Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

Sept. 5th--The Really, Really Free Market

Post by @nonymous » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

you're invited.

When: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5th
Where: DRAKE PARK(24th & Cottage Grove)
Time: 11-3pm

Everyone is welcome at this free event, where all are encouraged to give, receive, and create on their own terms. This free and open market will be a celebration of the cooperation and gift-giving that make life possible beyond the constraints of capitalist markets. The event is self-organized by everyone who participates. No authority rules over the RRFM. As at previous events, we trust that people sharing rather than competing will be able to find their own ways to cooperate with each other and function smoothly.

Everyone is invited to arrive from 11am ’till late afternoon with goods, services, skills, performances, stories, crafts, food, games, music, clothing, furniture, plants, and resources to give and share with others in the community. There is no buying, selling or exchanging involved—in this market, everything is strictly free. Better than a yard sale, the Really Really Free Market has no price tags!

As at other Really Really Free Markets across the U.S. and around the world, we create and participate in an alternative world, a world in which resources are held in common, the community meets the needs of the community, and “free” means just that: really, really free. The Really Really Free Market is an afternoon when social status can be earned by giving things rather than owning things, and when giving and receiving happens directly rather than being administered through an institution or organization.

Nothing is required for participation, but if you would like to give something at the event, please think creatively about the skills you have and could teach, the useful or beautiful things you have and don’t need, or the resources you might be able to bring and share with people to create something during the event. This event is not a ‘dumping ground’ for people to get rid of things they don’t want; rather it is a space where people come together to provide for each other, inspire each other, and share together in the abundance of goods, skills, and creativity of our community.

People are encouraged to take responsibility for any goods they bring that are not taken by the end of the event.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

weirdtaylor

Re: Sept. 5th--The Really, Really Free Market

Post by weirdtaylor » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 pm

so, so, so, fucking there!
If I eat meat, and count sheep to sleep, will the sheep come to eat when I sleep?

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:07 pm

sounds like a bunch of hippie bullshit.
I poop on Petland!

Shamone Jackson

Post by Shamone Jackson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:26 am

Smells like dirty hair and incense .

I doubt I will sell too much crank at this

tom2electricboogaloo

Post by tom2electricboogaloo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 am

Shamone Jackson wrote:I doubt I will sell too much crank at this
it's the 'really really free market', so you won't sell a thing.

btw...when is the 'really real free market'? i'd like to pick up some phat beats.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:16 pm

So what kinds of things were there last time you guys did this? If I have that Saturday off I might come down with a sack of herbs (like basil and oregano, numbnuts, not weed) or something.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:49 pm

many household items, music, clothes, books, movies, bread, veggies(i think), reiki(sp), ear candling, yoga, healthy food alternative demonstration...ie:healthier ingredients to use in chocolate chip cookies but they still taste good, people played music, games, kids activities...quite a bunch of stuff going on, i would really be into some of the herbs you would potentially bring down...and yes there is also zines and propaganda and whatnot...good people though...bring what you want to get rid of take, take whatever you'd like

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:51 pm

what is it with you types and ear candling?
Tu vir nunc es, canis

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:15 pm

you types? i was just reporting the news...I will assume you mean (A) people...which i am not...which didnt you used to be like one of 'those people' for like 2 months...during the caucus?

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:04 pm

i have never used an ear candle, you are mistaken
Tu vir nunc es, canis

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:07 pm

Ok, maybe I'll be down with some herbs or whatever.

This is a great way to keep money out of the hands of the Jewish bankers. Keep up the good fight, brothers.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 pm

servo wrote:what is it with you types and ear candling?
the event is made up of things that are brought by individual participants. dawn from firehouse yoga and morning star massage is really enthusiastic about the event and is really amazing. she brings a big tent and provides massage therapy and ear candling free of charge at every 'market.

considering the weather could go either way in october, this could be the last outdoor free market of the year(we may have them year round--inside the firehouse yoga during the cold months). so everyone should try and make it out. the more people that come, the better it becomes.

there will also be a neighborhood potluck happening in collaboration with the event--so show up for some free food and bring something to share if you have it.
Last edited by @nonymous on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 pm

edit...
@nonymous wrote: considering the weather could go either way in october, this could be the last outdoor free market of the year(we may have them year round--inside the firehouse yoga during the cold months).

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:23 pm

good call.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:59 am

So yeah, if you want to go deaf, definitely go get your ear candeled, or whatever the term is.

-Joe.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:03 am

massage therapy and yoga = totally legit

ear candling = best left to snake oil salesmen
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 am

Will any of the neighborhood crack hos be giving away free services?
I poop on Petland!

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Just saw this morning that a church on about 34th(?) and Cottage Grove was having one of these today. They had a lot of shit this morning, might see what I can score after work!

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:39 pm

we have a child that went to drop in there for the past couple years, and we left flyers, and they really liked the idea so they decided to start on of their own! awesome!