joseph

food that doesnt suck in des moines?

Post by joseph » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:53 pm

miyabi 9

uh...

india star?
tacos marianas..

kylervk

Re: food that doesnt suck in des moines?

Post by kylervk » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Cool Basil
5 star=Iowa Hot?

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Fuck this thread.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 am

Fire Creek Grill
Sam & Gabe's

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Thai Flavors.

Joseph where can I get good Italian food in D.M.
It's hard to pray with broken hands

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:58 pm

buck rotten wrote: Joseph where can I get good Italian food in D.M.
you cant. or my house? or vinnys.

i like chucks but thats because ive been going there since i was a kid. stay away from the pepper steak unless you really want to eat bell peppers and little meat. latin king is probably the best old school "des moines italian" type. or maybe ginos but not the west glen one(it tastes like olive garden). chicago speakeasy is decent i usually get one of the steak specials tho. barattas is another just ok. scornovaccas, chucks and barattas all have good pizza. all of these places use boxed pasta, none of it is fresh. they all have varying degrees of sweet tomato sauces. and theyre all about the same price bracket but do not ever order just spaghetti and meatballs you can make that shit at home for like 2 bucks and be way happier.

ive heard really good things about sam and gabes and centro but also that youre gonna spend close to 50 per person if youre doing the appetizers wines and full meals.

for a chain i really like Johnnys italian steakhouse on fleur south of army post. ive always had really good service and i felt the food was worth the price but everytime ive been i went all out and got everything and spent about 200 with tip.

ginos and chucks have my favorite for atmosphere. dark, family friendly but also full bar and they havent been updated since early 70s.

and always always order the house dressing with your salad.

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:12 pm

joseph wrote:
buck rotten wrote: Joseph where can I get good Italian food in D.M.
ive heard really good things about sam and gabes and centro but also that youre gonna spend close to 50 per person if youre doing the appetizers wines and full meals.

[/size][/b]
Centro? It's pretty overrated. Definitely not bad, but not exactly four star or whatever. And not worth 50 bucks. I go there every now and then for a salad or lunch or a bloody mary. I usually find something wrong, some small detail that sticks out, especially when you're paying fifteen bucks for a salad or whatever.
It's hard to pray with broken hands

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:15 pm

buck rotten wrote: Centro? It's pretty overrated. Definitely not bad, but not exactly four star or whatever. And not worth 50 bucks. I go there every now and then for a salad or lunch or a bloody mary. I usually find something wrong, some small detail that sticks out, especially when you're paying fifteen bucks for a salad or whatever.

hmm thats what id assummed. i havent been there because i do not like all the windows and seeing high tables and .... guess i like it dark and quiet for my atmosphere to eat.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Italian:
Tumea & Sons - chicken diablo is the shizzle
Baratta's - Cannelloni half red/half white sauce
Centro is a good place to take a date if you want to get all up in them guts.

Pizza:
Scornos is always consistently good
Bordenero's - quaint little place by the zoo. Nice patio for beering in the summer.
La Pizza House - I still love it. Unique. Iconic. But I only go between 11-3 b/c its half off larges.
Orlando's - can't get enough of it. Also have amazing homemade house dressing for salads.

Other:
Smokey D - Hands down best BBQ in town, maybe even the state.
Cool Basil - excellent pad thai
Lucky Dragon - good if it isnt busy. If it is and you are not asian you get shit service.
Americana - has a decent brunch
Henry j's - Boss. Always. Fuck the haters.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

People go fucking nuts over Smokey D's, but I find it just ok. Their best menu item isn't even BBQ....that being their tenderloin sandwich. I admit, I haven't tried their ribs, so a full assessment probably isn't valid without having done so. The first thing I try at a BBQ joint when giving it an initial judging though is the brisket. Smokey D's brisket is balls in my opinion. Their smoked sausage is the best smoked meat on the menu I've had. The pulled pork is pretty good and the smoked chicken is again balls. My favorite thing is probably their sides, especially their potato casserole and the homemade chps with the BBQ ranch dipping sauce. Smokey d's is just run of the mill in terms of smoked meats if you ask me though.

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Smokey D's is pretty good but IDK I think Woody's smoke shack has the best brisket I've ever had, plus I think that's the best bbq in town...and you can eat all the home made corn bread you want!
Cool Basil is the shit
Cosi cocina is pretty good too
Christophers food is good but the service sucks

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Haven't eaten there yet , but gave my brother in law a gift certificate to there for Xmas and he said it was really good.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36 am

TooManyHumyns wrote:Haven't eaten there yet , but gave my brother in law a gift certificate to there for Xmas and he said it was really good.
its good. my vegan brother actually enjoyed it. as well as my dad. the 3 of us never agree on anything.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:23 am

Bring back Battani's.