More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

moltar

Movies thread

Post by moltar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Post movies you've recently checked out and what you thought.

Pirate Radio - Hated this movie. Hot girls, good music, but everything else is for the birds. Outside of the dimwitted characters, you basically watch the movie cut to people listening to the radio over and over for 90 minutes.

In the Mouth of Madness - Everything I want from a horror flick.

Coraline - Wicked stop motion animation. Great story and characters, but I'm a pretty big Neil Gaiman fan.

inx515xhell

Re: Movies thread

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:01 pm

philadelphia - HILARIOUS!

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Orphan-Saw a preview for this and thought it would be decent, about an hour and 20 minutes into it the movie takes a REALLy bad turn then it picks up, but if you want a good laugh watch it!

Rivers' Edge-LOVE this movie, hadn't seen it in a while so I downloaded it. Crispin Glover and Keanu Reeves are to funny, SEE THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T!

Zombieland-Thought this would be stupid but it was actually really funny and yes Bill Murray rules in it!

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:37 pm

dude where did you dl river's edge? i've never seen the whole movie and it is unavailable on netflix.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:57 pm

Paranormal Activity - I liked it. There were a couple of parts that got lame but overall not too bad. Although I know its one of those movies I would probably never watch a second time.

Year One - I really really really wanted to like this movie more than I did. Michael Cera AND David Cross!!! It always seemed like it was building up to something and then the credits roll and I felt like it shouldn't have ended yet.

Currently downloading District 9.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:22 am

rivers edge is awesome! thanks for uping it...
where the wild things are-good, alot darker than i expected

changeling-dug it, angelina jolie does her job...good story line, a few good twists, keeps you interested

choke- good- book was wayyyy better...chuck palanuik(sp) book turned movie. if i had just seen the movie without reading the book, i would call it a good low budget movie. he has a few more coming out as well

i know there are plenty more, but i cannot think of them at this time.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:41 am

BILL MUTHA FUCKIN' MURRAY!!!

JillJillJill

Post by JillJillJill » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:16 am

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex... awesome movie about the red army faction in germany

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 am

KY Jelly Belly wrote:Rivers' Edge-LOVE this movie, hadn't seen it in a while so I downloaded it. Crispin Glover and Keanu Reeves are to funny, SEE THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T
I didn't know this existed until Dan and Adam brought this over last week. Hysterical!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am

Over the past couple of days:

Slumdog Millionaire. I heard this was good but the description made it sound shitty so I was skeptical. Turns out it was a really good movie. Definitely better than the last Bollywood movie I tried to stomach. I wanted to send a check to Pakistan's nuclear program after seeing that one, I forgot what it was called.

Faust - the 1920's German silent film about Satan and stuff. Very sweet. I kind of like old silent films.

Alexander - I just watched the first disc last night, plan on watching the second tonight. So far it's a sympathetic take on a character who is usually made out to be a tyrant in the history books. His downfall is coming so I don't know if it will remain as sympathetic towards him. It's pretty decent, definitely interesting material. Some of the music seems a little off and a lot of the Persians look like regular white guys with eyeliner though.

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:12 pm

River's edge is one of my favorite flicks.

Recently watched Buffalo 66 - great movie about I don't know what, just watch it.

Primer - This movie blew my mind. So much fun to watch, I don't think I've watched a movie that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time in a while. It's about time travel. Specifically two guys who invent it in their garage. It's not funny, or action packed, its just fucking good. I can't believe I didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago.

G.I. Joe - I wanted to barf the whole time. The only reason I kept watching was because I wanted to see cobra commander. Eric told me that I had already seen him like 4 times, so I left.

creepykid

Post by creepykid » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:20 pm

4th Kind - The idea of this movie is one of my biggest fears. But it's not that scary. The sheriff really ruined the movie for me. And the "archival footage" was cool but too fake looking. I'd give it a B+

Drag Me to Hell - This movie is AWESOME! It's got some good spooky scenes with the comedic twist in tradition with Army of Darkness and Bubba Hotep. Really recommend. A

Hot Rod - This movie is balls to the wall funny. It's like Napoleon Dynamite with "adult themed" humor. Danny McBride rules in this. A+

Movies I want to see:

Clash of the Titans (remake)
Book of Eli (Fallout 3)

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:52 pm

I am sick with the flu, so I have done nothing but watch movies and sleep for the past 2 1/2 days.

Predator - Sweet. Arnold Schwarzenegger is fucking awesome. Probably one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time.

Predator 2 - Not as awesome as the first one, but still worth watching.

Quarantine - This didn't wow me, but I thought it was worth a watch. I feel like the problem with some "scary" movies is they just repeat the same things that make them scary. The same thing happened with Paranormal Activity. Still though, this one had a lot of action.

Seven Pounds - Not nearly as good as I was expecting it to be. I found myself at a complete loss until the last 5 minutes of this movie and it wasn't really that interesting. I'm bummed that I didn't like this because Will Smith is great.

Yes Man - I went into this not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Sure, there's some of that dumb "Jim Carrey Comedy," but the plot and acting were pretty good. Plus, Third Eye Blind cover.

The Fifth Element - I'm not sure if this movie is supposed to be funny, but I thought it was fucking hilarious. If you haven't seen this movie, I totally recommend it.

Charlie Bartlett - Excellent movie. Not really sure what else to say, but worth checking out.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 pm

creepykid wrote:Hot Rod - This movie is balls to the wall funny. It's like Napoleon Dynamite with "adult themed" humor. Danny McBride rules in this. A+
Easily one of the most underrated comedies ever! SOOOO funny!

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Thom wrote:Primer - This movie blew my mind. So much fun to watch, I don't think I've watched a movie that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time in a while. It's about time travel. Specifically two guys who invent it in their garage. It's not funny, or action packed, its just fucking good. I can't believe I didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago.
I hit Servo with this awhile back. I've been meaning to watch it again. Their plot and travel layering is so thick towards the end, I know I missed quite a bit.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm

500 Days of Summer - This was really good, I especially liked the scene when it showed his expectations vs reality at the same time.

Public Enemies - Wasn't as good as I was hoping, a friend told me that it was historically correct when a lot of it wasn't. Bum out.

Double Impact - Jean-Claude Van Damme and boobs.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Andy State

Post by Andy State » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Shane wrote:Will Smith is great
all that needs to be said.
I've got that PMA

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 pm

drag me to hell was absolutely terrible. dont listen to cecil, no funny parts and absolutely nothing like army of darkness or bubba hotep.

shane is right, predator is the greatest. although jesse "the body" ventura should have gotten a mention in his post.

g.i. joe: sucked.

star trek: expected this to suck and thought it was actually all right.

the ugly truth: chick flick. i liked it anyway.

the taking of pelham 123: i liked this though john travolta kind of sucked in it and it could have been a lot better i thought.

ice age 3: meh

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:drag me to hell was absolutely terrible. dont listen to cecil, no funny parts and absolutely nothing like army of darkness or bubba hotep.

shane is right, predator is the greatest. although jesse "the body" ventura should have gotten a mention in his post.

g.i. joe: sucked.

star trek: expected this to suck and thought it was actually all right.

the ugly truth: chick flick. i liked it anyway.

the taking of pelham 123: i liked this though john travolta kind of sucked in it and it could have been a lot better i thought.

ice age 3: meh

"This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me."
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:50 pm

I watched primer twice in a row because it gets so thick (plus I was working an overnight and had nothing better to do). It started making sense the second time. Fucking one of my favorite movies ever.

I liked star trek, but I fucking hated it at the same time.

I also watched 'couples retreat' because of work, and it was aiiiiiiight for a 'date movie' kind of thing. Didn't really feel better as a person for watching it.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:43 pm

creepykid

Post by creepykid » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:drag me to hell was absolutely terrible. dont listen to cecil, no funny parts and absolutely nothing like army of darkness or bubba hotep.
did you actually watch the same movie? i don't know about you but eyes busting out of old ladies heads and vomitting of maggots in your face are pretty rediculous just like army of darkness and evil Ash, or the necronomicon, or his boom stick.... whatever it was a good movie.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:52 pm

creepykid wrote:
did you actually watch the same movie? i don't know about you but eyes busting out of old ladies heads and vomitting of maggots in your face are pretty rediculous just like army of darkness and evil Ash, or the necronomicon, or his boom stick.... whatever it was a good movie.
yes and neither had even close to the comedic quality that those movies had. FAIL.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Red Dragon - good movie adaption, good part of the Hannibal series.

The Last Detail - 70's Jack Nicholson movie where he plays a turdy navyman. It was ok.

Crispin

Post by Crispin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Mortal Kombat- I loved this movie as a kid but this movie did not stand the test of time. Still kinda funny though

Zombieland- One of the better movies I have seen in a long time. Check it out if you have not seen it yet!

The Hangover- Another great movie that I would recommend you see!

Paranormal Activity- Avoid this movie like the H1N1!!!!

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 pm

jonnyROCKET wrote:
The Last Detail - 70's Jack Nicholson movie where he plays a turdy navyman. It was ok.
isnt randy quaid in it? i liked it.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 pm

WHITE CHICKS! no joke, best movie I've seen in years.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

oxblood

Post by oxblood » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 pm

I watched They Live last night.