More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Shane

Re: omg nick, did you hear the new houseboat songs?

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Nick wrote:
Shane wrote:Sounds really overproduced. I'm sorry, but NOBODY needs to double track EVERY FUCKING WORD.
They have always recorded this way. To change it now would just seem strange to me (and I'm assuming other fans of the band). I think his vocal's sound better than ever.
Uh, I listened to the other tracks, and the vocals weren't double tracked. The reason you think they sound better now is because he recorded every word twice, except for the ones in the intro part. This band cannot do this live, thus the record is overproduced.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Shane wrote:Uh, I listened to the other tracks, and the vocals weren't double tracked. The reason you think they sound better now is because he recorded every word twice, except for the ones in the intro part. This band cannot do this live, thus the record is overproduced.
Eh, maybe you're right. Still, I never get the "over-produced" argument. It's like, "Hey guys, this is supposed to be punk rock, right? We shouldn't have good sounding records. All of it should sound like it was recorded with a USB mic in a tin can."

The last D4 album I think had almost tripled vocals on some songs. And you know what....it fucking RULED. Part of the reason I think "CIVIL WAR" is the best D4 album is for the vocal production on Eric's songs.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm not saying that records should sound like shit just because they are punk. I'm just really opposed to bands doing things that they can't recreate live. It's the same way with delay on vocals. You just can't do it live.

Don't get me wrong, I think that EQ, gating, compression, reverb, etc. are completely fine, because those things are just improving on a performance that can be recreated live, which is the purpose of recording in a studio. It's when you get to double tracking vocals (or most anything, really), using Auto Tune, applying delay to vocals, etc.,that I get turned off.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:11 pm

you can add delay live. you can do a double vocal track live. you just add another microphone and track. ive seen plenty of bands use delay pedals on vocals.

i do agree with the if you cant do it live dont record it. but i also refuse to do overdubs unless its an experiment.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:01 pm

joseph wrote:you can add delay live. you can do a double vocal track live. you just add another microphone and track. ive seen plenty of bands use delay pedals on vocals.
Right, I forgot about bands like The Tanks. Still though, I'm fairly certain Banner Pilot isn't going to be double tracking vocals live, and many current hardcore bands aren't going to be adding a delay pedal to their vocalist's signal chain. Essentially, I want a record to sound like a live performance, just with higher recording quality.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 pm

I'm fine with a producer using "autotune" (I like to refer to it as pitch correction), but only very, very sparingly and when it is so subtle that it isn't really even noticed unless you have an ear for that shit. If it sounds like that Cher shit from the early '00s...fuck that. If it is used to correct a note that a singer can hit, but it sounds a little better when the pitch is corrected, I'm fine with that.

I am with you in that I do like bands to record just as they would play live, but an album that is just great sounding is a breath of fresh air in modern music, when any band with a computer and Garageband can record some garbage and throw it up on MySpace.

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:12 am

I saw D4 at Eclipse records last year the day after their 4th of July show. Place was pretty small, sound was kinda bad, and it wasnt that packed at all. Paddy had one of the greatest rants ever about the history of the bass guitar.

Id love to go but work is a bear so I doubt ill make it, and I saw this show earlier this month. Dear Landlord is good live and OWTH is much better and rowdy.

Weighing in on this whole Banner Pilot, I thought their last LP was a total letdown, they were wicked boring the handful of times I saw them live and listening to this track I probably wont give a fuck about this record either. Id take Rivethead any day over this band.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:19 am

There is a decent chance I'll be going to the show at Eclipse this Friday now.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:33 am

Also, in regards to the vocal production on the new album, here is what Nick had to say:

"No auto-tune on this record except for a few words I fucked up that were pitch-shifted when it was quicker than re-setting up a mic - the vox are just doubled in parts. They also sound more present because we were using a WAY better mic than the shit I did in my basement for Resignation Day + Jacques was using compression, which I'm not sure we used before. The mic this time was a foot-long silver relic from the 1940s? that cost the Terrarium a reported $10K...it's Jacques' favorite mic and he says he doesn't think technology has not been able to improve upon it (I think Dear Landlord and The Gateway District used the same one)."

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:59 pm

nick, carpool?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:04 pm

servo wrote:nick, carpool?
Check your PMs, dude.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:45 am

servo/thom....you guys gonna make the show in St. Paul tonight?

Also....I just fap'd to that Rational Anthem MP3 from the HB. Shit came out really good. Nice going, Kyle!

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:56 pm

its just not in the cards for me im afraid... im bummed but ive seen d4 like 3 times in the past year. im not a huge owth fan (dont dislike em)
im most bummed about missing dear landlord, but surely i'll see them sometime in the next year
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:12 pm

servo wrote:its just not in the cards for me im afraid... im bummed but ive seen d4 like 3 times in the past year. im not a huge owth fan (dont dislike em)
im most bummed about missing dear landlord, but surely i'll see them sometime in the next year
That sucks, but understandable. As it is, I think the show starts at 7:00 and the 86'd are playing then. That probably means Dear Landlord is 2nd and they'll probably go on about 7:45 I'd presume? We won't even get up there until past 8:00, so knowing my luck, I'll miss Dear Landlord, which is the main reason I wanted to go anyway.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Dear Landlord blew both OWTH and D4 combined out of the water. Jesus christ those dudes are good!

Oh...and they totally ragged on the show the night before in Omaha, especially ripping on Total Chaos.

Paddy only got partially naked. Billy Morrisette bought me shots of Jameson before OWTH down at Tracks bar.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:29 pm

So you have time to go to out of town shows, but you have no time to go to local ones.

Maaakes sense.

-Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 am

So the first track off the new Teenage Bottlerocket album, "They Came From The Shadows" is available for streaming or download over at Spin.com. There is also a little write-up about the band/album.

http://www.spin.com/articles/hot-punks- ... ate-or-die

The guitar riff after the first chorus is preeeety sweet! I also liked the JFA reference. That little slurred "skate" part at the end is sorta lame.

This song is fun as shit. Can't wait for the new album.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Friday, September 4, 2009
THE FRAMED & BANNER PILOT (Dual CD Release Show) The Entry / 8:00 pm / 18+

with BANNER PILOT, AMEN & THE HELL YEAHS, and THE DIRTY HITS
$6.00 adv | $6.00 door
filed under: The Entry
add to cart

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:39 pm

joseph wrote:Friday, September 4, 2009

$6.00 adv | $6.00 door
add to cart
I have a shitty flier for this that I got last weekend at the show at Elcipse Records. Will scan and upload later!!!

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Nick wrote:
joseph wrote:Friday, September 4, 2009

$6.00 adv | $6.00 door
add to cart
I have a shitty flier for this that I got last weekend at the show at Elcipse Records. Will scan and upload later!!!

Why? The information is ALREADY THERE THREE TIMES IN A ROW, so why do you feel the need to take the time to scan in some "shitty" flier? You are dumb.

-Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Joe wrote: Why? The information is ALREADY THERE THREE TIMES IN A ROW, so why do you feel the need to take the time to scan in some "shitty" flier? You are dumb.

-Joe.
Wow...you really don't get sarcasm very easily do you? Eh...you just like to troll I guess. Have fun with that, dude.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Forgive me for not detecting the sarcasm from YOU, a guy who obviously has some form of OCD because he takes the time to take pictures of, upload, and post said pictures of what amounts to be the same pop punk vinyl 5 times in a row. Yes, forgive me for thinking you actually were going to scan and upload a shitty flier for some stupid fucking reason. So, again, ignoring the blatant clues on this very messageboard proving you could possibly take the time to post something so fucking stupid, forgive me for making such a silly mistake.

-Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:59 pm

lol.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:42 pm

I just noticed "Rolling Boil" by Potboiler was added to the albums section of If You Make It recently.

http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/potboiler/rolling-boil

This album and band fucking ruled. The "Izzy Alcantara" e.p. is one of my favorites that I own. This band featured members of Get Bent, Halo Fauna, Red and Blue, Armedelite Rifles.
RIYL : Superchunk, Dillinger Four

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:55 pm

servo wrote:Image
Where is this picture from? WANT!

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:58 pm

banner pilots twitter
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:05 pm

servo wrote:banner pilots twitter
Longshot...but I wonder if Corey will have any with him when The Manix play Saturday? That would be sweet, but wishful thinking at best.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:18 pm

The Framed = good. That's all.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:21 pm

i doubt it nick. fat does all color through mailorder
Tu vir nunc es, canis