More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Community Supported Agriculture.

Post by El Rhino » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:51 am

Anyone do one of these around here?

We did LT Organics last year and it sucked balls. We didn't get a very good variety of produce or the quantities they assured and the guy who ran it was keen on giving goofy nutritional / health advice - he's an old Indian (dots) in a wheelchair that used to be a doctor. Overpriced for what it was.

I somehow managed to get a slot for Small Potatoes this year, which seems like it's a very popular and reputable one so I think that's going to be cool.

It's a good concept. Supporting local organic farmers, getting fresh produce and getting introduced to produce you wouldn't normally use. Even though the one I did last year sucked I did up my daily vegetable intake and branched out to a few things I wouldn't have normally eaten.

So yeah, anyone have any experience with one of these in the area?

Shane

Re: Community Supported Agriculture.

Post by Shane » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:17 am

This is actually really interesting and something I'd be into trying.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 am

El Rhino wrote:Anyone do one of these around here?

We did LT Organics last year and it sucked balls. We didn't get a very good variety of produce or the quantities they assured and the guy who ran it was keen on giving goofy nutritional / health advice - he's an old Indian (dots) in a wheelchair that used to be a doctor. Overpriced for what it was.

I somehow managed to get a slot for Small Potatoes this year, which seems like it's a very popular and reputable one so I think that's going to be cool.

It's a good concept. Supporting local organic farmers, getting fresh produce and getting introduced to produce you wouldn't normally use. Even though the one I did last year sucked I did up my daily vegetable intake and branched out to a few things I wouldn't have normally eaten.

So yeah, anyone have any experience with one of these in the area?
There's some kind of neighborhood garden down on SE 6th and Maury or Scott, or whatever. I don't know what you have to do to join it, but it's a great idea. I could get into growing some hot peppers 'n shit.
I poop on Petland!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:03 am

Big Fat Retard wrote:
There's some kind of neighborhood garden down on SE 6th and Maury or Scott, or whatever. I don't know what you have to do to join it, but it's a great idea. I could get into growing some hot peppers 'n shit.

Yeah, Micah/Hank Fist posted something about that last season. You basically just rent a plot of land and plant shit and other people around you do the same. In a CSA someone else does the farming (with some volunteer help from the members here and there) and shares the produce equally among the people who chip in financially by buying a share.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 am

the one on scott and 6th amazes me. the bottoms have always had bad/contaminated soil. im guessing the city trucked in a bunch of dirt. i drive by that a lot and watched it all last year. seemed like everybody was into it at first then they just kinda overgrew. seems like a good spot for bums to get free produce.

i do like the idea.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 pm

is that community garden on 27th across from drake still around?
i think the flower spelled out "peace"

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:36 pm

i participated in one of these for a couple years. there are actually quite a few in central Iowa. the one i did was called The Homestead(http://thehomestead.org/), near Runnells. the proceeds go towards fighting Autism. i got quite a bit of food each week. some of them give discounts if you volunteer one day every couple weeks too.

here's a list of all the CSA's in Iowa: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Public ... PM1693.pdf
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

creepykid

Post by creepykid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 pm

greg goode has an awesome story about that wheelchair guy. he's out of his mind.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm

inx515xhell wrote:is that community garden on 27th across from drake still around?
i think the flower spelled out "peace"
I thought it spelled our jesus...
We go through COSC...their pick up is in merle hay mall...

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:12 pm

creepykid wrote:greg goode has an awesome story about that wheelchair guy. he's out of his mind.

Oh? Being as is Greg Goode doesn't post here (to my knowledge), please relate.

weirdtaylor

Post by weirdtaylor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:42 pm

so is anyone growing anything this year? i am spreading my plants around three peoples yards since i am apartment bound. i have tons of tomatoes and peppers allready started.
If I eat meat, and count sheep to sleep, will the sheep come to eat when I sleep?

creepykid

Post by creepykid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:16 pm

i don't remember exactly but the main idea of the story is him and his girlfriend go there to eat. the guy comes out and talks to them and gets real creepy and then friendly and then ends their experience there by yelling at greg because he wasn't good enough for his girlfriend? or something like that. lol