More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

buck rotten

Food that sucks in Des Moines

Post by buck rotten » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:53 pm

I wanted to keep the negativity or this board going, but in a positive way.

Here is some food in Des Moines I don't like:

Hy-Vee Chinese- It's gross and cold. The egg drop soup tastes like water and excessive corn starch, with a hint of vomit. I threw it down the drain, which clogged.

Jimmy Johns- Once, I got a sandwich there and it was so bad I threw it at the window.

Tasty Tacos- I don't get it. Specially seasoned, huh... where?? It tastes like grease and salt, nothing more. And you add the hot sauce, and it tastes like grease and salt and generic sugar-free ketchup.
It's hard to pray with broken hands

buck rotten

Re: Food that sucks in Des Moines

Post by buck rotten » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Oh, and Fazoli's. It's worse than those little frozen carboard meals that you heat up in the microwave, and one side ends up rock hard and the other side is a mixture of ice chunks and 700 degrees chunks that at least don't make you sick.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 am

fazolis is the worst excuse for food in the world.

you dont like tastys cause you grew up eating taco johns.

hyvee chinese is better than probably 90% of chinese restaurants in des moines. im not saying its good just better.

ILL ADD

ADONG AND WAVELAND

both dirty crappy food that ANYONE could make in 10 minutes or less with more taste at home.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:48 am

BENNIGANS

and anything with a guinness glaze/sauce

gross

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:55 am

Anything from hy-vee tastes like shit. Their deli is a fucking disgrace. Hy-vee chinese in Ames was substantially better than the ones in des moines for some reason. It DOES taste like shit down here.

Taco John's tastes like shit. Their beef is fucking dog-food quality. Absolutely disgusting.

There's a Panda Express drive-thru in Altoona, but I don't even have to go there to know how awful that is.

Hy-vee sucks and I fucking hate all their shit.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Dahl's deli = a solidified fart on a plate. I ordered something called ham balls there. I don't know why. I don't even like ham. It was terrible. I could have put it outside and watched all the neighborhood cats fight over it, just to see the winning cat be so very disappointed. It wasn't even worth throwing at anything. I think it sat in the coffee cup holder of my car for a few days, then I started to worry that it might become a dangerous projectile in case of an accident.

I'm not going to try to defend Taco John's because I don't like it, and this is a negative thread. But as an east sider, I didn't grow up eating it as much as you might think. It only comes in handy as tour food.

Barcass Grinder

Post by Barcass Grinder » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:50 pm

What kind of faggot goes to a restaurant and orders soup?

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Fong's pizza - nothing fancy.
Star bar - artsy fartsy b/s.
Legends - yuck.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:32 am

I'll go ahead and add Fuddrucker's to the list. $12 for a MEH burger. Blow me.

And zombie burger is gay because it's capitalizing on a gay zombie-craze that's already gay enough.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:51 am

Varg wrote: And zombie burger is gay because it's capitalizing on a gay zombie-craze that's already gay enough.

It seems like everyone who hasn't been there yet is really enthusiastic about it and out of everyone I know that has actually been there, they pretty much only have bad/mediocre things to say about it.

Zombies are gay.

RE: Hy-Vee Chinese. I'm going to give it a nod of approval as it stands out in the low-to-moderate priced Chinese cuisine field. It beats Mr. Egg Roll and Panda Express and is pretty much on par with any restaurant with "China", "Dragon", "House" or "Jade" in the name and a lot more convenient. Every now and then I'll get a craving for cheap Chinese food and end up bringing some home. Those people have something in their genes that keeps them from striving for differentiation and improved quality, so Chinese food damn near everywhere is about equally mediocre. Fortunately it's usually a good formula and more or less appealing. I would someday like to go to a really good Chinese restaurant, but I'm not sure if they REALLY exist.

Martin Yan, however, stands out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT9lKA5_bPI

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 am

if Yan can cook, so can you

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 am

El Rhino wrote:

RE: Hy-Vee Chinese. I'm going to give it a nod of approval as it stands out in the low-to-moderate priced Chinese cuisine field. It beats Mr. Egg Roll and Panda Express and is pretty much on par with any restaurant with "China", "Dragon", "House" or "Jade" in the name and a lot more convenient. Every now and then I'll get a craving for cheap Chinese food and end up bringing some home. Those people have something in their genes that keeps them from striving for differentiation and improved quality, so Chinese food damn near everywhere is about equally mediocre. Fortunately it's usually a good formula and more or less appealing. I would someday like to go to a really good Chinese restaurant, but I'm not sure if they REALLY exist.

It differs from store to store. Some are alright, others are really terrible. I think its the Altoona store makes their sesame chicken really crispy and basically tastes like honey. Basically a honey boneless chicken wing. Terrible.

Its white people chinese.

China Moon up in Ankeny use to be some of the best chinese I had ever had. Around '07 or so their quality seemed to start to decline. I will still eat there as its better than most in the area but its not nearly as great as it use to be. The sunday buffet can be really good.

I hate pretty much all hy-vee food except their breakfast. I could eat that every day.
joseph wrote: ILL ADD

ADONG
Never understood everyone's love for this place.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 am

Varg wrote:gay zombie-craze that's already gay enough.
amen.

when i come back i always try to hit bbops and adong. i ate at waveland last time i was back and that was pretty good. hadn't been there in years. i wish beggar's banquet was still around.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 pm

kurtis wrote:.
Its white people chinese.

I know a lot of people seem to think that "authentic" automatically equals "good", but when something is tweaked towards my Anglo-American tastebuds, I'm probably going to prefer it over whatever they actually eat over there.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:22 pm

what bar has the cheapest nastiest pizza?

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:28 pm

I wouldn't call hy-vee chinese "mediocre." It's downright gross. Never had anything from there that I didn't want to throw out the window.

The thing about ADong that everybody says is that you have to know what number to order. It seems to be true. I always order something that sounds good and it's bleh to meh at best, but my girlfriend's cashew chicken or whatever she gets always looks and smells delicious.

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:29 pm

joseph wrote:what bar has the cheapest nastiest pizza?
I think the Alpine maybe?

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:42 pm

oh! i didnt know they had pizza.
i miss knight cap pizza and a pitcher 7.00 dinners.

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 pm

joseph wrote:oh! i didnt know they had pizza.
i miss knight cap pizza and a pitcher 7.00 dinners.
I think they have pizza. Not positive.

I miss the Walnut Tap.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:51 pm

yes that too but they had pasquales pizza. you can get that at hyvee or dahls

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 am

Came to mention Zombie Burger, but I'm going to add Jethros.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 am

Oh and BANG BANG fucking sucks. Hu Hot is a million times better.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:18 am

Bang Bang is just flat out Bad Bad :wink:

I’m 100% in agreement about the whole concept behind Zombie Burger being really lame. People who have actually read that Zombie Survival Guide need to be punched in the gut. But with everyone telling me how great the actual food was, I had to try it. And it’s not bad at all, pretty good in fact, but it’s clear that Zombie Burger has two things going for it that have hooked everyone in this town: a. The fact that zombies are involved and b. The semi-creative burgers with the funny names that make it so you can tell people that you tried the “Walking Ched” burger, and pull you back in so you can try other burgers with funny names. The Walking Ched was great, but it’s not knock-you-out-of-your-socks great.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:49 am

oh man, bang bang is so terrible.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:49 am

elliot wrote:Bang Bang is just flat out Bad Bad :wink:

I’m 100% in agreement about the whole concept behind Zombie Burger being really lame. People who have actually read that Zombie Survival Guide need to be punched in the gut. But with everyone telling me how great the actual food was, I had to try it. And it’s not bad at all, pretty good in fact, but it’s clear that Zombie Burger has two things going for it that have hooked everyone in this town: a. The fact that zombies are involved and b. The semi-creative burgers with the funny names that make it so you can tell people that you tried the “Walking Ched” burger, and pull you back in so you can try other burgers with funny names. The Walking Ched was great, but it’s not knock-you-out-of-your-socks great.
the zombie survival guide is decent light humor. world war z is fine too. i mean its not literature or anything but if you want to group all zombie stuff together THE WALKING DEAD FUCKING SUCKS.

and punched in the gut?? really?

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 am

Here’s where I’m coming from on that: My ex was way into that stuff, and legitimately believes that zombies will be a real thing one day and that we need to be prepared for it. So I guess I’m really saying that all the people who go down that road of silly bullshit are the ones who deserve a punch.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am

its just mindless entertainment. theres nothing wrong with it. im really sick of zombie over saturation. lumping everyone that reads it as needed punched (when maybe its your ex that needs punched) is lame.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:33 am

oh - also im not trying to say im better than that either. i mean what kind of person over 12 thinks professional wrestling is good in any way??

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 am

A person who knows where they’re going in life and has great taste, that’s who.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 am

ha....

but enjoy your perpetuation of stereotyped bland numb single file line society...... and while your at it you might as well put on clutch for your soundtrack. :D