More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

inx515xhell

Re: Off!

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 pm

creepykid wrote:nobody likes the later shit because all the "famous" people aren't in it anymore, just a bunch of random mexicans.

creepykid

Post by creepykid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm

the later stuff does not sound like hippy shit. not even close. it sounds more blues influenced, but that's about it.

and who cares if it's "in". fuck that noise. I don't associate with the "in" crowd, they can go fuck themselves. i will always like black flag.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 pm

creepykid wrote:black flag started and always has been greg ginn's project. he writes the music and writes shitty lyrics if no one else contributed lyrics. i don't care who is credited in a liner note or whatever, ginn wrote all the music and it was HIS band (that's why so many people kept leaving)

ALL the black flag stuff is awesome. and nobody likes the later shit because all the "famous" people aren't in it anymore, just a bunch of random mexicans. greg ginn wrote everything, other people couldn't get into it because you can't slam dance to it. that's it. that's all. get over it.

for people who like the later black flag albums (post- Damaged) check out Greg Ginn's solo albums. they are pretty good, nothing super amazing, but great to listen to.
See, he should have dropped the name after Dez and Dukowski quit. Because it became a completely different bands after that. I think the most famous person to ever be in the band was Henry Rollins and he was there till the end.

Part of the reason no one liked it was the dumb lyrics and the posturing. The songs became way too long, without purpose, rather pointless and boring. Kind of like the Bad Brains regression into bad Reggae. Kind of seems cool till you have to sit through an hour of it.

There were plenty of people slam dancing to the later stuff. Most of them would slam to anything. In fact for a lot of them that had more to do with them going to shows then the music. The thing I remember from the time was all the rumors about Rollins misogynistic rapist and a Junkie and people throwing scissors at him when he was on stage.

I have to say, what I've heard of Ginn's solo stuff, it is more interesting than the last 4 or 5 Black Flag records. Had the chance to see him live around 94 or 95 at the Foundry. Really nice guy and put on a good show. Did a lot of early Black Flag covers.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:58 am

i love that black flag said fuck you to everyone.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:49 pm

really? they said that? well now my feelings are hurt :(

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Pretty insane Black Flag vinyl collection for sale on eBay right now: http://shop.ebay.com/cliff_burton_rip/m.html

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Nick wrote:Pretty insane Black Flag vinyl collection for sale on eBay right now: http://shop.ebay.com/cliff_burton_rip/m.html
Have everything I want from that but it would be cool to have the Jealous Again Test Pressing. I really wonder how many of those "test Pressing" are really bootlegs though and that isn't the original pressing of Damage. Man I used to see copies of the Jealous Again 1st pressing all the time for $2 or $3. I should have bought 15 or 20 of them.

On a side note I posted a photo of my BF collection on here a few years back. I think I have first pressings of everything pre-My War including the Give away single.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 pm

drink the black coffee
As time moves
There's no sound

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:01 pm

i heard off is playing triple rock april 3rd?

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:10 am

yes they are & i plan on being there.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm

tickets go on sale tomorrow

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Man Minneapolis. Sure they aren't playing somewhere closer or at the least cooler? Granted I haven't seen a show up there in over 10 years but the people up there used to just simply suck.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 pm

they'll be in chicago too, but how can you not like minnie?

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 pm

going to see them in March... can't wait.

loving the shit out of this record right now.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:16 pm

noel_nothing wrote:they'll be in chicago too, but how can you not like minnie?
To be bluntly honest, I've come across more asshole, whinny, diarrhea sucking, cunted cunt, bitches at shows in Minneapolis then anywhere in the middle west. They always seem to have this attitude that they were big city bad asses which in truth they aren't. That whole 6th city blues. Now that said I've know a lot of cool people from St Paul. Like the guys from the Quincy Punx.

Most of the Minneapolis bands really sucked. There have been exceptions over the years like the Short Fuses, Blind Approach, Janis Figure(though they were more of a Mankato transplant) and a few others I can't think of. Also a few cool people like the guys from Dumpster Juice.

It was main reasons that we stopped going to shows up there along with the fact that better shows started coming to Omaha and Lawrence around 91. Overall it just left a bad taste in my mouth that still is there.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:49 pm

have you even been to the triple rock? hipsters are every where you go. just kick the shit outta one & the rest will leave you alone.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:29 am

DaVo wrote:Most of the Minneapolis bands really sucked.
???? What?

Minneapolis has always had and still does have a killer punk scene. Some awesome bands going on from the Twin Cities right now:

Banner Pilot
Off With Their Heads
The Manix
Gateway District
The Turkletons
Liarbirds
Amen and the Hell Yeahs
Sundowners
The Soviettes
Dillinger Four
Dear Landord
In Defence
The Scabs

I could go on and on, but this is nonsense. Minneapolis rules and the people there are some of the best of the Midwest. Sorry, but you just sound jaded in your previous post, Davo.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Mpls doesnt need defending, but lol@ davo projecting his own "2873947th city blues".
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Nick wrote:you just sound jaded in your previous post, Davo.
SHOCK OF THE CENTURY
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:20 pm

dont forget prince, the replacements, husker du, soul asylum, suicide commandos, & the suburbs.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:13 am

There is always exceptions to the rule and I gave up on the town around 1992. Also had dealings with a number of bands from there in the mid to late 90s that were complete prima donnas and assholes. The only real time I had problems with regional bands not wanting to pay openers were Minneapolis bands. Especially the Ska bands.

I wouldn't call it jaded. It comes more from experience. Sure that experience is from over 20 years ago but it's still my experience. Also I never cared for Husker Du, the Replacements or the other 2 billion other bands from that town that sound like them.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 am

DaVo wrote:There is always exceptions to the rule and I gave up on the town around 1992. Also had dealings with a number of bands from there in the mid to late 90s that were complete prima donnas and assholes.

I wouldn't call it jaded. It comes more from experience. Sure that experience is from over 20 years ago but it's still my experience.
and youre saying dumpster juice are good people?

i think around 94 mpls "Punk"S started being more minnesota nice. and its always gonna be awkward when youre 20 years older than most(NOT a crack just an observation)

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:42 am

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:There is always exceptions to the rule and I gave up on the town around 1992. Also had dealings with a number of bands from there in the mid to late 90s that were complete prima donnas and assholes.

I wouldn't call it jaded. It comes more from experience. Sure that experience is from over 20 years ago but it's still my experience.
and youre saying dumpster juice are good people?

i think around 94 mpls "Punk"S started being more minnesota nice. and its always gonna be awkward when youre 20 years older than most(NOT a crack just an observation)
Yeah I have to say that my dealings with Dumpster Juice and generally hanging out was one of the better interactions I had with most of the Minneapolis bands.

Yup like I said my experience with the twin cities is different from most of those on the site. I dealt with bands with attitudes from there from 96 to 2001 and then again in 2005 and 2006 and 99% assholes.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 pm

DaVo wrote: Yeah I have to say that my dealings with Dumpster Juice and generally hanging out was one of the better interactions I had with most of the Minneapolis bands.

Yup like I said my experience with the twin cities is different from most of those on the site. I dealt with bands with attitudes from there from 96 to 2001 and then again in 2005 and 2006 and 99% assholes.
ive never had a ... decent dumpster juice experience. mean spirited argumentative physical confrontational greedy assholes. but that just goes to show different experiences for different folks.
i agree on the mpls asshole perspective. first few times i went to shows after moving there i got fucked with a lot. wasnt until i started telling people off and arguing was when i started making friends. its definitely changed somewhat for the better.

triple rock sucks when its full but so does everywhere...

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

ALSO IN OLD NEWS
MARCH 14 TRIPLE ROCK
THURSDAY SUBHUMANS (ALL ORIGINAL LINEUP!)
MDC

TICKETS ONSALE FRIDAY 2/4

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:06 pm

first time i saw subhumans was in minneapolis

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm

EXTREME NOISE

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 pm

not sure if this was posted, pretty cool flier.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 am

going to this show tonight. gonna be sweeeeeeeet. you goin, crumpty?