More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DARKBASS

The Wrestler and the Fleur Cinema both RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by DARKBASS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:21 pm

So I saw the movie, The Wrestler, with my ma last night. First of all the Fleur Cinema is ballin', go there, get a beer, see a good flick. Now, the Wrestler, I have NOTHING bad to say about this movie, it kicked ass. The soundtrack was killer, did Darren Aronofsky personally make this movie for me or what? Scorpions, Accept, Quiet Riot, Ratt, THE FUCKING BOSS with a badass new song made for the movie. Um, I gotta pull a George Costanza here and say MARISA TOMEI! BAZOOOOM! I don't care what her age is now, i can't tell(compliment to her) I would pay double for a lap dance, and Mickey Rourke, such a great job, they both deserve awards for looking and acting amazing in this movie. I wont ruin any plot at all, just go see it.
MARK'O'WAR

inx515xhell

Re: The Wrestler and the Fleur Cinema both RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 pm

"that kurt cobain ruined everything"
great movie.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 pm

This movie gets my seal of approval. Worth the admission. If mickey rourke doesnt win the oscar it will be a trvesty.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:23 pm

darkbass wrote:So I saw the movie, The Wrestler, with my ma last night. First of all the Fleur Cinema is ballin', go there, get a beer, see a good flick.
the movie is good. fleur cinema, however, is far from "ballin'". the owner has spent nearly all of his time renovating the lobby area with items from Calypso while doing nothing to improve the actual theater itself, you know, the most important part. the sound system(barring one theater in which they had to install professional sound equip. to show Spiderman 3--yes, that brilliant "arthouse" film played there) and the incredibly uncomfortable seating have remained the same since it was Fleur 4 Theaters.

besides being able to buy a beer, probably the only real attraction there, everything about the place is shitty. the films are selected by some jack-off in NYC who thinks he has a clue as to what people in Iowa like(which is why so many good films that should be playing there pass by, or only stay for a few days).

i'm usually the "don't buy corporate.." dude, but in this case if you want to see a good film in a good theater(why else would you wanna pay those prices?), i suggest going to Jordan Creek Cinema. amazing theaters, almost all the same films as Fleur normally, plus ones they won't get, and it's easy to sneak into for you more ambitious kids.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:36 pm

@nonymous wrote:
darkbass wrote:So I saw the movie, The Wrestler, with my ma last night. First of all the Fleur Cinema is ballin', go there, get a beer, see a good flick.
the movie is good. fleur cinema, however, is far from "ballin'". the owner has spent nearly all of his time renovating the lobby area with items from Calypso while doing nothing to improve the actual theater itself, you know, the most important part. the sound system(barring one theater in which they had to install professional sound equip. to show Spiderman 3--yes, that brilliant "arthouse" film played there) and the incredibly uncomfortable seating have remained the same since it was Fleur 4 Theaters.

besides being able to buy a beer, probably the only real attraction there, everything about the place is shitty. the films are selected by some jack-off in NYC who thinks he has a clue as to what people in Iowa like(which is why so many good films that should be playing there pass by, or only stay for a few days).

i'm usually the "don't buy corporate.." dude, but in this case if you want to see a good film in a good theater(why else would you wanna pay those prices?), i suggest going to Jordan Creek Cinema. amazing theaters, almost all the same films as Fleur normally, plus ones they won't get, and it's easy to sneak into for you more ambitious kids.
@- please post more theater critiques. and please list more places/businesses you approve of.(i seriously want to know)

HeyohBilly

Post by HeyohBilly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:44 pm

I agree that the Wrestler is excellent.

As far as @'s theater critique, I work at the theater and will confirm that the 3/4 of the projectors are super old. They purchased a new projector in August though and have fixed up the other three quite a bit since then (drastically improving the picture in the first theater). The sound system could use an upgrade, but at the same time, the theater doesn't get "big sound" movies often enough to make the expense worth it. As far as the booking goes, I think the agent is actually located in Omaha. He and the GM discuss and decide which films make sense to bring in. We'd get more movies like Baghead and The Ten if people came to see them... unfortunately, indie comedies and horror films do really bad there.
Life is short. Stunt it.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:20 pm

heyohbilly wrote:As far as the booking goes, I think the agent is actually located in Omaha. He and the GM discuss and decide which films make sense to bring in. We'd get more movies like Baghead and The Ten if people came to see them... unfortunately, indie comedies and horror films do really bad there.
the only reason films do bad there is because there is no promotion of them. let's face it, that business is mike c's trophy business. it doesn't make money; it doesn't need to. it just exists to exist.

as far as the GM having any say in what plays there, trust me, the decision ultimately lands on the agent--it has been that way since the place opened and every manager who has worked there has expressed this point. not to undermine your comment--being that you work there i'm sure you are aware of this.

of course another problem with the fleur is the fact that it operates under the facade that it is a "local" business you should support. it is owned by a multi-millionaire real-estate tycoon who knows nothing about film and who relegates nearly all of the decision making to his secretary(except for the occasional hairbrained idea he may have for the place....."no more small cups!!").

please post more theater critiques. and please list more places/businesses you approve of.(i seriously want to know)
quality local businesses:

new city market
mars cafe
ritual cafe
cup o' kryptonite
king and i thai
zzz records
big tomato
varsity theatre
frank's pizza

more i'm sure.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Thom

Post by Thom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:49 pm

@nonymous wrote:quality local businesses:

new city market
mars cafe
ritual cafe
cup o' kryptonite
king and i thai
zzz records
big tomato
varsity theatre
frank's pizza
Starbucks
Last time I was in King and i thai there was a different person than usual cooking the food. While waiting for service I noticed her picking her nose while cooking. I quietly left.

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:42 pm

new city market
mars cafe
ritual cafe
cup o' kryptonite
king and i thai
zzz records
big tomato
varsity theatre
frank's pizza

more i'm sure.[/quote]

ADONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 pm

yo @,
tell us about the testicle painting.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 pm

hank fist wrote:yo @,
tell us about the testicle painting.
you mean the coffee table from calypso mike c. sat his bare ass and balls on in black paint?

it's real. check out a Variety magazine while you gaze at a silhouette of the owner of fleur's genital region......

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:36 am

@nonymous wrote:the films are selected by some jack-off in NYC who thinks he has a clue as to what people in Iowa like
only people in nyc would like a movie about tweakers made by an ex-tweaker in iowa titled "iowa"

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:39 am

in before some "you haven't been around...blah blah blah....shit changed"

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:14 pm

I have only been to the Fleur a handful of times since it is alllllllllll the way on the south side. But most of the times have been a mediocre experience. I went to see Milk a couple weeks ago and the speaker to our left was crackling and buzzing the entire time, I'm pretty sure the speaker was blown, but I didn't feel like getting up and moving.

Then a while back when I saw American Hardcore, I don't even think they were using their entire sound system. It was comparable to watching the film in my living room with the surround sound turned off so you could only hear the tv's tiny speakers. I did not get the experience of being in an actual movie theater besides the uncomfortable seating and the sticky floor. But I'm not one for bitching about shit I can't change. Support shit while its still here.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:07 am

Fleur is by far the best theater in town.
....just kidding.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:24 am

I like fleur, but I have to agree that Jordan Creek has a far better theaters, and generally a lot of the same movies. However, it is way further away, so I will generally go to fleur if the same thing is playing at both.

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 pm

why do only old people go to this movie?
( I work at a movie theater and that seems to be the trend)

young people apparently suck, cause this movie rocks!

I just bought the soundtrack too!
MARK'O'WAR