kurtis
Represent!

Re: whole foods

Post by kurtis » Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 pm

nice

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Thu May 05, 2011 1:46 pm

I'll trade you guys a couple Whole Foods for a Hy-Vee.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu May 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Darrin wrote:I'll trade you guys a couple Whole Foods for a Hy-Vee.
DEAL

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu May 05, 2011 9:46 pm

WHOLE PAYCHECK

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu May 05, 2011 10:17 pm

according to the news, they are already working out a second location that is supposedly going to be downtown...or 'more accessible to the metro'
...sweet.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Fri May 06, 2011 12:34 am

TooManyHumyns wrote:according to the news, they are already working out a second location that is supposedly going to be downtown...or 'more accessible to the metro'
...sweet.
just go to Campbells, support local stores.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri May 06, 2011 8:10 am

inx515xhell wrote:WHOLE PAYCHECK
Exactly.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 06, 2011 10:56 am

ilikehorses wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:according to the news, they are already working out a second location that is supposedly going to be downtown...or 'more accessible to the metro'
...sweet.
have you been to campbells lately? arent they still more of a supplement store than a grocery?

with gateway, trader joes and whole foods moving in along with hyvee and dahls now carrying more organics and locally sometimes grown food. im thinking its a win win for me. saturate my market and lower prices to get customer loyaty.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri May 06, 2011 11:35 am

joseph wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:
...sweet.
have you been to campbells lately? arent they still more of a supplement store than a grocery?

with gateway, trader joes and whole foods moving in along with hyvee and dahls now carrying more organics and locally sometimes grown food. im thinking its a win win for me. saturate my market and lower prices to get customer loyaty.
Yeah.

I like this because hopefully Hy-Vee will stop thinking its really carrying good shit and step up their products and LOWER THEIR DAMN PRICES.

I ship food for Hy-Vee and I rarely ever shop there.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 pm

kurtis wrote:I like this because hopefully Hy-Vee will stop thinking its really carrying good shit and step up their products and LOWER THEIR DAMN PRICES.

I ship food for Hy-Vee and I rarely ever shop there.
i live really close to hyvee. i dont buy much there. mostly whiskey. i never buy meat from there.
shit costs too much and dont they get their shit from the same place as dahls and fareway?(i know youll know this)

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri May 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Nope, both have their own distribution warehouses. BUT, we do ship some but stuff to Dahls, 70% ice cream 10% pickles 20% small items and flour.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri May 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Darrin wrote:I'll trade you guys a couple Whole Foods for a Hy-Vee.
wait a few more years and you might get a couple in north east Colorado.

they just went up into Wisconsin and farther into Kansas and Missouri last year.

im sure they will go more west. already have a few farther than half way across Nebraska

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Could careless. The whole organic food movement is a scam. There have been a number of studies that have shown trace amounts of DDT and other chemicals in "Organic" foods. Also it is not sustainable with the rate of growing human population.

Also there has always been "Slow" produce and meats at HyVee and Dahl's for years.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 pm

my 19 year old self would have been way more excited

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat May 07, 2011 10:53 am

joseph wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:
...sweet.

i agree with above statement...
im all about more options...im really supportive of the push hy-vee has been putting on 'natural' and organic foods, most of it is fairly decently priced...could use a bit more in the produce area...but whatevs'...
i like new city market, but a little out of my price range for shoppig on a regular basis, and fuck a bunch of cambells...ever since the first time i went there, 6 or so years ago, they follow me and treat me like a criminal...granted, they were probably justified in doing so back in the day, but even then i would go in and spend 50 bucks on stuff on a semi regular basis, and recognized the staff that was working there, to this day, they give that same vibe that im not welcome there, which is fine, i will take my money elsewhere...i dont like going into a place and being talked down to, which is what happens almost every fucking time..so whatevs...
trader joes is aight...hadnt ever been before the one in wdm arrived, they were hyped up a pinch much for me...the produce selection is about all i care about, alot of their food doesnt taste right...really good fresh pizza dough though and its cheap as dirt...
i've been to a few whole foods, i think des moines would benifit from an all ecompassing store such as itself, i dont see what arguement you could really bring against it, the more options for a healthier lifestyle, the better. the more competetive, the better...it all leads to bigger and better things coming to des moines, and i welcome it all with open arms...when its all said and done i will probably still just to go to hy-vee because of hte prices...but i still support it none the less

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat May 07, 2011 10:57 am

and yes, half that place is supplements...and soaps and body oils and stuff...i dont know....
i have been shopping at dahls more frequently than hyvee lately but have found it to be much more expensive...i think it depends what your buying...but hyvee has them beat on produce specials and prices...at least according to my budget..ingerdahls is just more accessible for me....
ugh, and gateway market is aweful....8 bones for a jar of peanut butter? no thanks...but the restaraunt is pretty tastey...

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat May 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Ways to go organic without breaking the bank, by Ryan M. Lewellin.

1. Grow your own. Do container gardening if you do not have land or have access to land and do what you can.

2. Join a CSA.

3. Buy stuff in season when it's in abundance and at low prices and learn to preserve it - dehydrate, freeze, can, etc.

4. On Wednesdays Hy-Vee has 10% off all the health market products and organics. I make this night the big shopping trip night. If anything is on sale that I know I'll eventually use, I'll get it then and save 10% on top of the sale.

So basically it's all about having a bit of foresight.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 am

TooManyHumyns wrote:and yes, half that place is supplements...and soaps and body oils and stuff...i dont know....
i have been shopping at dahls more frequently than hyvee lately but have found it to be much more expensive...i think it depends what your buying...but hyvee has them beat on produce specials and prices...at least according to my budget..ingerdahls is just more accessible for me....
ugh, and gateway market is aweful....8 bones for a jar of peanut butter? no thanks...but the restaraunt is pretty tastey...
Seems like every time I go in Gateway (admittedly not a lot) the prices get higher and higher. It's doing well though it seems so whatever works for it I guess. I like the idea of having more options in Des Moines also, local is great but sometimes bigger chains can be a lot more convenient.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Food prices everywhere are definitely on the rise - grain is up, oil is up, the dollar is down.

Gateway has always been a little on the expensive side for what it is.