More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Nick

Kick around ideas for a new DIY venue for Des Moines

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:11 pm

The DIY scene has been almost non-existent in Des Moines for the last few months. Let's honestly try and brainstorm for ideas here.

Something more organized than a house/basement though. I think this would be very hard to pull off in Des Moines though, as there really seems to be no sense of "community" in the DIY scene here. It would be awesome to see people come together to actually provide a real DIY space for local/touring bands and artists. Seems like instead, everyone likes to bicker on a messageboard.

I think the Ames Progressive has the right idea going and Des Moines could really benefit from a similar space...but one geared more for bands and artists.

And the Des Moines Social Club has the right idea too, but is trying to "market" itself as a non-profit community center for the citizens of the city to utilize for themselves...whether it is for art/gallery showings, music, theater, etc....yet they charge insane fees that pretty much nobody doing DIY shows or exhibits could afford to rent if they wanted to recoup their money invested.

I think the shining example of a WELL organized DIY punk/art space is the Charm City Art Space in Baltimore. Watch this short documentary about the place. Ideally...something like this could happen in Des Moines if we all worked together.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joseph

Re: Kick around ideas for a new DIY venue for Des Moines

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

honestly i dont think anyone cares enough to be responsible for it and pay for it. if youve havent noticed people in des moines dont really get along for all that long. BUT- id go if somebody did.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Has anyone ever talked with the people that run Art 316 off 5th St. downtown? It's sort of over by the Sec Taylor Stadium area.

I've always seen the place and thought it would make a great space for a DIY venue, but have never been inside. It seems the people rent out "studio" space, but it also seems more for Visual arts and not for music.

I was thinking about e-mailing them and seeing if they'd consider hosting small DIY music shows at all...or if they even had the space to do so? And if so...what it might cost to "rent" a stuido space to host shows.

http://www.art316dsm.com/

Anybody know anyone down there at all?

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:36 pm

joseph wrote:honestly i dont think anyone cares enough to be responsible for it and pay for it. if youve havent noticed people in des moines dont really get along for all that long. BUT- id go if somebody did.
The biggest hurdle in operating a legit DIY space is finding dedicated and well-organized people who care enough to keep it going. And I think you are right, Joseph...that is something the people in the "DIY scene" in Des Moines don't really want to be responsible or have any care of doing, unfortunately.

Collectives/DIY/Community spaces are common in other cities, but that is because there is an actual "community" in those cities that want a space for themselves.

Milwaukee, for example, has a legit and awesome community/DIY spot called Borg Ward that is a zero profit center for hosting shows. It works and it rules, because people in the local scene work together to make it happen.

There are similar places in Chicago and Minneapolis too. I think Des Moines could have a viable space like this as well if some of us would just work together.

The Charm City Art Space in Baltimore, that I talked about earlier, covers all their lease/operating costs each month via shows and very minimal membership fees (which are optional). The promoter/booker of any particular shows pays $50 + a very small percentage of the money collected at the door. That money goes back to the venue and it covers costs. The rest goes to the bands/artists who play. If there is a show that does particularly well...then sometimes the promoter/booker gives a little more. It's been a successful DIY venue for the past 8 years now.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Nick wrote:
joseph wrote:honestly i dont think anyone cares enough to be responsible for it and pay for it. if youve havent noticed people in des moines dont really get along for all that long. BUT- id go if somebody did.
The biggest hurdle in operating a legit DIY space is finding dedicated and well-organized people who care enough to keep it going. And I think you are right, Joseph...that is something the people in the "DIY scene" in Des Moines don't really want to be responsible or have any care of doing, unfortunately.
not to be a dick but i know itll get brought up. youre not part of des moines scene YET.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 pm

joseph wrote:
Nick wrote:
not to be a dick but i know itll get brought up. youre not part of des moines scene.
Oh I know...and I fully realize this. I'm not trying to come off like I am part of the "scene" in Des Moines at all. I hope that people don't think that how I am coming off. I know I don't really participate as much as I'd like. I'm not in a band or whatever.....but I try and book a show here and there if I can.

But if it means anything, I'd like to participate anyway I can. If that means trying to help organize or find a space for shows, I'd totally be up try do whatever I could do to help. Or help books shows a few times a month, etc.

And I think what you said, "you aren't part of the des moines scene" is the type of attitude that will come from this thread. Because apparently, to be a part of the "scene" in Des Moines...you have to fit a certain criteria. Which is what I meant where there is no sense of "community" here. I didn't say that to be a dick either, just stating what seems to be true. People here don't seem to be really accepting of "new" people.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 pm

thats what i was saying. the only criteria i have for being in the scene is that youve attended at least 1 show, which youve done. i got no problems with anybody. heck even varg and jrs are part of it.
like i said if anybody wants to open a diy whatever, id go.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 pm

If you guys get the chance, take the time to watch this video though. It's pretty much the idea DIY venue and how it's operated this long: http://vimeo.com/9858385

It's something I think ANY city would love to have and something that would be really hard to make happen in Des Moines, but would be awesome if it could.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:08 pm

any sort of space like this would have to have an alternate means to pay rent besides shows. there arent enough people that even want it to happen nor enough people that go to shows to support it on shows alone.

also whoever will run this will have to police it well to prevent some of the damage and issues that have come up with other spaces. contracts from bookers/promoters along with dues and percentage of the door is a good idea.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 pm

I agree...the amount of shows booked and the attendance of said shows would not be enough to support a fully legit DIY space in Des Moines.

Memberships of some sort would have to be worked in somehow (to people who would want an active role in booking shows/operating of such a space).

Renting out gallery space for local artists always seems to generate a small source of funding for places like this. But Des Moines already seems to have a lot of galleries and I think other ideas would have to be brainstormed as a source of funding. If anyone had any ideas...please share. Outside the box ideas.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 pm

You can't even successfully have a show in any basement anywhere in Des Moines, so I don't know what the fuck you are expecting out of this.

-Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Expectations at this point are zero. Hence why my second sentence was just asking for some brainstorming ideas.

I know it's probably unrealistic, but if there is a genuine interest from people and some preliminary discussions are had...that is a step in the right direction.

Never bringing it up or discussing the possibility isn't going to accomplish anything either. :(

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Start a "good" a band and write some "good" songs, then...get booked at an ACTUAL venue. Shit, I guess you don't have to be that "good" considering Rhonda is a Dead gets booked at legit places and they stink like 80 year old pussy.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:52 pm

joseph wrote:thats what i was saying. the only criteria i have for being in the scene is that youve attended at least 1 show, which youve done. i got no problems with anybody. heck even varg and jrs are part of it.
There is criteria for being in a "scene"? This scene stuff reminds of retarded high school cliques. Myself, I am my own scene.
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:
joseph wrote:thats what i was saying. the only criteria i have for being in the scene is that youve attended at least 1 show, which youve done. i got no problems with anybody. heck even varg and jrs are part of it.
There is criteria for being in a "scene"? This scene stuff reminds of retarded high school cliques. Myself, I am my own scene.
exactly

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Now that it's warm enough, why not have have some farm party shows? If anyone amongst you has access to private property outside of the city, why not start a Briar Patch type place for punks or whatever the hell kind of music you want to play? There's nothing better than camping and rock n roll.
I poop on Petland!

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:Now that it's warm enough, why not have have some farm party shows? If anyone amongst you has access to private property outside of the city, why not start a Briar Patch type place for punks or whatever the hell kind of music you want to play? There's nothing better than camping and rock n roll.
I don't know anyone with any rural private property and this wasn't what I had in mind...but's it's definitely an idea! But it is seasonal and dependent on having cooperating weather.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Nick wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote:Now that it's warm enough, why not have have some farm party shows? If anyone amongst you has access to private property outside of the city, why not start a Briar Patch type place for punks or whatever the hell kind of music you want to play? There's nothing better than camping and rock n roll.
I don't know anyone with any rural private property and this wasn't what I had in mind...but's it's definitely an idea! But it is seasonal and dependent on having cooperating weather.
If the hippies at the Briar Patch and other places around Iowa can pull it off, there's no reason why you guys can't. As long as there is shelter for the equipment in case of rain, it shouldn't be a problem. Mud makes a party more fun.
I poop on Petland!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:
Nick wrote:
If the hippies at the Briar Patch and other places around Iowa can pull it off, there's no reason why you guys can't. As long as there is shelter for the equipment in case of rain, it shouldn't be a problem. Mud makes a party more fun.
in case you hadnt noticed, those people arent there for the music.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote: If the hippies at the Briar Patch and other places around Iowa can pull it off, there's no reason why you guys can't. As long as there is shelter for the equipment in case of rain, it shouldn't be a problem. Mud makes a party more fun.
I've noticed you've never been there so you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
I poop on Petland!

crow

Post by crow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:23 pm

you can probably find 5-10 copies of basically this exact thread on this site right now and the few times a DIY space has come about, none came from one of those threads. either stop talking and DO IT or accept this town is cursed.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:in case you hadnt noticed, those people arent there for the music.
Yeah...this is probably an issue as well. I mean, I know people go to the Briar Patch for the music, but it is also more of a party atmosphere than anything. I've been there to see Baber's Neighbor's and actually know Bob. People are all around there getting fucked up on various drugs...getting drunk out of their minds and doing stupid shit. I've been there on several occasions when the cops have been called too. All of which probably would have been avoided without all the drugs/alcohol present.

I mean, I love drinking beers every now and then, but I also believe a successful and legitimate DIY venue, you have to have it be drug/alcohol free. As in, no serving alcohol or allowing it to be consumed inside the establishment. It leads too many problems and liabilities. I'm not talking basement shows. Those are a different beast where anything goes in most cases. I'm thinking a well-organized DIY community center of sorts, with minimal overhead, where all members have a say.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Nick wrote:People are all around there getting fucked up on various drugs...getting drunk out of their minds and doing stupid shit. I've been there on several occasions when the cops have been called too. All of which probably would have been avoided without all the drugs/alcohol present.
this sounds like every show ive ever been to

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:
Bullet Tooth wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote: If the hippies at the Briar Patch and other places around Iowa can pull it off, there's no reason why you guys can't. As long as there is shelter for the equipment in case of rain, it shouldn't be a problem. Mud makes a party more fun.
I've noticed you've never been there so you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
you just said hippies. ive been to many hippy shows. very few are there for the music.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote:
you just said hippies. ive been to many hippy shows. very few are there for the music.[/quote]

Once again, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Why would people pay to get into a place unless it was for the music? You can get drunk and do drugs for free if you're not interested in the music.
I poop on Petland!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:50 pm

like nick said, its one big party. whats hard to figure out? prove me wrong.

find even 1 person that agrees with you and i'll take back my statement.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Nick wrote: People are all around there getting fucked up on various drugs...getting drunk out of their minds and doing stupid shit.
Sounds just like shows at HOB or the Mews.
Nick wrote:I mean, I love drinking beers every now and then, but I also believe a successful and legitimate DIY venue, you have to have it be drug/alcohol free. As in, no serving alcohol or allowing it to be consumed inside the establishment. It leads too many problems and liabilities.
Not allowing alcohol leads to low attendance and no money coming in.
I poop on Petland!

Nickyouredead

Post by Nickyouredead » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:53 pm

People book shows at Vaudeville all the time, why don't you just try that? If you don't have faith in people showing up for a show there I don't know how you expect them to show up and fund a DIY space.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:like nick said, its one big party. whats hard to figure out? prove me wrong.

find even 1 person that agrees with you and i'll take back my statement.
I don't need to prove you or anyone else wrong. I know I'm right and you're wrong. End of story.
I poop on Petland!

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Backing the Bullet. These queers only go for the drugs and noodle dancing. Any thing resembling to the "nostalgic" hippy community in the DSM area - DO NOT WANT.