More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

inx515xhell

Re: Making The Vandon Arms Look Good.

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:51 pm

DaVo wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:wouldn't call them an oi band at all. def more on the hardcore side of things.
and what joe said is true, save for oi polloi, every band in this thread sucks.
They were lumped into the early 80s UK Oi!/Street Punk scene, along with a lot of other bands and were in fact considered a Oi! Skinhead band but then again so was the Exploited.
no, god damnit. they are not and never were a skinhead band. feel free to look that up. however throughout the fifty people they've had in the band, some were skins, and brought the working solidarity yadda yadda idealisms into the band. the only reason anyone would associate oi polloi with oi music is their name.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:55 pm

El Rhino wrote:I always associated Oi Polloi with the patch pants crowd. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a pair of patch pants without an Oi Polloi patch.
yeah, really influential band for the crust scene. i have an oi polloi resist the atomic menace patch.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:25 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
DaVo wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:wouldn't call them an oi band at all. def more on the hardcore side of things.
and what joe said is true, save for oi polloi, every band in this thread sucks.
They were lumped into the early 80s UK Oi!/Street Punk scene, along with a lot of other bands and were in fact considered a Oi! Skinhead band but then again so was the Exploited.
no, god damnit. they are not and never were a skinhead band. feel free to look that up. however throughout the fifty people they've had in the band, some were skins, and brought the working solidarity yadda yadda idealisms into the band. the only reason anyone would associate oi polloi with oi music is their name.
Maybe you didn't read my post but they were in fact lumped in, weather it was the name or not is the question. Not everything was as cut and dried back in the 80s. I knew a number of Skinheads that consider everything from Sham 69 and the Exploited, to Slade and Crass, Oi!/Skinhead bands often much to the horror of the members of the bands.

I hate to kill this fantasy that most Crust kids seem to have, but most of your musical roots came from the big evil Uk Skinhead movement of the late 70s/80s called "Oi!" If truth be known the movement that lead to Crust listened to mostly the shitty political hardcore bands worshiped by MRR's Tim Yohannan(what an asshole). Other then maybe, GBH and the Crass, they considered every band from the UK as sellouts. Especially the Exploited.

So I can say from personal experience that Oi Polloi a Skinhead band. In fact the only people I know that listened to them back then were in fact Skinheads.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Didn't Oi Polloi have some song about "punks and skins"?

Things probably were different back when you were riding your brontasaurus to Black Flag shows, Davo, but I don't think I've ever met a skinhead who listens to Oi Polloi. I imagine that back in your day it was more of a punk influence thing, whereas during my day there was more of a hardcore influence (we're talking SOIA, Warzone, Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, etc) or even ska than anything and a little bit more of an American thing than looking towards the UK.

I imagine Oi Polloi has a little more weight in the skinhead scenes of places like Montreal, Philadelphia, Toronto and parts of Europe where the "Antifa"/RASH bullshit exists. I would really love to visit Montreal, but I hear the scene there is completely fucked up. I would not call them a skinhead band because I'm sure 9.4/10 of their fans have nothing to do with the skinhead scene at all outside maybe knowing a couple of people and maybe having a Cocksparrer CD.

I agree with you that there is a lot of crossover/gray area when it comes to the punk/skin thing. When I first got into the skinhead thing, I was turned off to bands like Sham 69, Angelic Upstarts, Anti-Nowhere League, Exploited, GBH and so-on because I saw them as punk bands, like the type of punks that had wealthy ex-hippie parents and wore leather jackets with a million band names written on them with a white paint marker. I still don't really like a lot of those bands, but I'm open to them and most of them have at least a few songs I like. Angelic Upstarts are one of my favorite bands though.

Tim Johannan did suck. That guy was a fruit.

As far as butt flaps go, I think Conflict or GG Allin takes the record for adorning the most butt flaps I've seen. Can any of you crust punxxxxx give me any insight as to what the butt flap is all about? Is it all style (I use the term loosely) or does it serve some sort of purpose that the rest of us normal people are missing out on?

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:59 pm

El Rhino wrote:Things probably were different back when you were riding your brontasaurus to Black Flag shows
LOL!!! best age joke on this board ever!

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:26 pm

noel_nothing wrote:
El Rhino wrote:Things probably were different back when you were riding your brontasaurus to Black Flag shows
LOL!!! best age joke on this board ever!
I wish it would have been Black Flag, instead of War Zone.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:52 pm

El Rhino wrote:Didn't Oi Polloi have some song about "punks and skins"?

yes they do, it is the punks picnic song that goes "picnic time for punks and skins" in the chorus, and most of it is to the tune of the teddy bear picnic song. they also have a song souly titled "skinhead" which mentions skinheads "always getting picked on by the police" which sounds pretty damn oi to me. it isn't until their later stuff that they got faster and more "crust" approving.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:05 am

i dunno, i think a lot of their early stuff is pretty crust approved, like resist the atomic menace.
its a mixed bag when it comes to them.

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:39 am

OH MY GOD!

:shock:

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:06 pm

joseph wrote:can i be in a skinhead band?

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:48 pm

joseph wrote:
yes. just shave your head and you get instant cred

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 am

Bullet Tooth wrote:
joseph wrote:
yes. just shave your head and you get instant cred
i cant afford the uniform.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 am

do a vinyl dj set and raise money

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:do a vinyl dj set and raise money
hahahah