More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

kurtis
Represent!

Re: T.S.O.L. at the Gas Lamp May 15th

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Also, I will tell everyone that their band sucks even if I haven't heard them. Cause they probably do suck. 90% off all the music I listen to sucks and is terrible. Doesn't mean I don't like it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:48 pm

kurtis wrote:Also, I will tell everyone that their band sucks even if I haven't heard them. Cause they probably do suck. 90% off all the music I listen to sucks and is terrible. Doesn't mean I don't like it.
id say its closer to 99.999999999999999999999999999999

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08 pm

joseph wrote:
kurtis wrote:Also, I will tell everyone that their band sucks even if I haven't heard them. Cause they probably do suck. 90% off all the music I listen to sucks and is terrible. Doesn't mean I don't like it.
id say its closer to 99.999999999999999999999999999999

I was gonna say that buuuuuut i like me some 50s/60s girl group/lady singers, judas priest, and jim croce. those are not shit.

so if I listen to 100 bands/people (more like 30) im in the low 90% area.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:10 pm

they play the radio at work. im in the 99.9999999999999999987 category

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:17 pm

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Imagebetter

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 pm

he had an addition 23 years to make music though

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Hell it's all punk rock to me. The terms are nothing more than marketing.

That said, Unity is still Fascism.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:25 pm

actually they probably both made music about the same amount of time. so you win this round

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:26 pm

kurtis wrote:actually they probably both made music about the same amount of time. so you win this round
FINALLY!!!!!!!

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 pm

DaVo wrote: That said, Unity is still Fascism.
thank you. ive been anti union for everr

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:24 pm

joseph wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote:It definitely happens.
so youre trying to say the "im bettrn you because im cooler because punk vs jocks vs hardcoir vs street punk vs etc is better youre a poser hipster wanna be doofus etc" arguments are what is divisive and not unifying?

cause if thats what youre saying thats what you do.
The only time I've done that is if it's some crap metalcore band, which deserves it. But, I still am not against actually going to some of those shows and talking to those kids. Whatever though.

Jim Croce rules too.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:35 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
joseph wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote:It definitely happens.
so youre trying to say the "im bettrn you because im cooler because punk vs jocks vs hardcoir vs street punk vs etc is better youre a poser hipster wanna be doofus etc" arguments are what is divisive and not unifying?

cause if thats what youre saying thats what you do.
The only time I've done that is if it's some crap metalcore band, which deserves it. But, I still am not against actually going to some of those shows and talking to those kids. Whatever though.

Jim Croce rules too.
ok. to be simple. i had no idea what you were saying originally. and the more you try to say it i dont know what the fuck youre trying to say.

MATT MUTT

Post by MATT MUTT » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:46 pm

JOEY CHAOS wrote:[The only "scene" in DSM/Iowa is the old people.

Kids in DSM suck, I got entirely sick of doing all ages shows when I was booking.

The only kids in DSM that like punk would rather go skateboarding or some dumb shit like that than go to shows.
JOE SAID THIS NOT ME! i DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THIS BOARD RIGHT SOMETIMES

MATT MUTT REPLIED - It's also been over 3 years since you booked anything. the last all ages show I booked drew 151 people. I'd say 50+ were under 21. There is an underage scene here. Maybe I only see it cus I still go to shows everychance I get, and talk to them kids.
I do skateboard and asociate with that community also, I see many great things with "Punk & Skateboarding" in the next 2-3 years.[/quote]

I've done alot to help and support the scene, loseing my ass on almost everything I've done till lately. the last 2 years have been really great (i've been breaking even).
I do approch kids and talk to them about music and skateboarding. ask them if they know anything about punk shows, tell them where to look, and most importantly if I see a kid I've meet come to a show I try to make him feel welcome and NOT intimidated. This is the reason I beleave my shows have been doing better and better.

MATT MUTT

Post by MATT MUTT » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Tyler James wrote

There are some I simply don't care about but if you're saying the kids here suck is a huge blanket statement.

The guys in Motivated are around my age and even though you've never been to one of their shows, they are doing the same thing Shane did.

The problem I think is a lot of us think we are "too old" to reach out to the younger generation. The DMHC collective is working on hard on changing that!

edit - Another thing is I don't think constantly down talking to new kids who come around is a healthy thing for the scene.

was this aimed at me? Cus I'm pretty sure I don't go around down talking kids or make them feel unwanted at shows.

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Matt, Tyler's post was praising yours.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm

MATT MUTT wrote:Tyler James wrote

There are some I simply don't care about but if you're saying the kids here suck is a huge blanket statement.

The guys in Motivated are around my age and even though you've never been to one of their shows, they are doing the same thing Shane did.

The problem I think is a lot of us think we are "too old" to reach out to the younger generation. The DMHC collective is working on hard on changing that!

edit - Another thing is I don't think constantly down talking to new kids who come around is a healthy thing for the scene.

was this aimed at me? Cus I'm pretty sure I don't go around down talking kids or make them feel unwanted at shows.
No it wasn't aimed at you. I was agreeing with what you had said.
joseph wrote:ok. to be simple. i had no idea what you were saying originally. and the more you try to say it i dont know what the fuck youre trying to say.
Um, I feel like it's pretty straight forward. A lot of older guys get elitist attitudes and act like they're better because they've been into punk/hc, longer or think that what they listen to makes them "better" than new kids instead of embracing them.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:40 pm

i think it's pretty cool to get kids into bands & music. my cousin luke is like 13 now & i'm making him copies of all kinds of shit right now.

MATT MUTT

Post by MATT MUTT » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Shane wrote:Matt, Tyler's post was praising yours.
aw, ok.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
MATT MUTT wrote:Tyler James wrote

No it wasn't aimed at you. I was agreeing with what you had said.
joseph wrote:ok. to be simple. i had no idea what you were saying originally. and the more you try to say it i dont know what the fuck youre trying to say.
Um, I feel like it's pretty straight forward. A lot of older guys get elitist attitudes and act like they're better because they've been into punk/hc, longer or think that what they listen to makes them "better" than new kids instead of embracing them.
I don' think this is an old or new problem. It's my experience it goes both ways. More so with punk or hardcore or whatever marketing term you want to attach to it. Often it is the new trying to clear out the old and the old being overly protective of what they consider their turf. The silliness is often what they are claiming as their own is the same thing with a different label. Punk rock has a long history of elitism and trolls under the bridge and I'm not sure how you change that but I do know that it's hard to change that when you divide the scene by age. I also know that from a promotional stand point to often you have to put aside you own beliefs to break in or better yet clear a profit.

There are a lot of reasons that I brought up the all ages subject. One being that I have always had a drive to make sure that the generations of punkdom to come have it better off than we did in the dark ages of the 80s. A period when we were lucky to have 10 hall shows a year. Since I have a son that is coming up to his teens maybe it's a little more pressing. Des Moines has always cared very little about having a music scene at all. Regardless of all the glad handing that has going on for the last few years, the city fathers would much rather see those under 21 safe at home by 9pm. When I see a reduction in all ages shows, it says to me that the scene is in decline and I'm hopeful to hear that it isn't.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:14 am

I couldn't care less about this show, but I would love to see more earlier matinee shows at least on the weekends. Don't have shit scheduled to start at 8pm and really start at 10 and run until 2 when there are 3 bands because that's a waste of everyone's time.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:43 am

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Darrin wrote:Don't have shit scheduled to start at 8pm and really start at 10
This is my least favorite thing ever. If I see 'doors at 5, show at 6', I'm gonna show up by 6 if the first band is good. It sucks a lot to have to wait 2 hours later than the flyer time for the show to start. TAKE NOTE, DMHC.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:26 am

You are not the only one Shane. At Nick's show (Colony, Thieves) he will probably have it start at the time the flier says. We were all pretty annoyed when everyone showed up late at the last couple.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:55 am

we've been fairly good at starting the shows on time. i dont see any problems in that area. all of our shows will be all ages all the time.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:03 am

tylerjames515 wrote:
seriously? thats the dumbest thing ive heard in a long time.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:38 am

Darrin wrote:I couldn't care less about this show, but I would love to see more earlier matinee shows at least on the weekends. Don't have shit scheduled to start at 8pm and really start at 10 and run until 2 when there are 3 bands because that's a waste of everyone's time.
See it's one of those damned if you do. It was my experience that when you did start them on time no one was there because they figured it was going to start late. Then you have opening bands trying to stale till more people show up. That's why I started putting doors at ___ on the flyers. My standard was first set 30 to 45 minutes after door. Regardless you would still get bands or fans bitching. What always pissed me off was people that would show up late because they thought they would get in cheaper.

The other side is that most bands, especially national acts, are really the type of people that show up on time. The award for the band mostly likely not to show up on time goes to Murphy's Law. Last show I did with them was in Omaha. They showed up an hour and 20 minutes after their set time. In fact they left Denver at the same time as we were opening the doors. Of course they showed up, loaded on stage in less then 15 minutes and put on a great show.

It also sucks when you show up an hour or so after the start time to avoid sitting through the openers and find out they haven't even gotten on stage yet.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 pm

joseph wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote:
seriously? thats the dumbest thing ive heard in a long time.
Well it happens. I've seen it and I know other people have too, I'm not saying YOU personally do it. Just that it does happen.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:21 pm

i dont do it. ive never been anything but nice and polite. on the internet i could come off as a jerk but i dont ridicule anybody. im definitely not better than anybody and would never say i was unless i was being sarcastic. call me out on anything at any time. please.

i will make fun of blind following the blind and people not having their own opinions.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:35 am

I've never had a reason, you've never done anything to me worth being called out for. Everyone gets attitudes about some shit sometimes don't get me wrong, but people that consistently talk down to you for liking something that isn't necessarily the same as what you listen to is really fucking lame.