More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

KY Jelly Belly

Re: Movies thread

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:23 pm

BUMP!
Went and saw Avatar a couple weeks ago, it was fuckin sweet! The plot was a little lackluster but the special effects made up for it

Family Guy-Something, something, something Darkside, hilarious watch it if you haven't.

The Goods-Pretty funny, kind of stupid but I think it's supposed to be like that. Radio Moscow gets a shout out in this movie, that was really cool!

It might Get Loud-Jack White, Jimmy Page, and "The Edge", get together and talk about guitars, music, and stuff. Kind of cool but a lot of rock star bullshit that I can't stand comes out in each of them, but definitely worth a watch.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Went and saw Avatar a couple weeks ago, it was fuckin sweet! The plot was a little lackluster but the special effects made up for it
film about deforestation and colonialism that does McDonald's promotions in real life. epic fail.
Family Guy-Something, something, something Darkside, hilarious watch it if you haven't.
not sure how anyone can still like family guy, but the back to the future reference at the end is tops.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:04 pm

Saw District 9 a couple weeks ago for the first time. Pretty good. Saw Sherlock Holmes last night. It was also pretty good. Good acting, neat old scenery and architecture. Kinda long.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:20 pm

@nonymous wrote:
film about deforestation and colonialism that does McDonald's promotions in real life. epic fail.
Perhaps if they were endorsed by Starbucks or Wal-Mart you wouldn't have such negative feelings towards the movie. Will it be available at BPE when it comes out on DVD? How come you guys don't have Quadrophenia?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:50 pm

jjjsXe wrote:Perhaps if they were endorsed by Starbucks or Wal-Mart you wouldn't have such negative feelings towards the movie. Will it be available at BPE when it comes out on DVD?
ah, i see where you're going with this. you're (incorrectly) comparing my occasional visits to those corporations to the fact that the movie's entire premise is centered around the perils of deforestation while simultaneously partnering with a company that contributes directly to the destruction of the amazon rain forest(which is ironic to say the least).

the inescapable contradictions and complexities of an individual's life, as someone who lives in a consumerist country such as ours, is hardly a fair comparison.

next time you decide to speak in such tired cliches, ask yourself: what would minor threat think? yes it will be available at bpe, and i actually enjoyed most of the movie.
How come you guys don't have Quadrophenia?
for the same reason we dont have a lot of good films: don't have the budget for it currently. it's on the list.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 am

@nonymous wrote: for the same reason we dont have a lot of good films: don't have the budget for it currently. it's on the list.

...but if you skip the @narcho-latte from Starbucks and brew your own free-trade organic coffee instead for two weeks you will be able to afford that fine piece of British cinema.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:17 am

@nonymous wrote:
jjjsXe wrote:Perhaps if they were endorsed by Starbucks or Wal-Mart you wouldn't have such negative feelings towards the movie. Will it be available at BPE when it comes out on DVD?
ah, i see where you're going with this. you're (incorrectly) comparing my occasional visits to those corporations to the fact that the movie's entire premise is centered around the perils of deforestation while simultaneously partnering with a company that contributes directly to the destruction of the amazon rain forest(which is ironic to say the least).

the inescapable contradictions and complexities of an individual's life, as someone who lives in a consumerist country such as ours, is hardly a fair comparison.

next time you decide to speak in such tired cliches, ask yourself: what would minor threat think? yes it will be available at bpe, and i actually enjoyed most of the movie..
@- please post more political/slanted reviews of blockbusters. i honestly enjoyed reading that.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:01 pm

el rhino wrote:...but if you skip the @narcho-latte from Starbucks and brew your own free-trade organic coffee instead for two weeks you will be able to afford that fine piece of British cinema.
i don't pay for coffee anymore and have no need to return to the 'bucks-it's not very good anyway.

i haven't actually seen that movie. it has a 100% rating on rotten tomatoes.....
joseph wrote:@- please post more political/slanted reviews of blockbusters. i honestly enjoyed reading that.
i don't take a political stance with every movie i watch. this movie just had an explicitly political premise which sort of exploits those dealing with the same issues in real life.

my review for avatar would be: fern gully for adults.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:07 pm

You're not paying for coffee anymore? Are you stealing it out of the Jiffy Lube waiting lobby or something?

Anyways, Quadrophenia is a great movie and it's not just a subculture movie like some people would think. It's a good coming of age/teenage angst movie...and I once visited Quadrophenia alley in Brighton.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:08 pm

@nonymous wrote:
joseph wrote:@- please post more political/slanted reviews of blockbusters. i honestly enjoyed reading that.
i don't take a political stance with every movie i watch. this movie just had an explicitly political premise which sort of exploits those dealing with those issues in real life.

my review for avatar would be: fern gully for adults.
i dont know what fern gully is.
i thought you were giving a satire?

i think avatar looks fucking awful. i want to see the road and havent done it yet.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:10 pm

El Rhino wrote:
Anyways, Quadrophenia is a great movie and it's not just a subculture movie like some people would think. It's a good coming of age/teenage angst movie...and I once visited Quadrophenia alley in Brighton.
i usually tell people its the british version of saturday night fever

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:26 pm

joseph wrote:i dont know what fern gully is.
make some time for it my friend. it's a treat.

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:58 pm

@nonymous wrote:my review for avatar would be: fern gully for adults.
Or Dances with Smerfs

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:57 pm

i saw the hangover last night. definitely funny. not as funny as everyone was saying, overhyped. not really anything in it that would make me want to watch it over and over. probably wouldnt buy it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:i saw the hangover last night. definitely funny. not as funny as everyone was saying, overhyped. not really anything in it that would make me want to watch it over and over. probably wouldnt buy it.
so no noodz?

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:10 pm

there were some titties but not much. heather graham popped a boob out but it had gone way downhill since boogie nights so no care.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:17 pm

one man wolfpack.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:07 pm

joseph wrote:
i think avatar looks fucking awful. i want to see the road and havent done it yet.
i agree...and...
i heard 'the road' is good, but the book is way better, i think i'm going to try and start the book next week...but if you don't read, that probably doesn't matter...in most cases it seems like people say 'the book is way better than the movie'...rendering my post irrellevant(sp).

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 pm

the books good. you could read it in a day if you wanted. it flows really well. its not high falutin' english speak either.

JillJillJill

Post by JillJillJill » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:there were some titties but not much. heather graham popped a boob out but it had gone way downhill since boogie nights so no care.
no nips.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 pm

JillJillJill wrote:
Bullet Tooth wrote:there were some titties but not much. heather graham popped a boob out but it had gone way downhill since boogie nights so no care.
no nips.
i guess i was looking harder than you. i saw a nip but it was just a flash. it was way brown and the boobs didnt look near as full as they did when she was younger. the only real boobs were in the pictures at the end of the movie.

I KNOW MY TITTIES.

ps. i thought eva mendes boobs turned out to be awesome. (they werent in the same movie)

JillJillJill

Post by JillJillJill » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:14 pm

WOAH, my bad.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 pm

JillJillJill wrote:WOAH, my bad.
thats right.

dont fucking argue with me about tits.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:13 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:
joseph wrote:
i agree...and...
i heard 'the road' is good, but the book is way better, i think i'm going to try and start the book next week...but if you don't read, that probably doesn't matter...in most cases it seems like people say 'the book is way better than the movie'...rendering my post irrellevant(sp).
dude i just got that book today! lets be bookfags and send each other pms about how good it is!

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:32 am

saw avatar. pretty ok in my book. its no the abyss.

best movie ive seen lately is southern comfort. not the doc about trannies and fags and what have ya but the early 80s flick about a group of national guardsmen fighting cajuns in the swamps of louisiana. fucking incredible and i do not think once in my life have i heard anyone mention it or read about it anywhere

been watching a lot of tv shows lately... maybe that could be a thread?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:36 am

i have been watching a lot of teen mom and jersey shore lately.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:42 am

servo wrote:saw avatar. pretty ok in my book. its no the abyss.

best movie ive seen lately is southern comfort. not the doc about trannies and fags and what have ya but the early 80s flick about a group of national guardsmen fighting cajuns in the swamps of louisiana. fucking incredible and i do not think once in my life have i heard anyone mention it or read about it anywhere

I've never heard about that either... What's that all about?

Either way, I hope they fucked up those coonass swamp guineas.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:59 am

Southern Comfort is pretty sweet. young Keith Carradine and Powers Boothe kickin backwoods Cajun ass

the Road was good, but i don't think i would've liked it as much had i not read the book. superb acting and some fantastic cameos but it just moved along in a weird way. killer soundtrack though.

Avatar=Dances with Wolves, nearly to a T, with incredible graphics. I was pretty disappointed with the story itself but would see it again just for the 3D shit. DO NOT see this in the theater without doing the 3D action.

Disgrace. Quite possibly the best film I've seen this year. John Malkovich at the top of his game handling some pretty heavy material

White Ribbon. New film from Michael Haneke (Funny Games), his darkest and possibly most disturbing film yet. Never a bad entry from this dude.

Antichrist. Lars Von Trier's newest film starts as a story of a couple's infant son dying and spins into something wholly disturbing and surreal. I'd actually call this a horror film even though it has none of the typical earmarks of the genre.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:49 pm

good review that will be hated by you:

http://io9.com/5422666/when-will-white- ... ike-avatar

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:09 pm

@nonymous wrote:good review that will be hated by you:

http://io9.com/5422666/when-will-white- ... ike-avatar
these people really have too much time on their hands.