More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

T.S.O.L. at the Gas Lamp May 15th

Post by DaVo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Just saw this listed in facebook and I have to ask why isn't this All Ages?
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

joseph

Re: T.S.O.L. at the Gas Lamp May 15th

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

because its in a bar?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:55 pm

joseph wrote:because its in a bar?
Maybe but there really is no reason why this isn't a manatee. It's Sunday and you would think an earlier show would draw better. It is a band that's been around since before most of their fans were born and the draw tends to be mostly older but still.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:59 pm

to be honest i dont understand it. im assuming they were either referred by g__ or s____ because they were nervous about a draw/guarantee? i dont know who else they wouldve contacted?

this bar/maybe venue confuses me as well...

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 pm

I'd think about going if TSOL didn't suck.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:06 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:I'd think about going if TSOL didn't suck.
haaa

sams

Post by sams » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:36 pm

I booked it. 21+ because that's what the venue does and I think all the fans will be 21+ either way. I'm sure if you wanted to bring your kid we could arrange something. I like the room. Good vibe to it. Any recommendations on locals? List em below...

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Davo, I understand what you're saying about wanting to take your kid to the show, but I would've booked it 21 plus also.

The only "scene" in DSM/Iowa is the old people.

Kids in DSM suck, I got entirely sick of doing all ages shows when I was booking.

The only kids in DSM that like punk would rather go skateboarding or some dumb shit like that than go to shows.

And the same little fagz wonder why there's no all ages shows.

Hmmmmm.......

21+ shows are more fun for the people that attend and for the bands. If noone would show up for the all ages that wouldn't come to the 21+ then why not?

21+ shows are also much easier for people with jobs to attend.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 pm

DaVo wrote:
Maybe but there really is no reason why this isn't a manatee.

haha, no one else saw that? laughed my balls off. What a 'tard.

I feel confident saying this band sucks even though I've never heard or heard of them.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Varg wrote:
DaVo wrote:Maybe but there really is no reason why this isn't a manatee.

Either one of the moderators has a great sense of humor, or Davo committed the funniest typo in the history of mankind. I'm actually ashamed I didn't notice that.
Varg wrote:I feel confident saying this band sucks even though I've never heard or heard of them.
You haven't heard of them cuz you're not a true punk rocker.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 am

my favorite manatee related pic! ^^^^
8)

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Not sure how I hit that a instead of that i.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Varg wrote:
DaVo wrote:
Maybe but there really is no reason why this isn't a manatee.

I feel confident saying this band sucks even though I've never heard or heard of them.
Glad my typo brought a little joy to your dark little world.

Chances are that you've heard "Code Blue" but if you haven't and lack interest that just makes them even better.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Joey Chaos wrote:I'd think about going if TSOL didn't suck.
Too highbrow and pure American for you?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:55 pm

sams wrote:I booked it. 21+ because that's what the venue does and I think all the fans will be 21+ either way. I'm sure if you wanted to bring your kid we could arrange something. I like the room. Good vibe to it. Any recommendations on locals? List em below...
Thanks for the offer but it is a school night and I'll have to think about it. I was posting this in part because of the kid and all but also because I really wonder where that next generation is going to come from? I have been to a number of shows and booked shows that a majority of the people there were 21+ and the kids seemed to have lack of interest and the scene has got older but still I wonder.

It's been a long time since I've been there and it was Blues on Grand then. About the only thing I remember was how small it was.

BTW drop off a flyer or two at the Skin Kitchen and thanks for doing the show. Now I get to see them 2 nights in a row.

sams

Post by sams » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Violent Knights have been added.

Davo- I will drop some off at skin kitchen asap

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Excellent quintuple post, Davo.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Shane wrote:Excellent quintuple post, Davo.
I figured you all missed them.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Shane wrote:Excellent quintuple post, Davo.

lol
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

MATT MUTT

Post by MATT MUTT » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:56 pm

[The only "scene" in DSM/Iowa is the old people.

Kids in DSM suck, I got entirely sick of doing all ages shows when I was booking.

The only kids in DSM that like punk would rather go skateboarding or some dumb shit like that than go to shows.[/quote]

It's also been over 3 years since you booked anything. the last all ages show I booked drew 151 people. I'd say 50+ were under 21. There is an underage scene here. Maybe I only see it cus I still go to shows everychance I get, and talk to them kids.
I do skateboard and asociate with that community also, I see many great things with "Punk & Skateboarding" in the next 2-3 years.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 am

yeah ive wondered about the younger generation then i just go to an all age show that i know nothing about. those shows are fucking packed with kids. i dont wonder anymore.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:43 pm

MATT MUTT wrote: It's also been over 3 years since you booked anything. the last all ages show I booked drew 151 people. I'd say 50+ were under 21. There is an underage scene here. Maybe I only see it cus I still go to shows everychance I get, and talk to them kids.
I do skateboard and asociate with that community also, I see many great things with "Punk & Skateboarding" in the next 2-3 years.
Then it's changed a lot. Bigger name bands (like the Suicide Machines, not like TSOL) did well, but all the underground bands I ever booked all ages drew were 21+'s that were pissed it was an early show, and a FEW younger kids. Like I said, all those "eastside" kids would come and just hang out outside. The only time they came in the door was when they were playing, not even when they're buddies were playing, only when they were.

Way to "support the scene".

I'm not going to this show because I think TSOL sucks, and I always have.
Last edited by Joey Chaos on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:19 am

MATT MUTT wrote:[The only "scene" in DSM/Iowa is the old people.

The only kids in DSM that like punk would rather go skateboarding or some dumb shit like that than go to shows.
It's also been over 3 years since you booked anything. the last all ages show I booked drew 151 people. I'd say 50+ were under 21. There is an underage scene here. Maybe I only see it cus I still go to shows everychance I get, and talk to them kids.
I do skateboard and asociate with that community also, I see many great things with "Punk & Skateboarding" in the next 2-3 years.[/quote]

Great post. There is definitely a scene and it's only getting better. I consider myself a younger kid in this scene still (I'm 23) but I try to go to as many hc/punk related shows I can. There are some I simply don't care about but if you're saying the kids here suck is a huge blanket statement. I met Shane when he was 15 and he's one of the kids that makes me want to continue putting on shows here.

Not long after he started coming to shows he started his own bands, started bringing his friends and they started bands so you can take that opinion and shove it. The guys in Motivated are around my age and even though you've never been to one of their shows, they are doing the same thing Shane did.

The problem I think is a lot of us think we are "too old" to reach out to the younger generation. The DMHC collective is working on hard on changing that!

edit - Another thing is I don't think constantly down talking to new kids who come around is a healthy thing for the scene. It alienates and will quickly make those kids start to resent you. I think because of places like this board and shit like "PUNK IS BETTER THAN HARDCORE" or "Listen to this band or you're a poser" etc, there is a general lack of involvement.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:58 am

tylerjames515 wrote:edit - Another thing is I don't think constantly down talking to new kids who come around is a healthy thing for the scene. It alienates and will quickly make those kids start to resent you. I think because of places like this board and shit like "PUNK IS BETTER THAN HARDCORE" or "Listen to this band or you're a poser" etc, there is a general lack of involvement.
i have no idea what youre trying to explain

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:15 am

It definitely happens.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:59 am

tylerjames515 wrote: edit - Another thing is I don't think constantly down talking to new kids who come around is a healthy thing for the scene. It alienates and will quickly make those kids start to resent you. I think because of places like this board and shit like "PUNK IS BETTER THAN HARDCORE" or "Listen to this band or you're a poser" etc, there is a general lack of involvement.

i totally remember this discussion happening like 5+ years ago on this board.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:It definitely happens.
so youre trying to say the "im bettrn you because im cooler because punk vs jocks vs hardcoir vs street punk vs etc is better youre a poser hipster wanna be doofus etc" arguments are what is divisive and not unifying?

cause if thats what youre saying thats what you do.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:33 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote: edit - Another thing is I don't think constantly down talking to new kids who come around is a healthy thing for the scene. It alienates and will quickly make those kids start to resent you. I think because of places like this board and shit like "PUNK IS BETTER THAN HARDCORE" or "Listen to this band or you're a poser" etc, there is a general lack of involvement.

i totally remember this discussion happening like 5+ years ago on this board.

more like every year