More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

zach krook

Re: Kick around ideas for a new DIY venue for Des Moines

Post by zach krook » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Shane wrote:I'll support whatever ends up happening. I just want to be able to see bands and play shows without traveling 2 hours.
haha, good luck having fun then.
Persona non grata

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Wait, what?
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Shane wrote:Wait, what?
I think he meant to say, "Des Moines is a barren wasteland with nothing to offer and there is no fun to be had."

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 pm

no i think he means you cant have fun with out wildly destroying shit and drinking more than you should.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:no i think he means you cant have fun with out wildly destroying shit and drinking more than you should.
People could always drink before they got there if they really need to be drunk to have fun at a show. But if they started causing problems or fucking shit up, I'd assume that would be grounds to ask them to leave?

Anyway back to the original topic here....the long running Mr. Roboto Project in Pittsburg has been what a lot of the cooperatively run show/art spaces in other cities have used for inspiration. They have some well-defined guidelines, but it has worked for them for 11+ years.

Here are their guidelines for booking shows: http://www.therobotoproject.org/oldsite ... oters.html

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Nick wrote:
I think he meant to say, "Des Moines is a barren wasteland with nothing to offer and there is no fun to be had."
spot on nick, spot on.
Persona non grata

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 pm

zach krook wrote:
Nick wrote:
spot on nick, spot on.
Hey Krook, drawn SUB HUM ANS on your face lately?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

jessep

Post by jessep » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:23 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mr. Roboto Project is closed.

It's cool that you're trying to get something going, but an idea like this probably wouldn't work anywhere in Iowa, let alone Des Moines. Even a shithole like The YRS couldn't stay open for a measly year without me losing a ton of money. Kids here just simply don't care.

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 pm

jjjsXe wrote:
Hey Krook, drawn SUB HUM ANS on your face lately?
sorry i don't have a mohawk anymore dude, but isn't it?

say what you want, but i'd rather play to pumped up dudes in omaha than to you with your armsfolded.
Persona non grata

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:51 pm

jessep wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mr. Roboto Project is closed.

It's cool that you're trying to get something going, but an idea like this probably wouldn't work anywhere in Iowa, let alone Des Moines. Even a shithole like The YRS couldn't stay open for a measly year without me losing a ton of money. Kids here just simply don't care.
The YRS was fucking awesome, some of my favorite JDI shows were there. Just sayin'.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Nickyouredead

Post by Nickyouredead » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:30 pm

Nick wrote:
Bullet Tooth wrote:no i think he means you cant have fun with out wildly destroying shit and drinking more than you should.
People could always drink before they got there if they really need to be drunk to have fun at a show. But if they started causing problems or fucking shit up, I'd assume that would be grounds to ask them to leave?

Anyway back to the original topic here....the long running Mr. Roboto Project in Pittsburg has been what a lot of the cooperatively run show/art spaces in other cities have used for inspiration. They have some well-defined guidelines, but it has worked for them for 11+ years.

Here are their guidelines for booking shows: http://www.therobotoproject.org/oldsite ... oters.html
Nothing To Nothing just played one of the last shows there, it's closed.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:09 pm

as for the community space-there are plenty of ways to generate income. the one thing you don't want is randomness. if someone walks in and there's a few magazines, some records and trinkets for sale in a big space...it's confusing.

it's also too ambitious to think that we will have anywhere near the startup costs needed to have enough merchandise to make the bulk of the money needed to sustain.
these statements are annoying...im not saying that a few records and trinkets would fully fund the space...but trying to accumulate money without depending on large monthly donations is neccisary in my mind...not to say you have to do it...but even if its just 5 bucks or 100, its better than nothing....people will get confused? mars cafe seems to do just fine....they sell crappy esspresso, and a few t-shirts and albums, it doesnt seem awkward, they dont sustain themselves off those few tshirts, cd's and pins they sell each month, but im sure it doesnt hurt...i have several records, that i am looking to sell, that i would donate, as im sure dustin would as well...and he has alot...its not much, but its a start....this is my problem, all other ideas, get shot down...it already doesnt seem like as much of a community space, as it does a place you want to be in charge of...which is fine...just market it as that...im not in a great mood, so excuse my pissyness....
also, what is this space in theory going to be like?
a community space is really broad.
mars cafe is technically a community space...so is the oxygen bar....
so is the ymca...
what exactly are you offering to people?
and who is the target crowd?
so when i walk in what will i see? a couple couches, a computer and a tv? with an esspresso machine, because i see that being a little confusing as well...i guess i just dont really get what you mean by a 'community space' even though you've tried to explain it a few times already...

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:17 pm

i think the new DIY space should have power outlets
Tu vir nunc es, canis

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:17 pm

so i guess i missed this earlier...
music is definitely part of our plan--but our main focus so far has been to provide a space for artists/activists/people who have events and projects they want to do that don't have a fuckton of money to give to a venue like the social club. feel free to come to the meetings(pm me) and help with the music aspect if you like. obviously the more space requirements we need the more narrow the search for location becomes.
so, would artists still pay to have their art on display and to hold shows? or no?
if i were you, and your looking for funding, i would try and contact ed fallon, and then get on the radio to promote it..thats what the social klub did, and they got donors that called in all stoked....

and to the just do it guy....the bike thing is still going on down by the skating rink...i think it would be a good idea to work with it, and try to expand it...i never took advantage of it...but probably will in the future...

sooooo....yeah,
as far as an 'alternative art gallery'
finders creepers already kinda serves as that..and from what i hear, one of the potential spaces is located almost next to FC...idk, again, i would reach out to her as well...
oh and check out 'urban ambassadors'
http://www.urbanambassadors.org/

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:19 pm

also, nobody commented on the produce idea...we always have tons of extra stuff from our garden, its all organic...and yum...and would be another way to generate funds...

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:25 pm

ideas we're working on w/ our group:

silent investors-people who have money to invest in the idea but aren't interested in being hands on(one or two are involved in our group already);

branching out-one idea was to talk to a local coffee shop about donating/providing basic equipment to have a simple espresso bar with only a few options and some other beverages to generate income at events(the business would have their logo present and could promote it at our events-and obviously would own the equipment);

outreach-reaching out and providing space to groups and individuals disenfranchised with venues like the Des Moines Social Club and setting up sliding-scale donations to participate;

tiered "sustainer" pledges-providing easy ways folks can help sustain the space by monetary or other means
again, not to be a dick,
but is it realistic that private individuals will consistantly and readily pay 750 a month? because really all of the above mentioned amount to private individuals paying it....aside from the coffee shop one obviously...if this is legit, then great...but knowing people, i could see it not being that way all the time...i guess that is why i keep pushing alternative sources of income....
which i am getting the impression you dont want to sell products...but i almost think that its neccisary to offer something...amiwrong?
also, if the roof is accessable it would be really easy to set up a couple planter boxes....you could even do it inside without taking up too much space....the dead horse has been beaten enough

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:57 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:it already doesnt seem like as much of a community space, as it does a place you want to be in charge of...which is fine...just market it as that...
james-as ive said earlier in this thread, we already have a group of folks working on this. it's not just me. this messageboard isn't the place to discuss whats best for a space that nobody on here besides me currently has anything to do with. i put the idea out and invited folks who had interest to pm me and come to the meetings to take part in the collective process we already have going. all of the questions/concerns brought up here have already been discussed at length between our group.

im not going to discuss these things any further here. we'll continue moving forward--if people have interest, get a hold of me.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 pm

This thread has become way too wordy, not to mention ridiculous. Everyone is now trying to come up with economic ways to support a venue space. Here's a no brainer: GET A LIQUOR LICENSE and pay the business taxes. In other words: become legitmate. Problem solved. BUT thats probably not punk enough and isn't as cool as having a Little Rascal esque clubhouse where its cool to jerk off and smell like shit.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Beaver wrote:BUT thats probably not punk enough and isn't as cool as having a Little Rascal esque clubhouse where its cool to jerk off and smell like shit.
there's a real cool club on the other side of town
where the real cool kids go to sit around and talk bad
about the other kids
yeah it's a real cool club and you're not part of it

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Nick wrote:
Beaver wrote:BUT thats probably not punk enough and isn't as cool as having a Little Rascal esque clubhouse where its cool to jerk off and smell like shit.
about the other kids
he goes to house of bricks twice a week already.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 pm

joseph wrote:
Nick wrote:
about the other kids
he goes to house of bricks twice a week already.
Nu-uh.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Beaver wrote:This thread has become way too wordy, not to mention ridiculous. Everyone is now trying to come up with economic ways to support a venue space. Here's a no brainer: GET A LIQUOR LICENSE and pay the business taxes. In other words: become legitmate. Problem solved. BUT thats probably not punk enough and isn't as cool as having a Little Rascal esque clubhouse where its cool to jerk off and smell like shit.
is there really anybody on this board that is punk in the sense that you are trying to portray it?...booze is not wanted at the place...they dont want it to be a buisness...its not just a 'venue space'....i know maybe 3 people who are 'crust punk' and smell like shit....none of those people post here.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:41 pm

this is a really stupid argument. if you guys put this much energy into constructive things, shit would get done. instead, you asshole sit around and complain on the internet.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Beaver wrote:where its cool to jerk off and smell like shit.
Is someone doing shows at The Gallery?
I poop on Petland!

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 pm

enter ed bitching on the internet...because ed has been known to be reliable, participate and get things done...lets all have vegan potlucks and get along...

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:58 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:enter ed bitching on the internet...because ed has been known to participate and get things done...lets all have vegan potlucks and get along...
man, fuck you. what the fuck have you ever done? seriously, respond to this post with your habitual four post response.
and yeah, i feel like i have done my share. sorry i can't start some shitty crust punk band and then grow into some neo-conservative boring asshole.
and yeah, vegan potlucks are awesome. and i don't care if anyone gets along, including you and i. so, again, fuck you.

also, if you got some beef with me about me being "reliable, participating, getting things done," go ahead and voice them.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 pm

shitty crust band? lol...most crust bands are shitty
neo-con? lol...explain.
right, because i haven't tried, participated or done anything...im not going to make a list...im also not going to make a list of all the times you said you were going to help with something, and didn't show up.
vegan potlucks do rule...agreed.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:06 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:.im also not going to make a list of all the times you said you were going to help with something, and didn't show up.
no, please, do make a list. like what, food not bombs? sorry, i got sick of having picnics. but seriously, make a list.

and neo-con: YOUR POLITICS. you listen to michael savage AND AGREE WITH HIM.

UGH I SUCK

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 pm

no, i listen to him and laugh...but his personal stories are gold...i believe he is the only honest right winger on the radio...and respect the way he goes about his radio program despite how absurd and out touch with reality he is...whats wrong with listening to somebody you don't agree with? but you can see into my head, because we interact so regularly so, you probably know be better than anybody.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:11 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:no, i listen to him and laugh...but his personal stories are gold...i believe he is the only honest right winger on the radio...and respect the way he goes about his radio program despite how absurd and out touch with reality he is...whats wrong with listening to somebody you don't agree with? but you can see into my head, because we interact so regularly so, you probably know be better than anybody.
make that fucking list. you tried to call me out, now back it up.

UGH I SUCK