More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Nick

The Tomb (venue -DSM)

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:17 am

Talked with Eric last night and he mentioned it and I noticed it mentioned once or twice on here too. I decided to look more into it. Guess it is run by some dudes in a band called CHILD?

Anyone been there? Played there? Booked there? They seem to have quite a few crappy "metal"/rock shows and have been open since Feb/Mar. Looks as though they are only Thurs-Sun.? What's the scoop on this place?

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Des-Moine ... 7922492248

Nick

Re: The Tomb (venue -DSM)

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:24 am

WTF? There were 250+ people there for a show on June 5th? No way in hell that is accurate, right?

TheTomb: A crowd of over 250+ packed The Tomb for 6 Amazing and VERY heavy bands. People hanging from the rafters, the mosh pit was tearing it up. And we still managed to keep it well under control all night.
June 5 at 11:36pm · Comment · Like · View Feedback (8)Hide Feedback (8)

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:29 am

It's in the building we used to practice in, pretty much across the street from House of Bricks. It's run by some older metal guys, but metal in the way East siders understand it. Also, that Child band plays every show that happens there, even ones they don't fit on at all. Because they run it, they feel that they should be able to do that.

And reading that description of the show makes me never want to set foot in there. "Dude...mosh pits!"

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:04 am

is it that kiss cover band?

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:37 am

elliot wrote:Also, that Child band plays every show that happens there, even ones they don't fit on at all. Because they run it, they feel that they should be able to do that.
That's what I got from looking at whatever past shows information I could find. That's just weird. I mean, I get that they run it and have say, but that's just lame. Who wants to see the same band EVERY show, regardless of how good (or shitty) they may be? And I'm not up on current local metal bands (especially of the Eastsider variety), but I hadn't heard of a single band that has played there I don't think?

I guess I was just curious if this might be a potential spot to try and book some future shows or if it would just be a waste of time...and what, if any, experiences people might have had with the place/people who run it?

I mean, any new venue of this sort is welcome by me and I think it's totally rad they got this going. I honestly had no clue about it until a few days ago.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:51 pm

waste of time. dont bother.

lukerauch

Post by lukerauch » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:33 pm

place is a joke. i played there last month. theres a fucking baracade. the dude that runs it has no idea how to do sound.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:46 pm

oh. this is the place in jerrys building? 6000 wings practices there and one of the guys told them they couldnt when they were having shows. they just said whatever.
i wish somebody would open a warehouse for bands to practice in that actually gave a shit.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:51 pm

lukerauch wrote:place is a joke. i played there last month. theres a fucking baracade. the dude that runs it has no idea how to do sound.
Eric did mention the baricade. What's up with that amatuer rockstrar bullshit?

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Nick wrote: What's up with that amatuer rockstrar bullshit?
welcome to des moines.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Some retard ass kid was trying to tell us what to do, and wouldn't let us use the bathroom. They had (in a super east side way) barricaded all the entrances with random shit... dresses, chairs, old doors so you couldn't access that part of the building during some shit nu metal/moshcore garbage band show was going.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 pm

you know some shit's gonna end up getting ganked. eastsiders, man....

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:They had (in a super east side way) barricaded all the entrances with random shit... dresses, chairs, old doors...
Legit lol. Wow.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:02 am

Child thinks they can play every show, because as a guy from the band told my friend, "Man, we can play any style we want. We can play metal, hardcore, rock'n'roll, pop-punk, whatever." Which is either what you say when you have no fucking clue of what it means to be a band, or it's a complete lie.

chaney

Post by chaney » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:58 am

Nick wrote:WTF? There were 250+ people there for a show on June 5th? No way in hell that is accurate, right?

TheTomb: A crowd of over 250+ packed The Tomb for 6 Amazing and VERY heavy bands. People hanging from the rafters, the mosh pit was tearing it up. And we still managed to keep it well under control all night.
June 5 at 11:36pm · Comment · Like · View Feedback (8)Hide Feedback (8)
I was at this show, 250+ is a huge over-exaggeration. I am pretty positive that the place couldn't hold more than 150 or 200 people in the first place.. There were maybe 60-75 people at this show, which really isn't too bad. The show was free, but I'm fairly sure that it was put on by the people who own the place because when I checked they were charging 1-200 bucks to book a show there, so a free show wouldn't really be a possibility

If it were in the right hands it could be a fairly sweet venue, its a decent setup and it definitely feels like a venue, but the dude running sound is fucking terrible, one of the worst sound guys I've ever heard. And yeah, pretty sure that CHILD band is on every show, it seems like they book the same bands over and over for the most part.

Shamone Jackson

Post by Shamone Jackson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:00 am

where is this place exactlyy ?

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:14 am

its a sick way to hit up some of des moines finest botanical center era scene slut rejects who are now pregnant and or fat with terrible knuckle tattoos and share jagermeister with highschool kids

the music im sure flows in that same realm

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:19 pm

I wish DSM had a venue like in this video. This is how a basement show should be!

http://gnattack.blogspot.com/2010/06/fr ... ow_20.html