More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

aeon grey

Re: What video games are you currently playing?

Post by aeon grey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Gears of War 3 (possibly 2010)
Splinter Cell: Conviction
These might be the only games I am actually looking forward to. Would love to play the FF series games, but I just can't find the time needed to devote to such a thing. I would like to get into fallout, but again, seems like it would eat up my life for months. I need games I can play and walk away from at any given moment.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 am

Played Katamari Forever for a while last night. I forget how insanely fun those games are.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 pm

My roommates play Modern Warfare 2 constantly, and it is the fucking bane of my existence. I didn't know I could hate video games this much. Thanks, Call of Duty!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:33 pm

elliot wrote:My roommates play Modern Warfare 2 constantly, and it is the fucking bane of my existence. I didn't know I could hate video games this much. Thanks, Call of Duty!
these types of games are why i havent gotten a ps3 or 360 yet. i have kids and spend most of my time with them and if i got one of these games, that'd all go out the window.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:48 pm

nice thou avatar.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 pm

elliot wrote:My roommates play Modern Warfare 2 constantly, and it is the fucking bane of my existence. I didn't know I could hate video games this much. Thanks, Call of Duty!
PS3 or 360
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 am

I got Heavy Rain yesterday. So far I've only played it for an hour or so, but it seems awesome. The voice acting is hit or miss though .

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:05 pm

I've heard the voice acting is less irritating if you turn on French dialogue with English subtitles. What's the game all about? It just sounds like a choose your own adventure book to me..
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 pm

robdigi wrote:I've heard the voice acting is less irritating if you turn on French dialogue with English subtitles. What's the game all about? It just sounds like a choose your own adventure book to me..
Actually, I could see that being the case with the voice acting sounding better in French than in English, because Quantic Dream is a French game studio and I think they used a lot of French people to do the voice acting. You can hear accents a lot of times.

Anyway....the game is about trying to track down a serial killer, called The Origami Killer. His M.O. is to kill only boys (ages 9-13), drowning them in rain water and leaving a Origami in their hand and an orchid on their chest. You play 4 different main characters in the game, all trying to track down the killer: a father, a photographer, a private detective and an FBI agent. And yeah...it is sort of "choose your own adventure" because there are like 5 different ways you can choose to approach each "scene" in the game. Each one give you a different outcome to the game. Each one has a different consequence.

It is definitely a slow paced game, but VERY enthralling. It's like playing your way through a sweet psychological thriller, like Seven or something. Totally unlike any other game I've ever played, but in a very good way.

ginx86

Post by ginx86 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:05 am

robdigi wrote:I've heard the voice acting is less irritating if you turn on French dialogue with English subtitles. What's the game all about? It just sounds like a choose your own adventure book to me..
I haven't played Heavy Rain yet but if you can't find it for rent, I would find a used copy of Indigo Prophecy and try it before throwing down $60 on Heavy Rain. This type of game is usually a love it or hate it deal.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am

ginx86 wrote:
I haven't played Heavy Rain yet but if you can't find it for rent, I would find a used copy of Indigo Prophecy and try it before throwing down $60 on Heavy Rain. This type of game is usually a love it or hate it deal.
I dunno...the only real comparison I see between Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy is the QTE/button prompts style of gameplay. Other than that, they are very different.

It's pretty safe to say that if you did like Indigo Prophecy though, that you'll love this game.

ginx86

Post by ginx86 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Nick wrote:I dunno...the only real comparison I see between Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy is the QTE/button prompts style of gameplay. Other than that, they are very different.

It's pretty safe to say that if you did like Indigo Prophecy though, that you'll love this game.
Yeah its the QTE style of gameplay that usually turns people off on Indigo Prophecy. In other words if they don't like the QTEs in Indigo Prophecy at $7.95 used they're probably going to like it a lot less in Heavy Rain when they pay $59.99.

By the way. Phat PS3 owners might want to check this link, seems to be a problem with the internal clock that popped up in the last few days:
Sony advises against PS3 use

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm

ginx86 wrote:By the way. Phat PS3 owners might want to check this link, seems to be a problem with the internal clock that popped up in the last few days:
Sony advises against PS3 use
Yeah...I've got an old 80GB, backwards compatible PS3. I was playing up until about 4:30p.m. yesterday and then shut it off. Today I read about all the problems and I won't be turning mine back on until they resolve the bug.

And yeah...if you don't like QTEs in video games, you probably won't like Heavy Rain. The story is so great though.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 am

Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:39 am

All the final fantasy and RPG shit in this thread is gay.

How do those games even have any kind of appeal to anyone over the age of five? I'm not surprised at all to see so many of you so into it.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 am

Varg wrote:All the final fantasy and RPG shit in this thread is gay.

How do those games even have any kind of appeal to anyone over the age of five? I'm not surprised at all to see so many of you so into it.
If a videogame is good, a videogame is good. Whether it's an RPG or fighter or shmup or whatever doesn't matter, just as long as it is fun to play and is rewarding.

And I don't see how RPGs can appeal to anyone under the age of 5 honestly. I hated RPGs until the age of 9 or so.

Anyway, been playing Shadow Complex. This game is phenomenal. This is what the Metroid series should have turned into once it hit the third dimension. Fuck Prime in the ass, I hope they make a second Shadow Complex game. I just got the Foam gun and I'm having a blast. Excellent game, and totally a must play if you are a fan of the Metroidvania style of games.

-Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:20 am

This seems to be a really big deal all over the interwebz. I mean, the game already has lots of tits and ass in it, but this little hot coffee glitch that shows full frontal is making teens across the globe jizz.

Madison is pree hot for a video game chick though. The developers textured the boobies nicely for the shower scene!

This game is really picking up too. Great story. Pre-ordered GOW 3 from Gamestop the same day I picked up Heavy Rain and am stoked to get that shit on the 16th.

ginx86

Post by ginx86 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 am

Joe wrote: If a videogame is good, a videogame is good. Whether it's an RPG or fighter or shmup or whatever doesn't matter, just as long as it is fun to play and is rewarding.
While I agree with the basic sentiment I myself find JRPGs the hardest genre for me to get into. If its not top notch I lose interest half way through usually. But if other people enjoy it don't see much reason in shitting on it.
Joe wrote: Anyway, been playing Shadow Complex. This game is phenomenal. This is what the Metroid series should have turned into once it hit the third dimension. Fuck Prime in the ass, I hope they make a second Shadow Complex game. I just got the Foam gun and I'm having a blast. Excellent game, and totally a must play if you are a fan of the Metroidvania style of games.

-Joe.
Shadow Complex is probably the next game I'll pick up from Live , really enjoyed the demo. Have you been keeping up with Metroid Other M. Sounds like its going to go back to its 2d roots while integrating some 3d?

May dust off the Wii to play it.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Finished Heavy Rain the other night. After finishing this game and having more time to think about it, it is starting to soak in as to why this game is so great. It's not the gameplay, the controls, the the graphics or the nudity (the gaemplay and controls sorta suck, yo). It really is how different the story in this game is compared to pretty much all other games before it.

This is really more like an interactive movie. Unlike most games where the story centers around some main character saving a female in distress or big muscle bound dudes with guns saving the world or a character running around blowing the heads off of zombies or playing through some historic war battle, this game is totally unique.

It brings out real emotions and makes you think about what you should do in certain situations. Makes you ask yourself questions. Makes you think about the consequence of each action. It's pretty fucking remarkable in that aspect. I was actually finding myself emotionally attached to each character in some way throughout the game (well, maybe not Jayden). I can't think of many (any) other games that have done that for me. Sounds lame, but if you've played it, you'll know what I am talking about.

Most games all you do is run around and shot people/kill them in some way to make it to the end of a stage or reach a goal. I can't even begin to imagine how many people I've killed in video games over the years. It's mindless violence.

This game, on the other hand, you have to think about the outcome of what might happen if you kill someone. You are given options. Do you kill them or let them live? It really is pretty fantastic and unlike any other game.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 am

just got megaman 10
it rules
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:07 am

Modern warfare 2.
As time moves
There's no sound

Potter

Post by Potter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:49 am

Last edited by Potter on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

junkyard

Post by junkyard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:24 am

COD4 online

and Im looking forward to the new Fall out and playing the new Final Fantasy.
myspace.com/Ironfistshows
jdmcity.com

Potter

Post by Potter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:35 am

Last edited by Potter on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

hen

Post by hen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:41 am

Rooster wrote:Modern warfare 2.
cluck cluck cluck CLUCK cluck CLUCK cluck cluck
cluck cluck

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Currently playing:

-Dragon Age: Origins
-Little Big Planet 2
-Undead Redemption expansion pack
-Fallout: New Vegas

Also, I know zombie games are a super played out theme these days, but HOLY FUCK....this is the best trailer I've seen in a looooong time. Stoked to see some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Starcraft II

like a boss.

If anyone plays, add me on battlenet.. User ID is "graybot", I play most nights..
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:34 am

black ops for xbox 360

bought red dead redemption. boring. thinking about buying the zombie version but dunno since the one i have is boring.

also bought battlefields: bad company 2. havent played it yet. heard the online play is great.

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:05 am

Banjo Kazooie. N64 is way better than all that pussy Xbox bullshit.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.