More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Varg
Failed DMACC

Only a matter of time

Post by Varg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 am

Some of you know that I've recently been working with a new band, Serpents, with Dusty Boles (drummer, Rose Funeral) and Andrew Mikhail (guitar, ex-Oceano) and I figured it was only a matter of time before it became public knowledge here on this board. I figured I would preemptively start the shit-talking discussion for you.
I will say upfront that most of you aren't going to enjoy this, especially if you don't already like Rose Funeral or Oceano. At the same time I can say Serpents is really not anything like RF or Oceano. It's more death-metally and Behemoth-ish, with solos (that's me!).
Rhythmically, the material is the most challenging music I've ever had to learn in my life. While not directly obvious to the ear, I assure you if you spend the time listening to it, you will eventually hear it. We've already had to change one rhythm part because of it's complexity and I'm demanding that we change another because counting it is fucking impossible.
You can check out three of the songs on the band page at:

http://www.facebook.com/weareserpents

I'm not on any of those recordings and you'll notice neither I or the bass player have been officially announced yet, - but that's a whole can of worms for another time. Make sure you LIKE the page too if you check it out. There's a lot of big stuff going on behind the scenes right now, I just can't say anything about it for the time being. I don't think it would really come as a surprise to anyone though considering the lineup, lol.

That being said, I've been getting a stupid amount of friend requests and it's only going to get worse, so I made a "public" facebook profile. I know I've denied at least 5 or 6 people who've tried to add me from this site, lol, so if you want you can go ahead and add me now under this one:

http://www.facebook.com/mark.willie1
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

joseph

Re: Only a matter of time

Post by joseph » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 am

as usual i have no idea whose name youre dropping or what youre talking about.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:56 am

its not really my cup of tea but i dont dislike it. when are you playing des moines?

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:47 pm

I really hate whatever those weird screechy vocals are and the breakdowns, but I actually kinda dig the blast parts and the main vocals. Reminds me of The Red Chord in a lot of ways, and that's one of the only metal bands that I like.

This is a lot better than that demiurge bullshit you posted however long ago.

I'm really hesitant to say I like anything you're involved with because I hate you so much.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Are you going to spit on people and tour with After The Burial too? This is a lot better than those bands though.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Were I him, you'd be the first person I'd spit on.

lukerauch

Post by lukerauch » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm

:roll: get over yourself :roll:

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Shane wrote:
I'm really hesitant to say I like anything you're involved with because I hate you so much.

lol'd very hard at that.
tylerjames515 wrote:Are you going to spit on people and tour with After The Burial too? This is a lot better than those bands though.
I don't know what you're referring to with the first part of that, but that'd be tight to tour w ATB. I think they're better than this stuff...
We'll see what happens.
lukerauch wrote::roll: get over yourself :roll:
Don't know who you're referring to, but eitherway, get fucked.
Last edited by Varg on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Varg wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote:Are you going to spit on people and tour with After The Burial too? This is a lot better than those bands though.
I don't know what you're referring to with the first part of that, but that'd be tight to tour w ATB. I think they're better than this stuff...
We'll see what happens. Already having issues with cry-baby pee-pants drama, which I want NO part of. It's seriously getting weird.
I was being snarky, but I remember Oceano playing here and the two really fat guitar players were spitting on everyone purposely. I don't know how kids can get into that.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:30 pm

that band fucking sucks. i don't know how kids can get into THAT.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:50 pm

yawn
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:15 am

inx515xhell wrote:that band fucking sucks. i don't know how kids can get into THAT.
true dat. who knows man.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:48 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:]

I was being snarky, but I remember Oceano playing here and the two really fat guitar players were spitting on everyone purposely. I don't know how kids can get into that.

Wouldn't surprise me.
DaVo wrote:yawn

I think all that yawning comes with the old age territory. Maybe you have "low-T"? lol You should get that checked out.
Last edited by Varg on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

zach walther

Post by zach walther » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:39 pm

this is sick

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Varg wrote:

I think all that yawning comes with the old age territory. Maybe you have "low-T"? lol You should get that checked out.
No yawn as in dull, uninspired, nothing new, void of creative thought or emotion. In simple terms another boring bloated band.

Thanks for the concern for my health but I'm doing just fine.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:26 am

DaVo wrote:
Varg wrote:

No yawn as in dull, uninspired, nothing new, void of creative thought or emotion. In simple terms another boring bloated band.

Thanks for the concern for my health but I'm doing just fine.

lol, shut the fuck up dude, you don't even listen to this music. And how is it devoid of emotion? That in itself IS an emotion. You could pick up on that, but not the obvious "anger, hatred, riled up, blah blah blah" emotions. Creative thought you can blow out your ass, like I've already said, some of the most complex rhythms I've ever had to play. You have to be CREATIVE to come up with those. Far more creative than 90% of shit I listen to and 100% of what you listen to.
You suck at being an elitist. You have nothing to hold on to anymore. Nobody is impressed that you were listening to the Ramones before we were ever born. You focus more on stupid shit like that while completely over-looking the fact that punk was a joke the Ramones told that nobody got.
Last edited by Varg on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 am

Varg wrote:punk was a joke the Ramones told that nobody got.
Maybe it's too early for me to figure out if you're slamming The Ramones, but if you are, then you can GETTHEFUCKOUT.

If not, then keep on keepin on.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:20 am

ok typewriter drummers are a complete turnoff and are definitely not my thing.

but you should really have been in a band and played shows before talking shit. i understand being excited about it but .... you stretched a little early.

other than that - good luck

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 am

typewriter drumming? Are you saying it sounds too robotic/perfect? If that's what you're saying, that's a compliment, but you're entirely too stupid to realize it. LOL, what, you want a drummer to not keep tempo and fuck up every now and then so it has "feel"? LOL.

Actually a ton of people thought the drums on that were programmed so Dusty wouldn't get off my nuts about it until I recorded him playing it so he could throw it up on the page:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 6&comments

And who was talking shit? And what's with this "early" business?

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:23 am

I think he was talking about using triggers and shit.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 am

Everyone uses triggers mane. Everything from metal to R&B to pop. Has nothing to do with "cheating" has everything to do with EQ'ing.

Dusty is only using them on his bass drum; If it was me, I'd be using it on the snare as well as the bass drum.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:48 am

The thing about the triggering the kick and not the snare is it's not hard at all to get a snare to stay at the same volume level across blastbeats and breakdowns as long as you compress the shit out of it, and volume is usually the only thing that matters for the snare since it's pretty easy to get the tone you want without sample replacement. With a kick drum, not only do you want even volume, you want it to be pretty much just be a click, which requires serious high-pass filtering and compression, so it's just easier to trigger it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Varg wrote:typewriter drumming? Are you saying it sounds too robotic/perfect? If that's what you're saying, that's a compliment, but you're entirely too stupid to realize it. LOL, what, you want a drummer to not keep tempo and fuck up every now and then so it has "feel"? LOL.
was i trying to insult someone? I SAID it wasnt my thing.
i dont like grindcore or ska or new country either. doesnt mean its stupid just means i dont get into it.

early as in you said you werent playing shows yet

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 am

joseph wrote:
Varg wrote:typewriter drumming? Are you saying it sounds too robotic/perfect? If that's what you're saying, that's a compliment, but you're entirely too stupid to realize it. LOL, what, you want a drummer to not keep tempo and fuck up every now and then so it has "feel"? LOL.
was i trying to insult someone? I SAID it wasnt my thing.
i dont like grindcore or ska or new country either. doesnt mean its stupid just means i dont get into it.

early as in you said you werent playing shows yet
You don't like grindcore? Bummer.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:23 pm

i like some grindcore parts but not nonstop. i liked it a lot for a while but got burnt out. i still respect it, its just not for me.

maxxwell
Always Touring

Post by maxxwell » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33 am

Funny, two of the labels i work for were talking to me about serpents "should we look more into them for the quick buck, you know ex members of etc" i shot it down hahah
iON TOUR MOSSSSSST OF THE TIME - http://www.myspace.com/senderreceiver

ImageImage

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 pm

It isn't who you know, it's who you blow.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:48 pm

fuck your popularity contest, I wanna see a murder contest gggggggoooooooooo

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 pm

HAHAHA I GOT YOU, FUCKER

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 am

huh? BTW, vids from the first show are up here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SerpentsSup ... ature=mhum

and it looks like we'll be in Iowa City @ Gabes on 5/8.