More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Beaver

Mews closing in September?

Post by Beaver » Wed May 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Heard this f/ a number of people. Something to do with condos and lease being up. Thought Id be the dick and post it. I will say it will be ghey to see that place go. If it does, someone needs to man up and open a new venue/bar downtown. HOB eats old lady pussy.

crow

Re: Mews closing in September?

Post by crow » Wed May 14, 2008 4:32 pm

hopefully just a rumor / doesn't happen. one of the only redeemable things in des moines.
Last edited by crow on Wed May 14, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 14, 2008 4:35 pm

it does have a value with the alley right there. buck you beaver for making me wonder

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed May 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Play with my balls and ass.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed May 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Beaver wrote:If it does, someone needs to man up and open a new venue/bar downtown. .

1, 2, 3.... NOT IT!!!!!

Victory is Mine

Post by Victory is Mine » Wed May 14, 2008 9:15 pm

What the fuck is going on with that street?
Oh dear

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:09 am

the mews and the '4th street italian beef' are the best places on that street. who exactly do you need to write to?
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu May 15, 2008 1:19 am

Yeah, I need to write some shit quick.

-Joe.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 am

Easy come, easy go. Never really cared for the Mews or the theme bars of 4th st.

I saw this coming a long time ago. Since the family started selling off 4th st, it was bound to happen. Also I can't remember one show down there have a big turn out. Granted I'm very sellective about the shows I've seen there but it always seemed dead. The place has been struggling for a year or so plus with the smoking ban they are losing some selling points. I really didn't see it closing but figured there would be a theme change.

On a side note the Dublin is starting to have shows. Can Des Moines live music get any lamer?
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu May 15, 2008 4:53 am

Also I can't remember one show down there have a big turn out.
That's funny.
I've seen tons of shows with large crowds there.
You must've been drinking at Dubay's or some shit.
The place has been struggling for a year or so plus with the smoking ban they are losing some selling points.
It's always been smoke free.
On a side note the Dublin is starting to have shows. Can Des Moines live music get any lamer?
You are really, really out of the loop. There's tons of awesome shows going on in Des Moines... I mean, we all don't wait around twiddling our thumbs for the big show you book twice a year (hoping it doesn't fall through yet again). Time for you to retire to Florida or some other old man state.

-Joe.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 6:27 am

Joe wrote:
Also I can't remember one show down there have a big turn out.
That's funny.
I've seen tons of shows with large crowds there.
You must've been drinking at Dubay's or some shit.
The place has been struggling for a year or so plus with the smoking ban they are losing some selling points.
It's always been smoke free.
You are really, really out of the loop. There's tons of awesome shows going on in Des Moines... I mean, we all don't wait around twiddling our thumbs for the big show you book twice a year (hoping it doesn't fall through yet again). Time for you to retire to Florida or some other old man state.

-Joe.

I don't think that I said Mews being smoke free is a new thing. The point I was making was that it isn't going to be much of a selling point when the whole state is smoke free.

When I say turn out, I mean over 100 people. When or better yet did the Mews ever have a show that sold out? When is the last time that happened? For that matter when was it that a local band had a word of mouth draw of 200 people? Live music is dying and has been for a while.

I'm not really out of the Loop, I happen to be really busy. Between spending time with my son and working 70 to 80 hours a week there isn't really enough time to spend a couple of hours in a basement listening to another shitty band that sounds like 4000 other bands while the shirtless sausage party rubs up against each other. Doesn't sound like a good time to me. That may make me old but fuck it, I am but we'll see where you are at 39. When you have hair above your dick, have been going to shows for almost 25 yeats and have done a show that doesn't involve paying a band gas money, we'll talk. I've paid my dues bitch, so leave me alone. I do what I can and when I can and by the way most of the bands you book aren't my thing. I'm at a point in my life where I can be sellective and only see bands I in fact want to see. The idea of sitting through another shitty band that sounds like a band from 20 years ago on a bad night sounds and is painful.

Hmmmm, maybe I retired from promoting shows a long time ago and these bands keep contacting me to do shows. It's more about having fun then trying to do them on a regular bases. I did that for a long time and really don't have any interest in it. I'm sorry you are too young to have gone to most of those shows but now you have a basement to do shows that a lot of people don't give a flying fuck about. Hope it lasts and enjoy it while you can cause at some point it will either have to be a business or end. Then at some point you have the pleasure of dealing with someone like you. Think about it, I'm old and you are doing the shit I was doing when I was your age. The only main difference is I was doing it when it was new. Can you say Retro? Hate to tell you but this shits been done and often done a shit load better.

Bottom line, I'll miss the three shows a year that I'm willing to drag my tired old bones to but Mews closing will have little or no effect on my life. It sucks that there will be one less venue in town. I have to admit that I'd be happier if it was House of Bingo.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 am

storkus wrote:I. I would almost go as far as to say the Mews / Lift / Mile bars are the single most important reason for the growth downtown.

... And this guy wants to cash in on it by kicking them out and building condos. Sickening.

I'd agree. Kind of funny how they talk about building worthwhile, interesting entertainment areas "just like the big city" and brag about how many people are living downtown these days, but the places that actually give the area character are going under. Without these kinds of places, there aren't many upsides to living downtown except being able to take the skywalks to Burger King...but only before 4PM. Kind of a catch-22 with closing these places down to build more condos.

Who the fuck is actually buying these condos, anyway? It seems like there's way more out there and being built than the actual demand.

Vaudeville Mews wasn't/isn't my favorite venue (well I guess it is now by default), but I definitely wouldn't want to see it go under. People on here have said things about Hairy Mary's like they didn't feel like they belong there, didn't like the atmosphere or that it was too narrow as far as genres represented and I pretty much feel the same way about VM. I do like the place though and wish it success for the sake of the live music scene in Des Moines and yes, even my own personal enjoyment here and there.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Thu May 15, 2008 8:39 am

DaVo wrote:When I say turn out, I mean over 100 people. When or better yet did the Mews ever have a show that sold out? When is the last time that happened?
We have had multiple very successful hip hop shows. And, one of the best was actually our CD release show in March which was over 200 people. I agree that this should probably happen at least once a week, or every other for a truly successful venue.

No one is really buying the condos downtown. I think that last I had heard they were only about 10% full or something like that.

It would be incredibly bad for the local music scene if places to perform attend shows, dropped to basement parties and the house of bricks. There simply needs to be more variety.

All this BS "urban" development is still just pissing me off.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 am

writing cityview right now...

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 am

Joe wrote:
You are really, really out of the loop.
-Joe.
definitely. and im sure the mews misses you

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 15, 2008 9:55 am

El Rhino wrote:
Who the fuck is actually buying these condos, anyway? It seems like there's way more out there and being built than the actual demand.
Exactly my point in my letter to Cityview. If you ever go into one of those condo buildings, half of the freakin apartments are empty! they are cheaply built, hollow walled pieces of crap.

{edit: No offense to those that live in them, you just wanted to live close to 4th street, and the Surf Shack}

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Thu May 15, 2008 10:27 am

There are nice condos downtown.. but the people who actually would want to live in them, would never be able to afford them. They are being built and marketed to the entirely wrong demographic.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 15, 2008 12:08 pm

i'm sure the equitable building will be nice, but will i be filled? I don't see it happening, unless there's a shitload of rich people coming straight out of college or people that want a condo downtown and a house in Waukee.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Thu May 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Hank Fist wrote:i'm sure the equitable building will be nice, but will i be filled? I don't see it happening, unless there's a shitload of rich people coming straight out of college or people that want a condo downtown and a house in Waukee.
Except the project might not even be finished because of the asbestos problems. Word is the Knapp might be facing some jail time, or at least some serious fines. I know that they have actually sold a few of them already though.

There are a few condos downtown that I like.. but I won't pay 200k for 700 sqft... not in DM.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu May 15, 2008 12:31 pm

id pay 12k

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 12:35 pm

OH I almost forgot, I heard the lovely people that brought you the Lair's Club are planning on opening a venue in the East Village. So that will give you a basement, the Dublin, House of Bricks and the Mob's joint.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 pm

always so helpful

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I think the Comdo craze is more about turning a quick profit then anything. Most of the building that are being developed are either low income apartment buildings, low profit or unrentable office and warehouse space. It's easier to sell off as comdos and make a quick buck then make them profitable.

Who knows who they are targeting. The Plaza sat half empty for years and that building is over 25 years old. I think the main target is the upper income at the corps downtown and with the rising gas price a number of people want to live closer to work. Most are 25 to 35 with no kids and are sold on the idea that it is an investment.

Des Moines is famous for one business coming up with a good idea and the rest of the boom town coming in and trying to cash in on the idea. Don't worry it will go belly up at some point and they will all hang out their for lease signs.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 pm

aeon grey wrote:
Hank Fist wrote:i'm sure the equitable building will be nice, but will i be filled? I don't see it happening, unless there's a shitload of rich people coming straight out of college or people that want a condo downtown and a house in Waukee.
Except the project might not even be finished because of the asbestos problems. Word is the Knapp might be facing some jail time, or at least some serious fines. I know that they have actually sold a few of them already though.

There are a few condos downtown that I like.. but I won't pay 200k for 700 sqft... not in DM.
Knapp in Jail? I'd pay to see that. That asshole has had his dirty fingers in every backroom deal in this city for the past 30 years. While they have him on the stand, make him explain the whole Ankeny exit and the profit he made off the new IDOT location. What an asshole.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Thu May 15, 2008 1:04 pm

DaVo wrote:OH I almost forgot, I heard the lovely people that brought you the Lair's Club are planning on opening a venue in the East Village. So that will give you a basement, the Dublin, House of Bricks and the Mob's joint.

i have heard that this is going to be a lounge... not a venue... It is supposed to open the weekend of july 4th.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Thu May 15, 2008 1:54 pm

Lots of hawt puss hang at those places, unfortunatley so does the huge bro-dude population of DSM. MOOKAGE.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Thu May 15, 2008 2:35 pm

i finally went inside liars club a couple weeks ago. that place is SOOOO gross. it made me really hate people for a while.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 15, 2008 2:37 pm

aeon grey wrote:

no shit, buy a house for half that, double the space, a yard, and not being able to hear the neighbors most of the time.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Beaver wrote:Lots of hawt puss hang at those places, unfortunatley so does the huge bro-dude population of DSM. MOOKAGE.
I don't know who you are, but i'd just like to point out that is a classic beaver statement.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu May 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Smoking Guns wrote:i finally went inside liars club a couple weeks ago. that place is SOOOO gross. it made me really hate people for a while.
i went in the to piss once. they werent open yet and i got the same opinion as you... gross.