 records and then, out of the bleu, I get the call, “Hey, were you serious about putting out that DEAR LANDLORD record?” I said, “Yup,” and the rest is historically exciting and relevant to your life, and those you love. --Var.

Have you ever held a conch shell up to your ear so you can hear the ocean’s quiet roar? This DEAR LANDLORD record is kinda like that, but instead you’ve woken up bleary-eyed on a dirty couch, stumbled out the front door into the brightly burning 2PM sun, found an empty 40 oz bottle laying in the dirt and held it up to your ear. The echoes of last night’s blackout pour forth and suddenly foggy memories snap sharply into focus. Pangs of regret stab you in the gut like a knife to the back and you start to wonder where it all went wrong. DEAR LANDLORD are here to remind you. Bordering on super-group status with members of Illinois power-pop masterminds THE COPYRIGHTS and Minneapolis Weasel-worshippers RIVETHEAD, they carry the torch high, burning brightest when they step to the mic together for anthemic choruses cut by snotty leads and broken wrists flying at breakneck speeds. Sign up and cast off, because if you’re holding this in your hands you’re probably as fucked as them. You just don’t know it yet. -- Cam / Southern Lovin'

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:43 pm

dunno what it was called

thanks for the DL dl. stoked
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm

servo wrote:dunno what it was called

thanks for the DL dl. stoked
Werd.

No problem, dude. I'd like to hear your opinion of the album after you listen to it a few times. Honestly, this is easily one of my favorite album of the last 5 years. No exaggeration. It's one of those rare "perfect" albums to me.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:22 pm

just heard cheeky is breaking up. bummed
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 pm

The new Banner Pilot album was just announced on Fat Wreck's website. So stoked to finally see an album title and see a tracklisting. When they played here I asked them how the new record was coming along. They said they were recording, mastering and mixing it all with with Jacques Wait at the Terrarium in Minneapolis. He is the same dude who recorded the new Dear Landlord album. That album has perfect production, so I am assuming this one is gonna sound amazing. If any album can match "Dream Homes" on my #1 album of the year list, it will be this. I forget what new song they played when they were here, but I remember it was fucking great. STOKED for this!

Release Date:
September 01, 2009
Details:
More Info Coming Soon…

CD/LP

1: Central Standard
2: Pensacola
3: Greenwood
4: Starting at an Ending
5: Skeleton Key
6: Northern Skyline
7: Drains to the Mississippi
8: Farewell to Iron Bastards
9: Empty Lot
10: Hold Me Up
11: Losing Daylight
12: Write it Down
Last edited by Nick on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:59 am

Nick, I thought you should know- I dl'ed Dream Homes a while ago and so far I've been loving it.

Also- the Banner Pilot album. I heard it leaked.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 am

jonnyROCKET wrote:Nick, I thought you should know- I dl'ed Dream Homes a while ago and so far I've been loving it.

Also- the Banner Pilot album. I heard it leaked.
Yeah, dude....Dream Homes is SO good.

Hmmm....off to look for the Banner Pilot album. Strange that a Fat release would leak this early, but still likely.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:15 pm

yo that dear landlord song thats just a short attention song is a rager
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 pm

New song off the upcoming Banner Pilot album was posted on their MySpace today. The song is called "Greenwood." I am pretty sure that was the one song they played off the new album when they were at the HB in May. It is cool to hear the recorded version. The production really sounds awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/bannerpilot

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Sounds really overproduced. I'm sorry, but NOBODY needs to double track EVERY FUCKING WORD.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:56 pm

production on the new song rules. this jacques fellow is doing good work. good song.

you nick, i guess like bats are gonna play the hb on the 19th with a ton of bands that they have no business playing with. they dont even want money, but i told em i'd take care of em and show em a good time.

also, friday in the twin cities D4 with off with their heads and dear landlord. think i kinda have to go?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:01 pm

servo wrote:production on the new song rules. this jacques fellow is doing good work. good song.

you nick, i guess like bats are gonna play the hb on the 19th with a ton of bands that they have no business playing with. they dont even want money, but i told em i'd take care of em and show em a good time.

also, friday in the twin cities D4 with off with their heads and dear landlord. think i kinda have to go?
did you have to type this cuase his dicks still in your mouth?

shoulda been a pm

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:15 pm

what are you even doing in this pop punk thread?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Shane wrote:Sounds really overproduced. I'm sorry, but NOBODY needs to double track EVERY FUCKING WORD.
They have always recorded this way. To change it now would just seem strange to me (and I'm assuming other fans of the band). I think his vocal's sound better than ever.
servo wrote:production on the new song rules. this jacques fellow is doing good work. good song.

I agree. Jacques is like THE new dude to record with in the Midwest.

Word on Like Bats. That band is so good. I'll definitley try and be there.

Is that the show at Eclipse Records in St. Paul? I have never been there, but I have heard that place is tiny. I wonder how they are gonna fit that many people in there?
joseph wrote:did you have to type this cuase his dicks still in your mouth?

shoulda been a pm
This is mine and servo's personal thread. PM's aren't really needed.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:21 pm

servo wrote:what are you even doing in this pop punk thread?
Nate (guitar) Maren (vocals/guitar) Brad (Drums) Carrie (bass/vocals)[/quote]

Carrie makes me smile.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:21 pm

yeah its at eclipse...
still havent decided if im going or not yet but i think id be dumb not to
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:24 pm

servo wrote:yeah its at eclipse...
still havent decided if im going or not yet but i think id be dumb not to
I agree it really is dumb not to. I have SO much shit to get done this weekend though and I absolutely wouldn't be able to leave until around 6:00 on Friday anyway. I wouldn't get there until after 9:00.