More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Re: Religulous

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:55 am

Crumpty Williams wrote:
Hank Fist wrote: I'm not saying they are constantly thinking that, maybe not at all, but what's the point of believing in a god if not to know there is a greater power watching over you, explaining the point of your existence, and giving you a place to go when you die?
Well, ok. As you may have guessed, I believe in some kind of higher intelligence (actually, many levels of higher consciousness, but I won't bore you with all those details). At the core of things, an ultimate, all-knowing kind of super consciousness--I guess you could say, God. Not because I see some special "point" to having this belief, but rather because it's a conclusion that I have reached based on all that I have learned and experienced up to this point in my life.

It's not a belief that I hold because of some psychological inadequacy, guilt or a way to escape any kind of rational thought.... In fact it's the exact opposite--something I've given more thought and reason to than just about anything else in my life. It's simply a personal conclusion I've reached based on the entire sum of my life experiences thus far.

Do I think I'm right about it? Well, yeah. That's why I believe it, because I think it's true.

Do I think anyone who thinks there is no God is an idiot? No. Like I said, I believe what I believe because it's a subjective conclusion that I have reached. I realize that everyone has the right to come to his or her own conclusions on such matters, and its not my place to judge their beliefs. I would hope that people on the other side of the coin have a mutual respect in that regard.
I would have to have no respect for half my family, who are kind of nutty in this regard. But I do, until they something nutty, then i have to not listen.

wait a sec...don't you believe the government started the hippy counterculture movement?... :D

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 am

I mean go to the Watain show, I think you get to see a black mass.
MARK'O'WAR

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:40 pm

crumpty wrote:Do I think anyone who thinks there is no God is an idiot? No. Like I said, I believe what I believe because it's a subjective conclusion that I have reached. I realize that everyone has the right to come to his or her own conclusions on such matters, and its not my place to judge their beliefs. I would hope that people on the other side of the coin have a mutual respect in that regard.
what's so hard about this crumpty? really. no one cares about your beliefs--believe whatever you want. but when your ridiculous ideas become law and when our society becomes ruled by people who the share insane beliefs(in our case, christian fundamentalism), then it does become a problem. beliefs are just beliefs until people use them to manipulate and control others. people that believe in God(or the devil) are fucking insane. I wouldn't want them in charge of watering my plants, let alone making decisions that affect me and the entire planet.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:43 pm

i thought you didnt believe in laws @?

JoePreppy
Go Go Gadget Shoe Phone

Post by JoePreppy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:01 pm

joseph wrote:i thought you didnt believe in laws @?
uh, i think that's what he was kind of getting at....

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:49 am

This was hilarious.

I don't like Bill Maher, but I loved this movie.

Go see.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:32 am

I forgot to get back to this one, I did end up watching it a few months ago.

Bill Maher makes me angry. Not because he forces me to question the things I believe in but because something about that ugly, smug, bird of prey-esque smirk he always has on his face makes me want to smash things.

I ended up falling asleep for part of it. Maybe I missed something but it seemed like the whole movie was basically him taking easy and predictable shots at people on the fringe of Christianity. I can't name/remember specifics but the one normal guy he did interview (the human genome scientist) he really seemed to stroke his ego and approached his questioning from a much different standpoint than what he did for the others.

Parts of it were marginally funny but mostly because of the people being interviewed themselves, not because of any comedic brilliance on Maher's part.

I can see this being entertaining and/or enjoyable viewing for some people but I still believe my first thoughts about this not being anything earth-shattering were correct.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:23 pm

to me, the film was more of a monologue than a documentary. i hate it when filmmakers pull really cheap shots like maher did throughout this movie, using editing techniques to make a joke. good documentarists are able to capture genuine moments of emotion--letting raw footage speak for itself as much as possible. obviously because it's a film, editing and certain things are impossible to avoid, especially when making a film with such a direct agenda.

i just didnt get the sense that maher put in the time to really find interesting, honest moments in this film.

the last 10min of the film where maher is giving his last speech that features epic music and images of apocalypse was really good though.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken