arugula
dragons tongue beans
kentucky wonder beans
daikon
parsnips
grape vine
strawberries
a thin little tomato plant
-on saturday. so i got about half planted. ive almost tripled my garden size since last year. im trying to keep better notes this year in regards to what grows well and what doesnt. i still have my melon patch to plant. to finish an arbor and im waiting on a bunch of raspberry and gooseberry and grapes to arrive on my porch that i ordered last week. more tomatoes and pepper seedlings and more strawberries yet to plant as well.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: gardening

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm

I planted spinach, kale, arugula, radishes, beets, garlic, carrots, snow peas, collards, pac choi and red onions at another location about six weeks ago. I should have some lettuces and maybe some radishes ready there to harvest.

At my place I have the following:

Strawberries
Blackberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Kiwis
Various types of bell peppers
Various types of tomatoes
Eggplant
Pepperonici
Hungarian Wax Peppers
Jalapenos
Kale
Spinach
Pac Choi
Collards
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Bunching onions
Red Onions
Garlic
Beets
Carrots - Danvers and mixed colors
Snow Peas
Haricot Vert bush beans (that's "green beans" for those of you that don't parle le Francais)
Snap Peas
Watermelon
Cucumber
Yellow squash
Canteloupe
Cabbage

Herbs - Chives, Cumin, Cilantro, Oregano, Lavendar, Horehound, Fennel, Chamomile, Basil, Stevia, Peppermint, Thyme, Dill, Parsley and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Oh, I also have a box of potatoes going.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Mon May 09, 2011 1:55 pm

We did some gardening yesterday. Tyler built some boxes and we planted:

onion
radishes
watermelon
red bell pepper
banana pepper
jalapeno pepper
cantalope
strawberries
tomatoes
basil
oregano
maybe some others I'm forgetting

Still have to plant some cucumber and green beans and maybe get a couple more tomato plants. Not entirely sure if we'll do the cucumber since the package says they need 4 feet of space, which we really don't have.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 09, 2011 1:57 pm

do you grow from seeds?
how well does your eggplant do?
ive grown rosa bianca from seed for the past 4? years. its always seems... fussy

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Darrin wrote:Still have to plant some cucumber and green beans and maybe get a couple more tomato plants. Not entirely sure if we'll do the cucumber since the package says they need 4 feet of space, which we really don't have.
i staked mine to a pole last year. it grew up and down it. i just had to retie it about once a week. this year im gonna try netting it up.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Darrin wrote: Still have to plant some cucumber and green beans and maybe get a couple more tomato plants. Not entirely sure if we'll do the cucumber since the package says they need 4 feet of space, which we really don't have.

Cucumbers (and zucchini, watermelon and canteloupe) can take up some room. If you're limited in space, you could maybe trellis cucumbers upwards or put a plant in a container and keep it like that.
joseph wrote:do you grow from seeds?
how well does your eggplant do?
ive grown rosa bianca from seed for the past 4? years. its always seems... fussy
Well, I tried to grow all my tomatoes, eggplant and peppers from seed, but my greenhouse got blown over in a storm and completely ruined everything so I ended up buying plants. I didn't have my broccoli and cabbage seeds in that greenhouse, so fortunately they made it to the garden. Bought a couple of cauliflower plants on a whim but everything else is seeds.

I haven't had too much luck with eggplant. I had a plant in a container two years ago that produced a few. Hopefully this year will be better.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 09, 2011 3:18 pm

what kind of greenhouse?

ive been using these for years
last year i finally stepped up to
with one of these
and one of these

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 09, 2011 3:30 pm

It's a small shelf-style thing. It's basically a shelf with a clear garment bag over it. It actually works pretty well...as long as you can keep it anchored.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm

those shelf bag ones are nice. i like that you can just buy the bag and not the shelving.

i want one of these

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Yeah, one of those would definitely be sweet. I kind of want an aquaponics system, but when/if I move in the next five years.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 09, 2011 4:27 pm

El Rhino wrote:Yeah, one of those would definitely be sweet. I kind of want an aquaponics system, but when/if I move in the next five years.
really? thats what actually got me into growing food. i couldnt figure out why tomatoes tasted like nothing. then i found out most of them are hydroponically grown. so they taste like water and liquid fertilizer. i havent bought any tomatoes for maybe 8 years? that and i grew tomatoes in an old weed closet in a house in minneapolis in the winter. that was the best.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 pm

We're talking about the same thing? Raising fish and using the wastewater from the fish to hydroponically raise vegetables and the food the fish eat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

El Rhino wrote:We're talking about the same thing? Raising fish and using the wastewater from the fish to hydroponically raise vegetables and the food the fish eat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics
ah shit noes we werent talking about the same thing. i didnt know that term applied to an actual process. i thought it was a brand name for hydroponic kits.

ive seen a few tv shows that have visited those kinds of farms. its very survivalist thinking. interesting but i dont want to devote that much time to it as long as the apocolypse isnt here yet.

i was gonna get a goat but realized id have to milk it daily and fuckkkkk that. the southside might suck but its not a third world country.

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue May 10, 2011 2:26 am

El Rhino wrote: but my greenhouse got blown over in a storm and completely ruined everything
HARVEST MOON 64

But seriously though, I wish my lease wasn't up in August so I could start a garden.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 am

joseph wrote:
Darrin wrote:Still have to plant some cucumber and green beans and maybe get a couple more tomato plants. Not entirely sure if we'll do the cucumber since the package says they need 4 feet of space, which we really don't have.
i staked mine to a pole last year. it grew up and down it. i just had to retie it about once a week. this year im gonna try netting it up.
i was going to suggest the same thing, thats what we started doing a couple years ago just because those vines go allllll over the place and turn into a pain in the ass at times...

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Tue May 10, 2011 4:58 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:
joseph wrote:
i was going to suggest the same thing, thats what we started doing a couple years ago just because those vines go allllll over the place and turn into a pain in the ass at times...
That's a good idea, definitely something I'll look into.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 11, 2011 9:39 am

any advice for killing squinnies? or ground squirrels?

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed May 11, 2011 5:20 pm

ummm, i dont condone this...
but turn your car on, but a hose over your exhaust pipe, lead the hose to the hole...thats what they used to do at my school on the football field anyways...kinda fucked up...

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Darrin wrote: That's a good idea, definitely something I'll look into.
its also benifitial because you dont have to worry about turning them to prevent rot(which is by no means a big deal, but one less thing to worry about)...i always had that problem when i just let them sprawl...

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:ummm, i dont condone this...
but turn your car on, but a hose over your exhaust pipe, lead the hose to the hole...thats what they used to do at my school on the football field anyways...kinda fucked up...
hahah. my uncle used to pour gasoline in the hole and then light it. i bought some of the rodent smoke bombs but thats not working.
i have too many kids as neighbors i should buy them bb guns.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 am

planted
6 tomato plants
3 pepperocinis
2 napoleon bell peppers
1 rosa bianca eggplant(doesnt look so hot)
1 blackberry
1 raspberry

onions and radishes are up. and 1 bean

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu May 19, 2011 3:37 pm

beets are up.

planted blackberry and gooseberry.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 pm

We've had some shitty weather the last week, doubt everything will make it but some are still looking good.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 23, 2011 12:25 pm

dug up another plot.
planted watermelons, zucchini, acorn squash, cucumbers, more tomatoes and eggplant

built a trellis prototype for my berries.

beans, parsnip, lettuces, onions, carrots all up

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Against my better judgment, I planted some zucchini this weekend. That's something that there's no shortage of out there during the season. People are always giving it away and I usually get enough from my CSA. I just want to get a good plant or two going, that's it.

Planted more red onions. Planting tarragon and tomatillos this afternoon.

Beets are almost ready, peas are growing like crazy and I'd imagine in another week or two I can get a good score of various greens from my off-site location.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

I just moved into a new rental where I'll spend my last year in this wretched town, so I kept on a small scale this time.

All I have going is red and green bell peppers, big boy tomatos, large cherry tomatos, jalepenos, hot "thai" peppers, Jalokias and watermelons (don't worry, we don't have any of those here, that's the only thing I actually DO like about this town).

Once I get moved into the place I'm working on I'll have about an acre of garden, an acre of sweet corn and a 1/4 acre of pumpkins.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:32 pm

The shelf has most of my herbs and there's some smaller pepper varieties in the larger containers. That table has two kiwi vines (to be transplanted to an arbor later), stevia and a mignonette strawberry

This bed has some bush beans, peas, shallots, carrots, beets, garlic and pac choi

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:42 pm

planted moress
carrots
raidshes
daikon
parsnips
let us es
beets
chards
bean

ate my first tomatoes yesterday.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:19 pm

I've been harvesting a shitload of cucumbers this week. First cherry tomato on Saturday with a ton of other green tomatoes on the vines. Picked a couple zucchini and yellow squash. Been getting a ton of French green beans and pulled in a decent haul of snow peas. Picked a few carrots, they should be ready shortly. Shallots are in. I've picked a few various hot peppers, about all the herbs I want and a few potatoes (didn't plant many of those). Oh, picked the first eggplant too, with more to come within the next couple of days.

Does anyone have any tomatillo plants? I planted one without knowing they weren't self-fertile. The plant looks like it's doing well, but it's not fruiting.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 pm

its probably still early but yesterday i planted beans, peas, brussel sprouts, honeydew, zuchinni, carrots, onions.