I value my health and my life
21%
I am not from Des Moines
7%

Total votes: 29

inx515xhell

Re: Tasty Tacos v. Taco Casa

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:35 pm

if it looks like a taco, tastes like a taco, and walks like a taco...it's a taco. whether or not it contains meat.

rob, keep an eye out for "sweet cans", she's always working. also, sup with those mayan passes?

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 am

Taco Jerez
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:47 am

Beaver wrote:Enjoying some tasty Hj's right now. It owns you all. Always.
tasty handos? pick me up.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
jonnyROCKET wrote:I've never eaten Taco Casa, but I had some Tasty Tacos today, inspired by this thread.

Ames needs one. To drive Es Tas out of business.
Dude.

Taco Time

It really is.

ranch sauce.
nuff'
mmm yes.
Taco Time is better than Tasty, IMO. That could be 21 years of living in Ames speaking though.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:23 pm

The old Taco Time by Southridge was terrible. The employees there were like a Beavis and Butthead episode personified.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:49 pm

El Rhino wrote:The old Taco Time by Southridge was terrible. The employees there were like a Beavis and Butthead episode personified.
It went down hill, which maybe why it closed. I don't really remember eating anything there but the Taco Burgers and I want to say this would have been way back in the early 80s. I do remember being disappointed the last time I eat there.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

beejwins
Ex-Hippy

Post by beejwins » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 am

beejwins wrote:
jonnyROCKET wrote:I've never eaten Taco Casa, but I had some Tasty Tacos today, inspired by this thread.

Ames needs one. To drive Es Tas out of business.
agh es tas is the worst! i loved that place the most when we moved to ames but they've put so much meat into so many of my veggie burritos i gave up on them. plus the one server is such a fucking prick when they constantly making shit wrong. taco time is where its at. taco time and flying burrito
inx515xhell wrote:
DaVo wrote:Why even mention this is a topic about tacos? Generally, traditionally tacos come with some form of meat.
SO I TOTALLY DIDN'T EAT TWO TACOS WITH FAKE MEAT IN THEM. SHUT UP DAVO.
agreed. shut up davo
i just realized i'm such a dumbass and was talking about la fuente. es tas can rock some veggie tacos. although their shit is ultra overpriced. drink their beer and shots. that shit's cheap as fuck.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:52 am

TACOS

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:51 pm

FACT: it's harder to find a good taco in New York City than it is in Des Moines. Be proud.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Taqueria Jalisco at E 17th & Grand. 'nuff said.
I poop on Petland!

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:59 am

beejwins wrote:
i just realized i'm such a dumbass and was talking about la fuente. es tas can rock some veggie tacos. although their shit is ultra overpriced. drink their beer and shots. that shit's cheap as fuck.
La Fuente is amazing,
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 pm

I like the chili enchilada thing or whatever it is at Tasty Tacos. But over all I think I like Taco Casa better.

My favorite tacos are the ones from the taco truck at SE 14th and Maury.
It's hard to pray with broken hands

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:25 am

I was walking my dog home from the vet yesterday afternoon and was walking by Tasty Tacos. Even though I've never really liked anything I've got there, it smelled good so I thought I'd try something I hadn't had before. I don't like the deep fried taco shells so I got a couple corn shell tacos and some chili and chips. I don't know what's up with the taco meat, but it almost tasted like liver. The chili was damn good though.

That taco wagon on E 14th and Maury is damn good. My favorite is the one in the parking lot of Oasis liquor store by East High.
I poop on Petland!

oxblood

Post by oxblood » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:51 am

My vote would have to go to Tacos Marianas.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:55 am

Yuck. That place is gross.

oxblood

Post by oxblood » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 pm

I don’t know why I get cravings for the spicy steak tacos from time to time. If I’m sticking to the survey I’ll have to choose tasty tacos. I had Taco Casa once and thought I could get a better taco at Taco Johns…

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:32 pm

i used to like tacos marianas when it was next to marys. havent been to new one.

oxblood

Post by oxblood » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm

The new one is the same menu but a bigger location.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:43 pm

oxblood wrote:I don’t know why I get cravings for the spicy steak tacos from time to time. If I’m sticking to the survey I’ll have to choose tasty tacos. I had Taco Casa once and thought I could get a better taco at Taco Johns…
I agree. Taco John's tacos are better than Tasty Tacos or Taco Casa.

If you want awesome mexican food at a dirt cheap price, check out Taqueria Jalisco across the street from Kelly's Little Nipper on E Grand and 17th.
I poop on Petland!

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote: If you want awesome mexican food at a dirt cheap price, check out Los Laureles on E Grand and 15th.
Best salsa verde in town...hands down. Fuckers even have menudo on the menu if you want it.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Nick wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote: If you want stabbed by knife-wielding cholos, check out Los Laureles on E Grand and 15th.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

El Rhino wrote:
Nick wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote: If you want stabbed by knife-wielding cholos, check out Los Laureles on E Grand and 15th.
:roll:

I've never had a problem with cholos eating there? I remember going there about 12 years ago or so and everyone did look at us funny, as we were the only white people in the place and at the time, it was a packed restaurant. That's always the sign of a good ethnic restaurant if you ask me, in that, it will be filled with people of that ethnicity eating there. They know what's up. That shit is muy authentico.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:18 pm

ive only been to los laureles once. and i think it was mother daughter day. carnitas were good and cheap.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:20 pm

joseph wrote:ive only been to los laureles once. and i think it was mother daughter day. carnitas were good and cheap.
Dude....the carnitas with the chili verde sauce on them might be one of the best things I've eaten in Des Moines. So good, so flavorful, so tender. I want that now.

laffeyn

Post by laffeyn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Nick wrote:
I've never had a problem with cholos eating there? I remember going there about 12 years ago or so and everyone did look at us funny, as we were the only white people in the place and at the time.
I had this same experience the few times I've been there. Foods good but kicks my ass an hour or two later.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Nick wrote::roll:
That's always the sign of a good ethnic restaurant if you ask me, in that, it will be filled with people of that ethnicity eating there. They know what's up. That shit is muy authentico.
:roll: :roll:

Los Laureles is decent, but nothing particularly noteworthy. As far as being "authentico", "authentic" doesn't always equal "good" in my book. I'd rather eat something well-prepared that caters to my taste buds than to automatically assume that the culinary endeavors of third world peasants are going to be more desirable to something not authentic. Just a pet-peeve of mine whenever someone says something is "authentic".... Besides, by your standards being as is you're not Mexican how do you know what's authentic?

Other than sometimes providing the option of eating the parts of the animal we don't typically eat in the United States, there's nothing really different from any other Mexican restaurant other than the atmosphere...which fills up with knife-wielding cholos on weekend nights. It's an agreeable place to eat usually (I haven't been there in a few years), but nothing special.

As far as Mexican food goes, I would like to see a restaurant that has more of the high brow Spanish-influenced foods one would find in the Mexico City/Guadalajara area. Pretty much everywhere here offers little outside the realm of spiced meat put into a tortilla.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:02 pm

El Rhino wrote:Besides, by your standards being as is you're not Mexican how do you know what's authentic?
^^^Triple eyeroll worthy stuff here. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Why do you assume that just because I am not of Mexican decent I cannot, therefore, plausibly know what authentic Mexican food is? I've been to Mexico 6 different times. I've eaten everywhere there from hole in the wall shacks where some old woman is hand making tamales in Akumal to 4-star restaurants on Lake Chapala in Ajijic that had some of the best freshwater fish I've ever had.

I mean...I don't really want to sit here and argue about Mexican restaurants in Des Moines, IA. I just know that the food I've had at Los Laureles is different than the shit you get at most other local Mexican restaurants (ala El Rodeo, El Aguilla Real, El Monterrey, etc.). I mean, those places are decent to, but if you want more "variety" and different flavors (mole, verde, adobo, etc.) then I'd suggest people try Los Laureles.

And I agree...a more upscale Mexican restaurant that offered nice Mexican seafood dishes or something would be nice. I mean, Dos Rios sure tries, but that place generally blows and I'd much rather eat at the cheaper, better local joints than that trendy joke.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 am

Don't roll your fucking eyes at me.

I'm kind of fucking with you because of your "because Mexicans eat there it must be good, they know what's up" and comments about it being all authentic. It's a big pet-peeve of mine and you can read all about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2252&hilit=authentic

Anyways, I've never been to Dos Rios and never plan on it. It looks gayer than Christopher Lowell.

Shamone Jackson

Post by Shamone Jackson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:03 am

Big Fat Retard wrote:Gotta go with Taco Casa. I've tried Tasty Tacos, but never liked it. I've never been a fan of the deep fried taco shell. I've been to Taco Casa a few times and it was pretty good every time. Nothing to rave over, but the price was right and when you're baked it tastes really good.

If you want good burritos and shit, try the local taco wagons.
Never eat at the wagons. You are supporting illegal immigration there.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 am

Don't roll your fucking eyes at me.
ahhahahahahha/ spoken like a TRU ambassador