El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Making The Vandon Arms Look Good.

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 am

At least they're not quite these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4xEofIRbFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KngToJM6 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaelP2LV ... re=related

...and I could go on. Those are all Dropkick Murphys songs. "Bottles of Sorrow" is a Street Dogs song. Hilarious. The lead singer sounds like John Popper going through puberty.

An Oasis cover for good measure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItW4Q2w83_A

Clint

Re: Making The Vandon Arms Look Good.

Post by Clint » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:01 am

Tampa Josh
Keepin it Real, Hatin Herb

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 am

Tampa's Dropkick wanna be band:

http://www.myspace.com/thescurvy

sick pit at one of their shows.
Thom wrote: At least assholes like tampa josh know they hate people.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 am

I like the "Tampa Bay Hardcore" shirt with the brass knuckles. They're not fooling anyone.

"Working Class" Man, I hate that term when Americans use it.

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:04 am

El Rhino wrote:I like the "Tampa Bay Hardcore" shirt with the brass knuckles. They're not fooling anyone.
Yeah, they aren't even a hardcore band, odd.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:09 am

They also claim to be "hardcore hooligans". That band is terrible. If I saw them live I would throw shit at them.

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:14 am

El Rhino wrote:They also claim to be "hardcore hooligans". That band is terrible. If I saw them live I would throw shit at them.
That dude, Brandon, in the band got knocked up side the head by this chick a few weeks ago. He then ran to the nearest cop he could find in Ybor to snitch.

In other news, I'm sure Matt would be stoked to see this sweet tatty that says "Dropkick Murphys" but just has a skull with a gold tooth. WTF does that have to do with DKM.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:21 am

Tampa Josh wrote: That dude, Brandon, in the band got knocked up side the head by this chick a few weeks ago. He then ran to the nearest cop he could find in Ybor to snitch.

In other news, I'm sure Matt would be stoked to see this sweet tatty that says "Dropkick Murphys" but just has a skull with a gold tooth. WTF does that have to do with DKM.

That's some hardcore hooligan oi oi boys on the docks move there, getting "Old Bill" when a girl hits you.

It's funny to listen to Matt talk about that subject. When we went to go see them in KC, there was an official after party at some bar but we went to a different bar with Lumpy and Matt, away from all the idiots. He was talking about how he appreciates their support, but he's always glad to get away from the "green shirt crowd".

I like DKM. When "Do Or Die" came out, I was all about it as was everyone else around here. I've stuck with them, but they're getting hard to stomach. It's not me, it's them. I only listened to their latest album once or twice. Anyways, going to see that band these days will make you lose faith in humanity. Big suspenders, Guinness shirts and scally caps everywhere.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:26 am

btw, that's one of the lamest band tattoos I've ever seen.

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:28 am

We went to the DKM show in St. Pete to wrap up ISD Memorial Weekend last September, 24th. The crowd was full of frat boys, skinhead dorks, and the Red Sox were playing the Devil Rays so members of that team were there.

While waiting for Matt to get done we watched a bum fight, then I slapped some SHARP around and tried to take his patch, but it was sewed on to well. Anyways we went to the after party at this bar down the street, but instead of going into the private room with the Red Sox and the rest of the band he just hung out with us talking shit.

A+ duder

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 am

Matt's definitely a top-notch dude.

Man, the douche factor at that KC show was high. It would be cool if they played a few "secret shows" here and there so you don't have to put up with fat kids in green shirts wanting to hear songs about rats drowning in a keg of Guinness.

That Scurvy band, they seem like the type of guys who like to dress up like skinheads but as soon as someone tries to call them out they'll completely cave and talk about how they're SHARP or something like that.

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:49 am

Scurvy dudes are pretty much as lame as their music, if not lamer. They tried to stand up to us once, but it didn't work out too well for them. Now whenever we run into them they just put their heads down and look at the ground.

I was going to go to Boston on St Paddy's Day weekend, but I am going to go see the Midtown Bootboys and some secret European band as well as Joe's band Blood in the Face. I might even take part in a hammer lifting contest hahaha.

Just will have to find something to do to occupy my time while those lame speakers are preaching about hating niggers and kikes.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:59 am

Tampa Josh wrote: I was going to go to Boston on St Paddy's Day weekend, but I am going to go see the Midtown Bootboys and some secret European band as well as Joe's band Blood in the Face. I might even take part in a hammer lifting contest hahaha.

]

Haha, I saw the flyer for that. I really wonder what the prize is for the hammer lifting contest? A free set of tires from Bill Riccio's shop, perhaps?

I'd definitely take part in the hammer lifting contest, but I'm sure there's going to be some big dudes there. I remember reading about one Hammerfest where they had the "World's Strongest Skinhead" competition where it was who could bench press 225lbs the most times. I'd just like to see some of the shit that happens at something like this. I wish they'd put it on Youtube or something.

I wonder who that European band is? I believe Celtic Warrior, Brutal Attack and No Remorse have all played here before, so I think that rules them out. That would be sweet if it were Landser. Do you have your ear to the ground on the rumor mill for this one?

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:04 am

All I know is it is a B&H band. That is all I could get out of people. BA, CW, Avalon have all played the US. I am so hoping for Legion of St George. But my money is on Section 88.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:05 am

Tampa Josh wrote:band as well as Joe's band Blood in the Face. ]
Is that Joe of Hated and Proud?

I remember that book "Blood in the Face". During my freshman year of high school they took that book out of the library because we tried to make copies of some of the flyers from it.

Honestly, MTBB don't do much for me. I haven't heard any of the other bands.

I haven't heard Section 88 either. LOSG is pretty cool though.

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:13 am

Yeah same Joe

I like the MTBB first record, that 2nd one they made 15 years later is horrible, except for the song "Coon Hunt" which i find humorous.

Section 88 is pretty run of the mill. They do have one song about muslim immigrants that has a line in it that I like "A bullet to the head will make you understand, we don't want Muslims in our land"

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:21 am

Joe seems like a pretty good dude.

I'll try to download some Section 88 or something. Honestly, I don't like the "kill all the muds" type of lyrics.

Anyways, I'm getting tired so I'm off to bed.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:24 am

Tampa Josh wrote:

Oh snap, I didn't even notice the sweet ying-yang chain wallet

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:49 pm

midtown boot boys are a +. if i was closer and i knew they'd play from that 1st album, i'd go.

that flyer is terrible looking by the way. the white race needs some better artists.

Skills Bushy

Post by Skills Bushy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:00 pm

uber gay.

bt...sweet donkey punch sig line, yo.
make bears

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Yeah so 9/10ths of this whole thread should've been done through PM.

-Joe.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:28 pm

lol@ the spinning cloverleaf

also was that a high school talent show?
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Kelehan = Vandon Arms

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:00 am

Bullet Tooth wrote:. the white race needs some better artists.

No shit. We brought the world Rembrant, Van Gogh, Michaelangelo, Picasso, Matisse and a bunch of others, but can't get a good show flyer. I guess we blew our wad on the Sistene Chapel and "Starry Night" or something.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Clint wrote:These guys are pretty sweet too...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =185340675
What the hell is that suppost to be?
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:03 pm

El Rhino wrote:
Tampa Josh wrote: That dude, Brandon, in the band got knocked up side the head by this chick a few weeks ago. He then ran to the nearest cop he could find in Ybor to snitch.

That's some hardcore hooligan oi oi boys on the docks move there, getting "Old Bill" when a girl hits you.

It's funny to listen to Matt talk about that subject. When we went to go see them in KC, there was an official after party at some bar but we went to a different bar with Lumpy and Matt, away from all the idiots. He was talking about how he appreciates their support, but he's always glad to get away from the "green shirt crowd".

I like DKM. When "Do Or Die" came out, I was all about it as was everyone else around here. I've stuck with them, but they're getting hard to stomach. It's not me, it's them. I only listened to their latest album once or twice. Anyways, going to see that band these days will make you lose faith in humanity. Big suspenders, Guinness shirts and scally caps everywhere.
I was so hooked on the them when I got that first EP Boys on the Dock in the mail and then booked them with the US Bombs. I bought everything they had at that show. Then I heard they broke up. I remember being bummed but then when I booked on the Do or Die tour, I kind wished they would have stayed broke up.

It seems like everytime they put out a new record, I find myself standing in the record store, trying to decide if I really want to waste $15 on the off chance that it will have just a little feel of the old stuff. It's kind of like running into an ex girlfriend and her being ready to go but there is that voice in the back of your head yelling, "Mistake!!!!!!!!!"

Thing on the Irish green shirt and kilt wearing fuck heads. They seemed to have marketed the shit out of Irish the longer they were around. They started out as a Stiff Little Fingers band and then found something that sold records and went with it. So they have no one to blame but themselves. I never really thought of them as an Irish band. To me they were always a Boston band and the Green shirts are getting to the point where I don't even want to see Flogging Molly anymore.

The biggest question is, Has the Irish Punk thing became the new Ska? Something that every band geek can latch on to?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:04 pm

El Rhino wrote:

I was so hooked on the them when I got that first EP Boys on the Dock in the mail and then booked them with the US Bombs. I bought everything they had at that show. Then I heard they broke up. I remember being bummed but then when I booked on the Do or Die tour, I kind wished they would have stayed broke up.

It seems like everytime they put out a new record, I find myself standing in the record store, trying to decide if I really want to waste $15 on the off chance that it will have just a little feel of the old stuff. It's kind of like running into an ex girlfriend and her being ready to go but there is that voice in the back of your head yelling, "Mistake!!!!!!!!!"

Thing on the Irish green shirt and kilt wearing fuck heads. They seemed to have marketed the shit out of Irish the longer they were around. They started out as a Stiff Little Fingers band and then found something that sold records and went with it. So they have no one to blame but themselves. I never really thought of them as an Irish band. To me they were always a Boston band and the Green shirts are getting to the point where I don't even want to see Flogging Molly anymore.

The biggest question is, Has the Irish Punk thing became the new Ska? Something that every band geek can latch on to?

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:07 pm

DaVo wrote: The biggest question is, Has the Irish Punk thing became the new Ska? Something that every band geek can latch on to?

I think you hit the potato in the pot. :wink:

Clint

Post by Clint » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:08 pm

DaVo wrote:
Clint wrote:These guys are pretty sweet too...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =185340675
What the hell is that suppost to be?

Exactly...

We ran into these guys in Omaha at a show. Nice dudes but terrible band... I am still trying to figure out if they are being serious or not.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 pm

I've got that EP too, I wonder if it's worth anything? I had several DKM 7"s as well, but they got stolen out of my house along with virtually every other record of a band who's name might be slightly familiar several years ago.

I'm glad DKM stuck around, but I think they've run their course as far as punk goes. Some of the Irish punk music is ok, but dressing up like you're in "Newsies" is pretty gay.