More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

¡Copa Mundial!

Post by El Rhino » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:45 am

Anyone been following the World Cup? I know most of you fagz don't like sports, even one as non-threatening as soccer.

The US team is looking pretty good. Ghana will be a tough team to beat and Uruguay (who will beat South Korea) will be even tougher. No matter what happens, their performance has been much better than the 2006 cup.

I'm a fan of France as a country and culture, but I'm glad to see their team get humiliated the way they did during group play. What a fucking joke. I developed a soft spot for North Korea during their match with Brazil - they played good fundamental and sportsmanlike soccer without the theatrics you see from pretty much all the other teams. I felt bad for them during that Portugal match.

Uruguay, my second choice behind USA, has been fuckin' solid. Argentina, my third choice, has been entertaining and I can't help but to like seeing Maradona as the coach. They had an easy bracket for group play and they're going to have to turn up their game a notch to beat Mexico (who don't have their best team ever on the field, but are still formidable).

My predictions: Uruguay vs. Brazil and Argentina vs. Spain in the semifinals.

tylerjames515

Re: ¡Copa Mundial!

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 am

Currently watching Italy vs Slovakia... Italy is my number one behind the US but I think we're going to get shut down considering how this game (and past ones) is going.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 am

yes. espn3.com isnt blocked at work. my coworkers arent happy with me.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:10 am

sucks the north korean team is gonna have to spend a few years in re-education camps when they get home
Tu vir nunc es, canis

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:53 pm

servo wrote:sucks the north korean team is gonna have to spend a few years in re-education camps when they get home

True. KJI will probably cank their annual dog allotment over the Portugal match.

There are certainly some shithole countries in the World Cup, but more or less all of the players live in luxury. Not true for North Korea. The majority of the team had never seen a cellphone before the World Cup and probably have family members that are lucky to get meat once or twice a year and even luckier if they own a bicycle. There's something charming about a team where all the members will probably end up working in some shitty tractor factory in a few years playing against teams that will celebrate with coke and supermodels after the match.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:04 pm

El Rhino wrote:
There are certainly some shithole countries in the World Cup, but more or less all of the players live in luxury. Not true for North Korea.
"In communist North Korea, car drives you!"

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:25 pm

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Ok, so the US blew it with Ghana. They can't blame it on anything except simply being out-played. Ghana doesn't have the skill level or finesse of the better teams, but they've got a ton of heart and stamina. Definitely a team I respect.

Uruguay vs. Ghana. Ghana's style of play can work against a half-cocked US team, but Uruguay is one of the most calculated, cohesive and aggressive teams I've seen so far. Their defense is on point and so is their offense. It should be an interesting match, but I foresee Uruguay shutting them down.

Argentina vs. Germany. This will be a good one. Watching Argentina is one of the most amazing soccer watching experiences one can have. Germany, of course, is a solid team and very capable. So far Argentina has had it easy with the teams they've been up against and I don't think they've been firing with all cylinders. They'll have to up their game against Germany. This one will be close, but I'd like to see Argentina win it.

Netherlands vs. Brazil. Should be another good one. I don't think Brazil has performed quite up to their potential in this cup but a half-assed Brazil is still good enough. Brazil will win, 2-1. I hope I'm wrong though as I kind of like Dutch soccer.

Spain vs. Portugal. About to go watch it now. This one should be tough. Spain is favored, but Portugal is nothing to scoff at. It's hard to say on this one.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:05 pm

Soccer is fucking gay.

Though not nearly as gay as all the fucking people here making a big god damn deal about it now.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 pm

I bet any soccer player would beat the shit out of you.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 pm

I didn't realize people actually watched soccer. It has to be the most boring sport on the planet.
I poop on Petland!

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:03 am

No, that would be baseball. Soccer is way better than baseball.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:10 am

tylerjames515 wrote:I bet any soccer player would beat the shit out of you.

You're kidding right? This is soccer we're talking about? These are the guys that get tripped and lay on the ground for 10 minutes crying and you're going to put your money on them? Cool story, bro.

Shane wrote:No, that would be baseball. Soccer is way better than baseball.

This. Daniel Tosh did a great piece about baseball on that episode with the philly foul ball redemption.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 am

I've been watching the games on my phone at work. I find a lot of humor in people who say the game is boring, you are obviously not watching it, and if you are, you certainly have no idea of what is going on.

I am rooting for Brazil, but I like the idea of the young German team putting it to Argentina. I think Argentina is one of the only teams that matches up with Germany's speed though.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:03 am

Varg wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote:I bet any soccer player would beat the shit out of you.

You're kidding right? This is soccer we're talking about? These are the guys that get tripped and lay on the ground for 10 minutes crying and you're going to put your money on them? Cool story, bro.
just to clarify, most of that is theatrics to get an advantage. you can see a lot of them get up quickly and run on as soon as they get their way. also, these people dont have pads so if they actually do get hit with a cleat or a flying elbow, it actually hurts.

and im going to agree with aeon on the "I find a lot of humor in people who say the game is boring, you are obviously not watching it, and if you are, you certainly have no idea of what is going on" comment he made.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Larissa Riquelme?

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Soccer, baseball, basketball, and hockey (unless there are lots of fights) are all pretty boring sports to watch. I literally couldn't make it through a whole game without falling asleep. I find curling to be more interesting. The only sport that matters in my world is College and pro football.
I poop on Petland!

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:39 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:
Soccer, baseball, basketball, and hockey (unless there are lots of fights) are all pretty boring sports to watch. I literally couldn't make it through a whole game without falling asleep. I find curling to be more interesting. The only sport that matters in my world is College and pro football.
I like pro football but come the fuck on, it can get just as boring as watching any soccer or hockey game. Baseball on the other hand is the worlds most boring sport to watch.

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 am

Baseball fans, in general, confuse the hell out of me.

College basketball is probably my favorite sport to watch when Grand Slam tennis isn't happening.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:00 am