More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

tylerjames515

Re: vaudeville mews the new house of bricks?

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:
joseph wrote:
Bullet Tooth wrote:
dmhc never used the mews anyway. refused to work with ladd since he sucks.

no spot will be happening. this town doesnt want it to.
glad to see the dmhc is so full of positivity
just the facts, mannnnnnn
Truth. I stuck around hoping that it'd change.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 pm

House of Bricks sells french fries and Monster drinks.
I poop on Petland!

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:House of Bricks sells french fries and Monster drinks.
HOB actually has decent bar food.
It's hard to pray with broken hands

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 pm

buck rotten wrote:
This is true. The cream corn bites rule. That means the HOB is actually better than the Mews

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:
buck rotten wrote:
This is true. The cream corn bites rule. That means the HOB is actually better than the Mews
And that is sad. You know from what I'm hearing the Ingersol is really hard up. I would think that even though the place is huge and would kind of suck if it wasn't full, they might be wide open to anything. Hardcore shows could do more damage to the place than the gangsta rap shows. At least no one has fired a gun at a Des Moines Hardcore show for a while.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Vaudeville is almost as big of a joke as the promoters they work with. Serious LOL @ the dumbass who booked the serpents show. Have fun losing your ass on ANOTHER show. How many is that this year? 75? 90? 100+? LOL.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Shitty bands dont really draw well.......... so there you have it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:29 am

Beaver wrote:Shitty bands dont really draw well.......... so there you have it.
or bands that no one has heard of.

and the mews does not have a promoter. the mews has a booker.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Right that's probably why I said "THE PROMOTERS THEY WORK WITH".

The "promoters" in this town are a disgrace. Unfortunately it seems like all the local bands will never figure this out.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Varg wrote:Right that's probably why I said "THE PROMOTERS THEY WORK WITH".
i love that you think im always trying to argue with you.

i was making a general statement about the mews. the promotion thing gets brought up very often in reference to the mews. and as far as i know the hob doesnt have a promoter either or peoples. i think val air does but dont know for sure...

if you want to argue i can safely say whoever your favorite band is, sucks.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:53 pm

joseph wrote:

i was making a general statement about the mews. the promotion thing gets brought up very often in reference to the mews. and as far as i know the hob doesnt have a promoter either or peoples. i think val air does but dont know for sure...

Promoter - rents the venue, put up the money back the show, runs the show, takes care of the production cost, pays for promotion, runs the show, etc... all out of their own pocket,

Talent Buyer - Works more as a manager, arranging shows, runs the show but doesn't take a penny out of their own pocket and is often paid a salary plus a share of ticket profit.

Most of the Promoters/talent buyers work somewhere in the middle. Like with Axiom Promotions. I only set up part of the shows, paid for some of the promotion, did some of the leg work, bought the stuff on the rider out of pocket but a majority of the time the finical risk was handled by the bar. Oh and I wasn't paid a salary and only earned pennies from the ticket profit but I wasn't taking the risk.

At this point in the history of live music the Band Management, Booking Agents, bands and venues all have their collective heads up their asses. The way it is set up now the Venue, the band and the booking agents are guaranteed some profit while a true promoter putting up their own money takes the biggest risk and gets the smallest cut of the pie. That's why most good promoters that are willing to take risks never last. They either get tried of banging their head against the wall or losing money. That's why most are working as a high breed talent buyer or are contracted to a venue. So to protect their interest they squeeze out anyone new or might effect their bottom line. It's capitalism at work.

I find it strange that 20 years after the first Hairy Mary's opened and started doing shows with bands playing originals, we have more venues, more bands and more shows than ever but the whole promotion side of it is controlled by only a handful of people. I think of the number of conversation I had about show first with Shawn and Paul, then Jake and then with Jeff, John and Fathead where the bottom line was not monetary reward but simple this was a show that needed to happen. I see that in what Nate Fetus, Matt Mutt and the DMHCC does and why I try to support them when I can. It's something we need more of.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Our goal is to break even and we usually do. Success!

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08 am

DaVo wrote:Promoter - rents the venue, put up the money back the show, runs the show, takes care of the production cost, pays for promotion, runs the show, etc... all out of their own pocket,

Talent Buyer - Works more as a manager, arranging shows, runs the show but doesn't take a penny out of their own pocket and is often paid a salary plus a share of ticket profit.

Most of the Promoters/talent buyers work somewhere in the middle. Like with Axiom Promotions. I only set up part of the shows, paid for some of the promotion, did some of the leg work, bought the stuff on the rider out of pocket but a majority of the time the finical risk was handled by the bar. Oh and I wasn't paid a salary and only earned pennies from the ticket profit but I wasn't taking the risk.

At this point in the history of live music the Band Management, Booking Agents, bands and venues all have their collective heads up their asses. The way it is set up now the Venue, the band and the booking agents are guaranteed some profit while a true promoter putting up their own money takes the biggest risk and gets the smallest cut of the pie. That's why most good promoters that are willing to take risks never last. They either get tried of banging their head against the wall or losing money. That's why most are working as a high breed talent buyer or are contracted to a venue. So to protect their interest they squeeze out anyone new or might effect their bottom line. It's capitalism at work.

I find it strange that 20 years after the first Hairy Mary's opened and started doing shows with bands playing originals, we have more venues, more bands and more shows than ever but the whole promotion side of it is controlled by only a handful of people. I think of the number of conversation I had about show first with Shawn and Paul, then Jake and then with Jeff, John and Fathead where the bottom line was not monetary reward but simple this was a show that needed to happen. I see that in what Nate Fetus, Matt Mutt and the DMHCC does and why I try to support them when I can. It's something we need more of.
hahahaha

its not that hard. never has been. never was never will be.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:15 pm

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:

Promoter - rents the venue, put up the money back the show, runs the show, takes care of the production cost, pays for promotion, runs the show, etc... all out of their own pocket,

Thanks for explaining what a promoter is. We're all idiots here and clearly no one had the foggiest idea. Glad you could dumb it down and speak to us on our little retard level, you patronizing twat.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Varg wrote: Thanks for explaining what a promoter is. We're all idiots here and clearly no one had the foggiest idea. Glad you could dumb it down and speak to us on our little retard level, you patronizing twat.
You are welcome little man. We are all so proud of you. You have learned to use big words like patronizing even though I don't think you really understand the meaning of the word in reference to my post but you get a big gold star for effort. Now I hope you read the post and understand the meaning of the word, promoter. Now say it with me Varg, Prooooo-mooot-eeer, promoter. If you don't completely understand it maybe we could get a puppet show together for you or I could write to PBS and Elmo could do a feature on it for you.

Glad to see that you can still miss the point of any post and take each one as some kind of personal attach on you intellect or lack there of. Own up to it and try being a man, you were using the term promoter to describe someone who is in fact a talent buyer.
Last edited by DaVo on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 pm

i think its fun that the people that compain about shows and stuff are usually the people that rarely go to shows.

my number one complaint is not enough people go to shows. when more people go more bands have fun/get paid come back and tell their friends in other bands how good it is. usually its "des moines? skip it. nobody shows up and you dont get paid."

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:55 pm

joseph wrote:i think its fun that the people that compain about shows and stuff are usually the people that rarely go to shows.

my number one complaint is not enough people go to shows. when more people go more bands have fun/get paid come back and tell their friends in other bands how good it is. usually its "des moines? skip it. nobody shows up and you dont get paid."
Yeah but you have to give them something that is worth getting off the couch, driving to the venue and forking out money for. That's different for everyone but I have to say lately that's been about 4 times a year. The rest of the time I spend most of the night out sitting there thinking, "I could be as entertained sitting on the couch as I am now. I feel like I just got burned." A lot of that is me, my life, my interests and my priorities but I'm not alone in this. Maybe it's plain old fashion apathy or good old fashion laziness but I haven't been excited about a show in Des Moines since T.S.O.L. in May. I guess I'm saying give people something worth leaving the house and spending money on and they will come.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:34 pm

DaVo wrote:Yeah but you have to give them something that is worth getting off the couch, driving to the venue and forking out money for. That's different for everyone but I have to say lately that's been about 4 times a year. The rest of the time I spend most of the night out sitting there thinking, "I could be as entertained sitting on the couch as I am now. I feel like I just got burned." A lot of that is me, my life, my interests and my priorities but I'm not alone in this. Maybe it's plain old fashion apathy or good old fashion laziness but I haven't been excited about a show in Des Moines since T.S.O.L. in May. I guess I'm saying give people something worth leaving the house and spending money on and they will come.
that is why des moines sucks and always will for bands. no one gives a fuck. its not a "scene" here. its a bunch of indie rock college wannabes that want to be into this "cool" "underground" and then get real jobs and marriages and kids and shit. FUCK YOUR MONEY AND YOUR ITS NOT WORTH IT TO ME BULLSHIT. what value do i get out of it? "man, man, thats not what the musics about bro............"
im not trying to personally attack you (dave) at all. i get that people got lives and everyone should do everything they want. no one should do anything out of obligation. i just enjoy the argument that people dont get their moneys worth. . then go see some top 40 sell out blink 187 band or some shit and quit bitching about bands and shows that are here in MY city.

if seeing bands is on the same level as going to a movie or game or some shit then i dont want to be around people like that anyway. fuck your "value". thats why i got into punk rock to fucking begin with. im gonna say it again- im sorry, i dont mean anything mean or to be a dick at all. i am not good at expressing my brain.

and my favorite quote still is-

if youre not now, you never were.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:47 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:Yeah but you have to give them something that is worth getting off the couch, driving to the venue and forking out money for. That's different for everyone but I have to say lately that's been about 4 times a year. The rest of the time I spend most of the night out sitting there thinking, "I could be as entertained sitting on the couch as I am now. I feel like I just got burned." A lot of that is me, my life, my interests and my priorities but I'm not alone in this. Maybe it's plain old fashion apathy or good old fashion laziness but I haven't been excited about a show in Des Moines since T.S.O.L. in May. I guess I'm saying give people something worth leaving the house and spending money on and they will come.
that is why des moines sucks and always will for bands. no one gives a fuck. its not a "scene" here. its a bunch of indie rock college wannabes that want to be into this "cool" "underground" and then get real jobs and marriages and kids and shit. FUCK YOUR MONEY AND YOUR ITS NOT WORTH IT TO ME BULLSHIT. what value do i get out of it? "man, man, thats not what the musics about bro............"
im not trying to personally attack you (dave) at all. i get that people got lives and everyone should do everything they want. no one should do anything out of obligation. i just enjoy the argument that people dont get their moneys worth. . then go see some top 40 sell out blink 187 band or some shit and quit bitching about bands and shows that are here in MY city.

if seeing bands is on the same level as going to a movie or game or some shit then i dont want to be around people like that anyway. fuck your "value". thats why i got into punk rock to fucking begin with. im gonna say it again- im sorry, i dont mean anything mean or to be a dick at all. i am not good at expressing my brain.

and my favorite quote still is-

if youre not now, you never were.
I get you, it's frustrating but too often it comes down to money. It's pay bills or go out and there was a point when I felt more of an obligation to see a band then a real desire to. The biggest thing for me was has gotten to a point where it's quantity over quality. Putting on shows just to fill a calender instead of putting on an event. There was a time in my life where unless I was working or flat broke, I went to a show regardless. Growing up and having life get complicated with kids and jobs is part of it but there really isn't a scene that revolves around any of these venues. It has to have something more than a few bands and a bar. There needs to be a community behind it. Which is not something I've never seen at the Mews or other venues in town. I think when that happens thing will change.

You know it's strange but this is the first time in my life when I don't have some pet project or new challenge in my life but I just don't have the drive to invest a large part of my free time to being even a face in the crowd. It could be burn out but it seems more now then any other point in my life, I have complete lack of interest with what is going on. I'd like to there's something new going on and I"m just missing it but when I have ventured out looking for that something it just seems I head home feeling disappointed. Even as jaded as that sounds, I would like nothing more than believe I'm just not looking hard enough to find it.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:14 pm

DaVo wrote:
Varg wrote: Thanks for explaining what a promoter is. We're all idiots here and clearly no one had the foggiest idea. Glad you could dumb it down and speak to us on our little retard level, you patronizing twat.
You are welcome little man. We are all so proud of you. You have learned to use big words like patronizing even though I don't think you really understand the meaning of the word in reference to my post but you get a big gold star for effort. Now I hope you read the post and understand the meaning of the word, promoter. Now say it with me Varg, Prooooo-mooot-eeer, promoter. If you don't completely understand it maybe we could get a puppet show together for you or I could write to PBS and Elmo could do a feature on it for you.

Glad to see that you can still miss the point of any post and take each one as some kind of personal attach on you intellect or lack there of. Own up to it and try being a man, you were using the term promoter to describe someone who is in fact a talent buyer.
We get it dude, you've read Passman's book and now you think you're a MB mogul. LOL give me a fucking break, guy. You were extremely patronizing- and you're not even intelligent which makes the whole thing quite offensive. You're a nobody in the MB world even on the local scene and you think nobody here knows what a promoter does. Shit, I'm not even that full of myself to think that I'd have to explain to anyone on this board the ins and outs of LOW LEVEL music business operations.

You're pathetic and you need to get a grip.

And an education.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Varg wrote:
DaVo wrote:

We get it dude, you've read Passman's book and now you think you're a MB mogul. LOL give me a fucking break, guy. You were extremely patronizing- and you're not even intelligent which makes the whole thing quite offensive. You're a nobody in the MB world even on the local scene and you think nobody here knows what a promoter does. Shit, I'm not even that full of myself to think that I'd have to explain to anyone on this board the ins and outs of LOW LEVEL music business operations.

You're pathetic and you need to get a grip.

And an education.
I promoted my first show over 20 years ago. What were you doing 20 years ago? Playing with building blocks and pissing in your power ranger underoos? First off, I never said nor did I claim to be in the music business. In fact, I've been happily out of it that sinking ship for a number of years now. You have no clue what circles I've moved in in the past, boy and my education didn't come from a book, it came from first hand experience and it wasn't as a gofer at some unimportant little indy label. I've worked DIY bands all the way up to A&R and Management at Major labels and everything in between.

Do you really think you are king shit cause you are working for a label? What label is it anyway? Is it A&R or are you one of those losers in record promotions? I'm not sure if anyone has told you but you are getting in on the tail end of something that should have died off a long ass time ago.

If you are so in the know and such a billy big ass, then you should know how to use the correct terms to describe what the hell you are talking about. Yeah I'm knit picking but I wasn't sure who the hell you were talking about when you said Promoters. Was it the Talent buyer working at the club that seem to only be calender fillers or were you talking about the Promoters who really put up the risk and are really the only ones bring anything new to the club? Let me clue your in on something, Mr Big Brain, if you use specific terms then people have a clear understand what the hell you are talking about. Maybe instead of post as Varg, you should change it to Vague.

Happy Trolling

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Heheh. Joseph said "Blink 187"

Also, that Vag person just seems lame.
It's hard to pray with broken hands

MATT MUTT

Post by MATT MUTT » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:26 pm

I can think of a couple "promoters" that still use hob on occasion.

I'm with Davo on this. There is a huge diffrence between a Talent buyer & a Promoter. many people dont actually know the diffrence and think just cus he/she/friend work at a venue, they are a promoter.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am

MATT MUTT wrote:I can think of a couple "promoters" that still use hob on occasion.

I'm with Davo on this. There is a huge diffrence between a Talent buyer & a Promoter. many people dont actually know the diffrence and think just cus he/she/friend work at a venue, they are a promoter.

Really? I don't think I know anyone that would think a promoter actually works at the venue. I guess I don't hang out with idiots though.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:18 am

this is like business school.

so, .. its stupid.

MATT MUTT

Post by MATT MUTT » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:13 pm

The world is full stupid people. I'd be willing to bet you know a few.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 pm

scene politics/business < everything else about setting up/going to shows

Davo and Varg's bickering... blah blah blah, who cares?

Mews is still the best thing Des Moines has going... you know, until we get another DIY spot

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 pm

until phat zach ruins it by being high all the time!

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:18 am

kylervk wrote:scene politics/business < everything else about setting up/going to shows

Mews is still the best thing Des Moines has going... you know, until we get another DIY spot

How the hell do you figure VM is DIY?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 am

Varg wrote:
kylervk wrote:scene politics/business < everything else about setting up/going to shows

How the hell do you figure VM is DIY?
Man, are you thick. He said "Until we get another DIY spot." as in another venue. Also to a degree there have been a number of show that were promoted by DIY promoters and bands. They just so happened to be at the Mews Not much different then kids putting on a show at a hall. The same could be said of most of the venues in this city.