More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

TooManyHumyns

Re: gardening

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm hoping to start my plots up next week. I'm still trying to figure out what we already have going ...I know we have Rosemary,,Basil, raspberries, possibly black berries, grapes, but they have yet to produce, and hazlenut trees that started producing last year.. any suggestions on what we are supposed to do with all the fucking hazelnuts it looks like were soon to have? We also have several different perrenials coming up.. seems way to early. Stoked for the season. Got the fire pit set up, the garage cleaned up and a lot of the dead plants pulled. I'm ready to go. We started some tomatoes, peppers and spinach a few weeks ago. Any idea if its OK to use seeds that didn't get used last year?I would assume so and that is probably a dumb question... I think I'm going to start saving our seeds this year?

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:37 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:and hazlenut trees that started producing last year.. any suggestions on what we are supposed to do with all the fucking hazelnuts it looks like were soon to have?
you got kids get em a baseball bat.

TooManyHumyns wrote: Any idea if its OK to use seeds that didn't get used last year?I would assume so and that is probably a dumb question...
absolutely use them. ive had some luck with 10 year old seeds before. its worth it to try its like free food.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Awesome. I got a whole bag full of old packets from prior years. Do I need to do anything special to the seeds when I go to save them in the fall? I could probably Google all of this...

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm

youre talking about saving seeds from stuff that will grow this year? yeah google seed saving. ive got a couple of books. depending on the seed they have different procedures. ive always blindly done it and been ok. im gonna try to do it the right way this year.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:49 pm

the open pollinated non organic seeds dont grow as easy from prior years but i dont buy gmo seed or that stuff anymore.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 pm

yeah, i thought we had a book on it, but i can't seem to find it. i will have to do some online research. I typically order from seeds of change and seed savers, but that gets expensive. now that im looking through all my seeds, i've got way more than i know what to do with...i could probably open a shop.i think i counted some 40 different packets...and a few unlabeled ziplocks that we apparently saved from prior years...

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 am

You can use seeds from last year, but the germination rates go down, especially if they weren't stored in a cool, dark place. Different seeds decline at different rates, but you're probably good. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As far as hazelnuts go, fuck, I don't know. You can only eat so many of them. I'd maybe consider just collecting them up and trading them/giving them away to people who have a use for them. All I can think of is that people use them for flavoring more than eating plain or making any sort of product out of them.

So far this year my (overwintered) spinach is going nuts and I have some overwintered kohlrabi, kale, collards, leeks, carrots and chard that are doing pretty good. I planted some radishes, beets, arugula, more spinach, butterhead lettuce, fennel, pac choi and mustard greens last week. I started some tomato, tomatillo, kung pao pepper and a few herb seedlings. Unfortunately I had a bit of a mishap with starting some brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli seedlings so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get these out this spring. I was looking forward to a shitload of cabbage, but oh well. I did just make 13lbs of sauerkraut with store bought cabbage though.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:10 am

if you have a ton of hazelnuts and actually want to use them you could make a hazelnut butter. i also like to drop 2 hazelnuts in a black russian but then i call them brains.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:25 am

thats actually not a bad idea, for the butter and the black russian..., i hadn't thought of that, im not sure when they will start producing, i think i will go read about them while im sitting here. your more than welcome to take some whenever they do.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 am

mid to late autumn, the hazelnut butter is sounding like it could be pretty good...anybody ever tried this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frangelico

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 am

i love all the boozes. its good with ginger beer. my grandma used to use it in cakes

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 am

rutabagas, parsnips, turnips, watermelon, cucumber, fennel, mustard greens, chard, kale, lettuces, radicchio, carrots, radish, flowersss

peas are up, weird. rhubarb going good. grape vines are starting to bud making me nervous, its too early for that.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 pm

so far everything lived thru the frosty

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 pm

hey how do i plant grass? just regular ass grass.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Tyler - are you going to that cannibus cup denver thing on 4/20? I heard it gets pretty "green".

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:53 am

Been harvesting a ton of spinach, a couple radishes (more to come shortly), lettuces, collards and a bit of kale with more coming up. Looking forward to more herbs - right now I just have chives, some small dill plants, catnip and some volunteer parsley and oregano scattered throughout my yard. Really missing fresh basil and spearmint right now.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 am

rhinol- are you using a cold frame or a greenhouse or something?

only thing ive been eating are green onions

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:54 am

I did use a cold frame to get a few things started, but I had good luck with some things overwintering (especially spinach) and planted cold-hardy spring crops a couple weeks ago.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Beaver wrote:Tyler - are you going to that cannibus cup denver thing on 4/20? I heard it gets pretty "green".
naw i don't have a card or really even need one. you should come out.