More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Re: Mews closing in September?

Post by DaVo » Sat May 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Had an interesting conversation ths morning about this situation. It seems the owners of the Mews have been trying to sell it. I heard something to this degree last summer.

The question is this. Is this a case of new property owners wanting to the place to go or is it the owners wanting to get out? If there is an asking price why don't you all find out and pool your money. It can't be that much, they don't own the building.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sat May 17, 2008 5:55 pm

I think the Mews is very diverse. They do have alot of indie rock. But thats what Ladd likes so he books it...I dont like most of it, but some of it is pretty decent. ALso Indie rock is freaking huge now. Minneapolis seems nothing but nowadays. Since Fetus has been booking there has been some sick heavy shit happening there as well. I think it balances out.

I think more people are inclined to pay5-7$ for an indie band theyve never really heard before rather 10-15$ on some has-been punk rock band that plays the same song for an hour.

As far as Mary's go, I am still very sad I cant go and hang anymore. :cry:

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat May 17, 2008 5:55 pm

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat May 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Beaver wrote:I think the Mews is very diverse.

The Mews does have diverse styles, of course. I do think it's a little inaccurate for some people here to dismiss Hairy Mary's as not having any musical diversity though. I've seen punk, hardcore, ska, rap, alt-country, cockasilly, "sleazy rock n' roll" (you know, the tattoos and Johnny Cash & booze crowd), reggae, crust, grind, metal, new-wavey electronic, pop-punk, oi!!!, swing revival bullshit, fiddley-dee Irish music, a certain skitzo black man wtih a keyboard, nu-metal type stuff, thrash, ska-core, riot grrrrrl-esque punk and I'm probably forgetting a few genres that I've seen over the years in that establishment through it's various incarnations.

Do a lot of those genres suck? Certainly. Are some of those genres pretty much the same thing? Yes. Does a good portion of Vaudeville Mew's musical diversity come from genres that an outsider could reasonably lump under "fagz with keyboards"? Yes.

I'm not trying to start an indie rock vs. punk debate, I'm just trying to address the "Hairy Mary's wasn't musically diverse" comments that I've seen on here. Punk (as some of us here who are into it know it) and typical indie rock usually appeal to different types of people. C'est la vie.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sat May 17, 2008 8:33 pm

El Rhino wrote: Does a good portion of Vaudeville Mew's musical diversity come from genres that an outsider could reasonably lump under "fagz with keyboards"? Yes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sat May 17, 2008 8:34 pm

El Rhino wrote:a certain skitzo black man wtih a keyboard

this show was amazing. I still have my autographed CDs. I think the best shows at Mary's were the ones with 20 people showing up in the middle of the afternoon, all going home before it even gets dark.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat May 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Yeah, that show was pretty sweet...and the daylight shows were cool (at that time).

I guess Wesley Willis got stabbed at the bus station in Des Moines, I don't know if it was at that show or what though.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Sat May 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Wesley Willis played at Mary's? Ridiculous.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun May 18, 2008 12:54 am

Walking Thunder wrote:
It was the summer of 97, I booked it and it was when it was still Safari.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun May 18, 2008 12:55 am

Walking Thunder wrote:

DaVo

Walking Thunder wrote:

DaVo

Walking Thunder wrote:

bluerampage

Post by bluerampage » Sun May 18, 2008 12:58 am

i think after four times we get it dude

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Sun May 18, 2008 7:55 pm

DaVo wrote: Answer me this, If I'm still discovering music that I haven't heard in a set gerne that I been listening to for over 20 years, why look else where.
well... cuz you were complaining of NOT discovering new or interesing music. remember? i'm not saying that there aren't good songwriters in the genres you listen to, but after you listen to those genres for long enough, you realize most of them are the same. once you realize this, it's not a bad idea to branch out to the genres that you hadn't really listened to before.
DaVo wrote: Jazz especially BeBop is anything but narrow or uncomplicated. Oh and it's a hell of a lot more interesting then progressive jack music or whinny indy rock.

i didn't include jazz or bebop in my dare. also... there's plenty of shitty jazz and bebop that is WAY less interesting than good "progressive jack music or whinny indy rock"
DaVo wrote: A lot of this all comes down to taste. It takes something special to shake me out of what attracts me to a band. They have to click with me and usually it's something that flash in the corner of my eye. It demands attention and not something I'm looking for.
yes. it comes down to taste. obviously. it is MUSIC that we're talking about. you don't have to leave your bubble. if you're happy with the limited amount of music you let yourself listen to, that's fine. it doesn't bother me at all. just don't complain about the state of new music when you're not willing to listen to it.
DaVo wrote: The point I was trying to make with the internet is that a lot of the out there, never heard before or seeing anythng like that came out of small scenes that no one even knew existed. With the internet these small scenes have become the focus. It's like the scene has a 100 suburbs full of cherleaders unwilling to test or challenge anyone and the downtown is dead. I understand that shit always floats on the top but the vew seems completely blocked at this point.
you need to adapt or die off. that's the music industry for you. if it's in a state right now that is too difficult for you to participate in, fine, but stop complaining about it.

also... you should reread your posts before submitting them. sometimes it seems like you're an e.s.l. student.

jesse p

Post by jesse p » Sun May 18, 2008 9:23 pm

The Mews is cool. It's better than 95% of bar venues out there these days. Everyone is pretty relaxed there, decent sound, you don't have to worry about bullshit bouncers, and that alley is a cool place to just hang out between bands. I only went to Hairy Marys once, but it sucked. The Mews is a lot cooler.

and for the jaded old fucks...

Grumpy old man - all I hear you say
Is how much better things were back in the day
Maybe things were so great back then
Because kids didn't always say, 'Remember when...'

We get the point
It only gets worse when you don't even care
We get the point
The past is the past
What needs us now is right here

You say the old days and now, they just don't compare
You know complaining never got anyone anywhere
Quit living in the past when there's a future ahead
Instead of whining how about some optimism instead

I know everything at one time was better
It doesn't mean you have mope around jaded and bitter
What's here is here and it's all that's left
We can't just shake our heads we have to do what's best

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Sun May 18, 2008 10:45 pm

as we have been travelling a lot lately doing a lot of shows... I think des moines needs to realize how lucky they are for having the multiple quality venues that we do. I have played in so many shitty bars lately standing on a chair in the corner. But in these cities these places are considered "THE" venues for live music.

Who cares if mary's was better... it is gone... and nothing is to be gained by losing another.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun May 18, 2008 11:58 pm

storkus wrote:
DaVo wrote: I'm sorry, but I do not see the Mews as a venue that started anyting.
DaVo wrote: Answer me this, If I'm still discovering music that I haven't heard in a set gerne that I been listening to for over 20 years, why look else where.
HEY YOU DUMB, OLD, FUCK-UP: YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE.

You're not interested in a venue that would "start anything", whatever that means. You listen to your old shit, just like your parents listened to Lawrence Welk. It's just as boring, and you're just as out of touch today as they were then. You wouldn't have the capacity to recognize something "new and exciting" in this day and age, so you have no basis for even discussing such a thing.

It's also worth noting that, at one point in this thread, you said "Let's see where you are at 39", and I'd like to assure you that if where I'm at then resembles where you're at now, I'm going to blow my brains out, because you're such a sad fucking sack.
Nope not the case. I come in contact with a number of shitty "new" bands. When did I say I wanted to start anything new or being involved a new venue. That would be a step backward at this point in my life. Maybe fun, interesting for a while but it's something I've already done. It's someone else's turn to do that. I believe that I was pointing out the fact there doesn't seem to be anything new or at least I have yet to come across it. You may think I live in a hole but the truth is that even if I wanted to, I couldn't stay out of touch of the music scene. I have too many friends still heavily involve in it.

The fact is that music in general is in a holding pattern. This is nothing new of worth and it is not just Des Moines. Are you telling me that Metal bands passing as Hardocre, Deep Purple stoner rock bands, Indy rock bands playing tired old pop songs about ex-girlfriends and Noise bands trying to sound like Sonic Youth is the cutting edge? Is that the best we can do?

As far as being where I am right now. You have no idea what my personal life is like. Or for that matter know me on any personal level. I'm a guy that seems so old, that posts on a BB and has been involved in the scene here for a long time. This is a small part of my life, it's a way to kill time between the real life. If you are so one dimensional that you think different, maybe you are the one that should be sucking off a handgun. I love my life unlike most of the people I know my age. Hell I've been on summer vacation for over 20 years.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon May 19, 2008 10:12 am

how do you use that block user post feature?

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 am

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed May 28, 2008 1:39 pm

joseph wrote:@s favorite source

http://dmcityview.com/scenescribe.shtml
That's interesting for a number of reasons.

First off I had heard that since Chris is sick, the Coppolas were selling everything off.

Second wasn't Jason Walsmith suppost to open another Flying Mango down there as a live venue?

The fact is that moving west maybe the right choice, there's a big push to create an entertainment area around the "Art Park". With Lucky's gone and Blues on Grand future is unknown and might be a good idea. Jethro needs a place to hang out and be crazy as a pet Racconn, rah, rah, yeah, yeah, mah, mah, nah.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed May 28, 2008 1:55 pm

i'd be cool with them moving, as long as they'd continue to allow 2nd rate acts such as myself continue to rock out.
Otherwise, i guess i'll try to buy a microphone or two.

Here's an idea, they should put a sports bar on the third floor called "Paladin's", a fake punk place on the middle floor called "Fibbers Guild",
and just leave the Mews. It could work.

carbon

Post by carbon » Fri May 30, 2008 11:24 am

I haven't read all FOUR pages of this post so just let me know if this has been said. (im lazy and dont like reading)

If the Mews is really closing we need to get ladd to plan a huge all day 515 fest like they did at the fallout shelter that one time. We could get all sorts of genres and have a fuckin awesome rockin day. Sell tix for like 10 bucks, get food and shit on the patio, if the mile would be apart of it too. It could be a sweet way to end the only venue i care about now. i would even be willing to do another DWS set to send it off!!!! KENNY+Enema+again= i promise i wont allow that to happen again.
eat me.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri May 30, 2008 3:27 pm

DaVo wrote:Are you telling me that Metal bands passing as Hardocre
That's me, but spelled correctly.

-Joe.

jason

Post by jason » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 am

post details please

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:46 pm

so uh.. is this gonna be every year or?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02 pm

joseph wrote:so uh.. is this gonna be every year or?
I heard this 6 months ago. That and Peeples is on it's last leg too.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:03 am

i heard lease is thru oct 09?

crow

Post by crow » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 am

joseph wrote:i heard lease is thru oct 09?

considering the housing market / economy, i don't see it being in the building owner's best interest to try and convert that to condos or whatever. not to mention that in doing so you'd be getting rid of probably the only reason it'd be nice to live down there anyways.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:15 am

i do NOT want it to close

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:57 pm

joseph wrote:i do NOT want to wear clothes
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others